What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

VictoryFC

Bench
So why are 9 not doing the same for Origin and NRL GF. We know it is BS, TV sets are left on but people stop paying attention but if it is how the game works, let's have:

State of Origin:Trophy Presentation Ceremony
NRL GF: Awared Presentation Ceremony

There is two extra NRL programs that would certainly be in the top 10 meaning that we would then have 60% of the top 10 sewed up.

Keep in mind that ratings aren't based on any actual measurements of TVs being left on. It's all collated by a 'sample' of people (no more than 10,000) who represent the whole of Australia and write what they watch in their little diaries.

wittyfan's link shows Nine did break it up, but somehow we're meant to believe that almost half the people watching NRL GF switched off at the end of the game, while just 70k did so for the auskick.

All that tells me is that they're using accounting tricks. Because NRL final was decided well before full time, it's likely many people had already switched off before FT. But because auskick one was close, the 2 second spillover from fulltime into the 'presentation' portion of the broadcast meant people would've been liklier to say that they watched some part of the post-full time broadcast. In reality, probably half the viewers switched off in the few minutes following the end of the game, and certainly didn't hang around to watch the presentation.

It just goes to show that breaking the broadcasts down into segments is a way for networks to boost the appearance of major events in ratings charts, and it's sketchy.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Keep in mind that ratings aren't based on any actual measurements of TVs being left on. It's all collated by a 'sample' of people (no more than 10,000) who represent the whole of Australia and write what they watch in their little diaries.

wittyfan's link shows Nine did break it up, but somehow we're meant to believe that almost half the people watching NRL GF switched off at the end of the game, while just 70k did so for the auskick.

All that tells me is that they're using accounting tricks. Because NRL final was decided well before full time, it's likely many people had already switched off before FT. But because auskick one was close, the 2 second spillover from fulltime into the 'presentation' portion of the broadcast meant people would've been liklier to say that they watched some part of the post-full time broadcast. In reality, probably half the viewers switched off in the few minutes following the end of the game, and certainly didn't hang around to watch the presentation.

It just goes to show that breaking the broadcasts down into segments is a way for networks to boost the appearance of major events in ratings charts, and it's sketchy.

I was under the impression that ratings were measured through digital set-tops. Enough of these are distributed to generate data from a reasonable sample-size of the population. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it is done these days. If that is true, it makes sense that the post-game shows rate highly because the box remains on and tuned to the same chanel even though most have lost interest because the game is over.

tri_colours

Juniors
So why are 9 not doing the same for Origin and NRL GF. We know it is BS, TV sets are left on but people stop paying attention but if it is how the game works, let's have:

State of Origin:Trophy Presentation Ceremony
NRL GF: Awared Presentation Ceremony

There is two extra NRL programs that would certainly be in the top 10 meaning that we would then have 60% of the top 10 sewed up.

They do! but it doesn't have the same affect. The post match Medal presentation is the most exciting part of an AFL match.

Generalzod

Immortal

Yep I remember taking part in a survey which we had to note down what we where watching at the time....

Latest posts