What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

deluded pom?

Coach
Toronto and Toulouse comfortable winners last night - Toronto 30-6 over Widnes in the double header at Newcastle, Toulouse thumped Rochdale 42-12.

On Friday night Sheffield beat Bradford 24-10.
The other part of the double header was an interesting game. Newcastle went in at half time 22-4 up. The second half was then one way traffic until Newcastle scored a very late consolation try and forfeited the conversion attempt. Final score Newcastle 26 v Doncaster 32.

Stallion

First Grade
The other part of the double header was an interesting game. Newcastle went in at half time 22-4 up. The second half was then one way traffic until Newcastle scored a very late consolation try and forfeited the conversion attempt. Final score Newcastle 26 v Doncaster 32.

Was the double header well attended? Just wondering whether Toronto and Toulouse attract a crowd or not.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Apparently 400 Widnes fans made up that crowd of 1817.

Hope thunder can bounce back from this defeat straight away.

Stallion

First Grade
Apparently 400 Widnes fans made up that crowd of 1817.

Hope thunder can bounce back from this defeat straight away.

I assume the championship is fairly low in game attendances excepting the Toronto Wolfpack home games in Canada. Wonder how Toulouse go with home ground attendances. I'm aware they are searching for a suitable home ground. Let's hope they do so.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I assume the championship is fairly low in game attendances excepting the Toronto Wolfpack home games in Canada. Wonder how Toulouse go with home ground attendances. I'm aware they are searching for a suitable home ground. Let's hope they do so.
Same story, attendances at that link

adamkungl

Immortal
Sheffield gone 3 for 3 along with Toronto.
Could Sheffield be the real deal? Widnes this week. Round 8-9-10 the real test, York Toronto Toulouse.

Bradford and York another big game this week, and Sky picking up Toronto v Leigh

Has anyone worked out how to watch Wolfpack games in Aus yet?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sheffield gone 3 for 3 along with Toronto.
Could Sheffield be the real deal? Widnes this week. Round 8-9-10 the real test, York Toronto Toulouse.

Bradford and York another big game this week, and Sky picking up Toronto v Leigh

Has anyone worked out how to watch Wolfpack games in Aus yet?
Odd that Fox picks up the SL games from Sky, but not the Wolfpack ones.

Can it be streamed on cbcsports? https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't understand how RL clubs so often get themselves into this position
Surely it's preferable to have a weaker squad and compete than roll the dice on a star squad and collapse if it (likely) fails

deluded pom?

Coach
I don't understand how RL clubs so often get themselves into this position
Surely it's preferable to have a weaker squad and compete than roll the dice on a star squad and collapse if it (likely) fails
The one I can never understand is usually these clubs are owned by people who have made their own money yet basic business sense flies straight out of the window once they take control of a sports team. It defies logic.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The one I can never understand is usually these clubs are owned by people who have made their own money yet basic business sense flies straight out of the window once they take control of a sports team. It defies logic.

Yeah I really don't get the attitude of throwing all the eggs in first time promotion basket at the expense of the longevity of the club.

To me the league they have the mechanism correct in p&r but should be looking at two smaller more elite divisions rather than cramming 26 clubs of a vast range of diverse financial positions (and potential) without adequate Central funding. Ten team SL and 10 team championship and focus the central funding amoung those 20.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't understand people blaming the system or the RFL here.

It seems a fairly straightforward matter of a small number of people spending more money than the club has on a high risk outcome, then bailing when the going gets tough.

adamkungl

Immortal
Regarding Widnes future

There's talk of the club and licence being bought and moved to Liverpool.

I absolutely support big city expansion in the sport but it would be a crying shame to lose high level Rugby League in Widnes, which has huge history, passionate fans and strong player development.
Their days in Super League are undoubtedly over. One of the smallest towns in the top 2 leagues, surrounded by bigger stronger clubs.
Hopefully they rebuild and concentrate on sustainable local player development rather than high risk-reward promotion scenarios.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Regarding Widnes future

There's talk of the club and licence being bought and moved to Liverpool.

I absolutely support big city expansion in the sport but it would be a crying shame to lose high level Rugby League in Widnes, which has huge history, passionate fans and strong player development.
Their days in Super League are undoubtedly over. One of the smallest towns in the top 2 leagues, surrounded by bigger stronger clubs.
Hopefully they rebuild and concentrate on sustainable local player development rather than high risk-reward promotion scenarios.

Are the rumours buying the club and licence or just the licence? I would think the better solution would be to buy the licence (and any players they want) and start a new club in Liverpool or wherever the buyers want to start. Then let the Widnes club start at the bottom of the pyramid again.

I don't know what their debt problems are but surely a championship licence in itself is worth something?

adamkungl

Immortal
Are the rumours buying the club and licence or just the licence? I would think the better solution would be to buy the licence (and any players they want) and start a new club in Liverpool or wherever the buyers want to start. Then let the Widnes club start at the bottom of the pyramid again.

I don't know what their debt problems are but surely a championship licence in itself is worth something?

Widnes can't be in the pyramid without the licence, so there's not really much different between the 2 options.

Latest posts