What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Not really fussed on the signing, I was fairly happy with:

2. Thompson
3. Momirovski
4. Marsters
5. Nofoaluma

My guess is he’s been brought over to be in the starting side. Wonder who misses out?

Either way we’re going to have better depth then previous years when the likes of MWZ, Rankin etc were getting games

Vozzy

Juniors
From what I saw last year Thompson is my first back picked even over the likes of Mbye. I thought tigers season went downhill the moment Thompson got moved from fullback to wing and then got injured. I would actually have Thompson at fullback he ran the ball back the hardest. But Mbye will be starting cos he is captain. So I guess Nofo will be in reserves or maybe Jennings can play centre?

Fordy20

Juniors
Fully expecting Jennings and Nofo on the wings with Marsters and Momo in the centres. Thompson for injury cover for outside backs.

I'm a little worried about whether Tyson Gamble will hang around with both Benji and Reynolds fit.

WT2K

Juniors

2. Thompson
3. Momirovski
4. Marsters
5. Nofoaluma

My guess is he’s been brought over to be in the starting side. Wonder who misses out?

Either way we’re going to have better depth then previous years when the likes of MWZ, Rankin etc were getting games
Not sure where he'll play. Saw on twitter that he's played 13 games under madge in 2017 and 11 of those were at centre

Tiger Ted

Bench
Fully expecting Jennings and Nofo on the wings with Marsters and Momo in the centres. Thompson for injury cover for outside backs.

I'm a little worried about whether Tyson Gamble will hang around with both Benji and Reynolds fit.
I can’t c how Nofo makes the team.He has been a major disappointment & on last yrs form Thompson has him covered for a spot on the wing.

If Fonua drops weight & meets the kpi’s imposed on him by Madge he will also jump Nofo in the pecking order & wont surprise if he cements a 1st grade spot.Nevertheless suddenly we have a no. of guys fighting for the 2-5 spots & although there’s no superstar we r in a much better position than last season with depth & most importantly re our overall roster.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

2. Thompson
3. Momirovski
4. Marsters
5. Nofoaluma

I cant accept that Momirovski is a walk up start for the NRL side. I saw him in ISP last season a number of times and he rarely did anything. Reminded me of Dane Nielsen for some reason.

It's too big a risk to play Thompson on the wing. He's bound to be out leapt.

I would personally play him at fullback and play Mbye at left centre.
Thompson
Nofoaluma
Mbye
Masters
Jennings

Ron's_Mate

Bench
NRL gives green light for Jennings to join Tigers under the cap
February 19, 2019 — 10.04pm

Robert Jennings looks set to sign with the Wests Tigers after the joint venture was reportedly told they could fit him under their salary cap.

The Tigers' salary cap for the forthcoming NRL season is under a cloud as they respond to alleged breaches after offering veteran hooker Robbie Farah an ambassadorial role.

As well as deregistering chief executive Justin Pascoe, the club was hit with a $639,000 salary cap reduction.

But it was widely reported on Tuesday the NRL has given the club approval to proceed with signing Jennings and assured them the deal would not put them over the 2019 salary cap limit.

Club officials have denied any wrongdoing in their response to the NRL's breach notice and are confident of a favourable outcome once their appeal is finalised.

An NRL spokesman said the governing body would not comment on any ongoing investigation.

Winger Jennings could not come to an agreement with the Rabbitohs despite a strong 2018 which saw him finish third on the try-scorer's list with 19 - only behind David Fusitu'a and Valentine Holmes.

His departure from Redfern will open the door for the Rabbitohs to complete the signing of North Queensland forward Ethan Lowe.

AAP

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...oin-tigers-under-the-cap-20190219-p50ywy.html

Vic Mackey

Referee
I cant accept that Momirovski is a walk up start for the NRL side. I saw him in ISP last season a number of times and he rarely did anything. Reminded me of Dane Nielsen for some reason.

It's too big a risk to play Thompson on the wing. He's bound to be out leapt.

I would personally play him at fullback and play Mbye at left centre.
Thompson
Nofoaluma
Mbye
Masters
Jennings

I agree, I watched a bit of Momirovski after we signed him and he didn’t stand out at all. I’m fairness though centers seems to be the hardest position to stand out in nsw Cup. The halves at that level are usually garbage so the centers never get decent ball. They’re virtually restricted to dummyhalf running. For example Marsters never stood out in nsw Cup, yet when he got a go at NRL he was a totally different player.

Think you’re being a bit harsh on Thompson. I’d argue he was in our top 3 players last year, certainly better then Nofa. However going off Madge’s history he likes big aggressive players so that might go against Thompson.

Thompson is a good player but he lacks that size which is almost essential in wingers nowadays. I think he will start the season in NSW Cup and if we have injuries/form drops he might get a look in. Sadly with the height he has he will always have a ceiling on him in the NRL.

Tigerm

First Grade
NRL gives green light for Jennings to join Tigers under the cap
February 19, 2019 — 10.04pm

Robert Jennings looks set to sign with the Wests Tigers after the joint venture was reportedly told they could fit him under their salary cap.

The Tigers' salary cap for the forthcoming NRL season is under a cloud as they respond to alleged breaches after offering veteran hooker Robbie Farah an ambassadorial role.

As well as deregistering chief executive Justin Pascoe, the club was hit with a $639,000 salary cap reduction.

But it was widely reported on Tuesday the NRL has given the club approval to proceed with signing Jennings and assured them the deal would not put them over the 2019 salary cap limit.

Club officials have denied any wrongdoing in their response to the NRL's breach notice and are confident of a favourable outcome once their appeal is finalised.

An NRL spokesman said the governing body would not comment on any ongoing investigation.

Winger Jennings could not come to an agreement with the Rabbitohs despite a strong 2018 which saw him finish third on the try-scorer's list with 19 - only behind David Fusitu'a and Valentine Holmes.

His departure from Redfern will open the door for the Rabbitohs to complete the signing of North Queensland forward Ethan Lowe.

AAP

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...oin-tigers-under-the-cap-20190219-p50ywy.html
I wonder if Musgrove's $'s are included in this as well (provided he plays)?

Thompson is a good player but he lacks that size which is almost essential in wingers nowadays. I think he will start the season in NSW Cup and if we have injuries/form drops he might get a look in. Sadly with the height he has he will always have a ceiling on him in the NRL.

Can't see him dropping our top try scorer.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3e97a0533d2b3d9c825a3b6cf64b833b
Ryan Matterson keen to make big impression with Wests Tigers after off-season switch from Roosters
The easy option for Ryan Matterson would’ve been to stay. He had two more years on his deal at the Sydney Roosters, where his versatility made him a key part of their 2018 premiership triumph.
But, when the club signed Angus Crichton to play in his favoured right back-row spot, Matterson made what he believed was the best decision for his career.

“They wanted him at right back row - I wanted to play right back row. They said they wanted me playing lock,” Matterson said.
“I said, ‘Yeah, that’s okay’. But I wanted to play my own style of football. I said, ‘I think this is the best time to leave’.”

The 24-year-old went on to become a critical part of Trent Robinson’s bench, having the versatility of playing centre, second row and lock.

But, Matterson craved a bigger role and, after talking to a number of clubs, including junior club Parramatta, opted to shift to Concord.

He insisted he had no concern with the move despite the controversial exit of then-coach Ivan Cleary and the appointment last last year of Michael Maguire.

“I only talked to Ivan once, but I wasn’t really worrying about who was coaching me. I just wanted to go to a club that wanted me,” Matterson said.

“I really wanted an opportunity to cement my spot in the team and to become a leader, become a role model and have people look up to me.

“I want to actually help people. I wanted someone to give me a fair go and play my style. I think the move to the Wests Tigers was the best decision for me.”

Matterson was a surprise showing in mid-November on day one of the Tigers’ pre-season, just a handful of weeks after the Roosters’ grand final victory.

He admitted wanting to join his premiership-winning teammates on their celebratory trip to Las Vegas, however was prevented by salary-cap measures. The US sojourn apparently came under the 2019 cap, which didn’t include Matterson in the squad.

“I wanted to go, but I quickly realised that I’m no longer at the Roosters and I’ve got a new brotherhood to form,” he said.

“There’s only a certain time that you can cherish (the grand final win) because then you’ve got to put it in the past and move forward for the next year.

“Especially when you’re starting at a new club, you can’t really bring that hype about winning a grand final to a new team because they haven’t experienced it.

“And you don’t want to come across with an ego, either. So you’ve got to put it behind you and then move on and focus on a new goal with the team.”

Latest posts