What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels target Luke

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Get a room and f**k already you two
I ain't the one derailing the thread for the purposes of trolling. We can find the instigating post for each thread villa starts it off on.

I might report it cos it's clear who's trolling and derailing the thread and has a HISTORY of doing so.

Iafeta

Referee
They love playing Russian Roulette don’t they? Ahhh but they’re the best this management team. It’s like a jenga puzzle.

Sort it out I’d suggest.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
They love playing Russian Roulette don’t they? Ahhh but they’re the best this management team. It’s like a jenga puzzle.

Sort it out I’d suggest.

Cmon mate. They have no control over Parra paying ridiculous overs for Issac. Did you want them to upgrade him for no reason despite the fact at negotiation time he had one sole bidder, who pulled out?

We might have the cash but if we pay 700k or that sort of ball park for a guy who's played one good season in 3, is aging, has historic motivation issues and the fact it stops us being able to sign anything that comes up ie a great prop...I'm not saying dont do it because we need a quality hooker but it's fraught with risk.

Big Marn

Juniors
Cmon mate. They have no control over Parra paying ridiculous overs for Issac. Did you want them to upgrade him for no reason despite the fact at negotiation time he had one sole bidder, who pulled out?

We might have the cash but if we pay 700k or that sort of ball park for a guy who's played one good season in 3, is aging, has historic motivation issues and the fact it stops us being able to sign anything that comes up ie a great prop...I'm not saying dont do it because we need a quality hooker but it's fraught with risk.
i feel the same way. We havent had value for money in the 3 years we had him (overall) so why take the risk on losing even more on the signing by paying overs again. The best i would offer would be some target bonuses that he would get at the end of the year if achieved.

Iafeta

Referee

Ridiculous overs?

The alleged numbers are $350k per year for 2 years for a test international hooker who also finished high up in the Dally M Hooker of the Year points. The salary cap is what $10m for 30 players. With simple maths you can work out they are offering him the average salary.

If he goes, we also have to replace him in the squad for salary cap purposes. The base salary now I believe is $100k, so losing Issac will not improve our salary cap position to any extent either.

Remember, we were prepared to play a chap who hasn’t played first grade $60000 per year for 5 years.

We took a risk to see how long we could keep Issac on a low salary and our bluff has been called. We will end up relying on a chap who has barely been able to get on the field over the past year or so, or Jazz. Blind Freddie can see that won’t work out well.

waipiro

Juniors

Remember, we were prepared to play a chap who hasn’t played first grade $60000 per year for 5 years.

We took a risk to see how long we could keep Issac on a low salary and our bluff has been called. We will end up relying on a chap who has barely been able to get on the field over the past year or so, or Jazz. Blind Freddie can see that won’t work out well.

I dont think we can offer Luke multi years and retain our young guys and as a multi year proposition it probably has to much risk attached. If he took a few more bucks for a single year its more beneficial to the club but i dont think Luke would take that.

In comparison, and probabaly not apples with apples, Offering Brown 600k a year is a good decision imo....... Hes young, he has a big rep, and if he goes well this year you wouldnt get close with a 600k offer next year.

Rich102

Staff member
Ridiculous overs?

The alleged numbers are $350k per year for 2 years for a test international hooker who also finished high up in the Dally M Hooker of the Year points. The salary cap is what $10m for 30 players. With simple maths you can work out they are offering him the average salary.

If he goes, we also have to replace him in the squad for salary cap purposes. The base salary now I believe is $100k, so losing Issac will not improve our salary cap position to any extent either.

I must have read the article wrong. I thought the Eels were offering him $700,000 per year. If it's only $350,000 a year then it's an easy decision.

Maybe Zero's right - I can't read.

Rich102

Staff member
"According to the report, the Eels are considering whether to offer Luke $700,000 season for 2019 and 2020."

I would have thought this implied $7000, 000 a season.

Iafeta

Referee
$730k over 2 years per SMH.

As for Issac holding back others... errrm, who has earned that right? Roache has barely made it into the field. Do we let RTS go so Perham gets game time? I doubt very much that Nathanael will throw his toys out, at the moment he would be more concerned with staying injury free rather than claim an 80 minute spot. Highly doubt also other clubs would be targeting him with a guaranteed spot given the injuries.

Luke can only puts this on himself for having a bad rep of being a lazy merkin in non contract years. He done well in 2018 loved every moment of it but lets be real here. His shoulder is shot and despite it healing in the off season (Still on target for a Round 1 start) his aging body will only get slower and more injury prone. I don't mind us matching for 1 year with an option of 1 more year in the club's favor. If he wants out then let him go. Risky business either way that is business 101.

Roache, Lawton, Cook & Mullaney will keep it fresh and competitive. I know the experience of Luke ppl rave on about (Tiresome talk) is critical in a key spine position. I get that shit.

What I like about this management is their balls of steel of putting the team first. Nothing more refreshing than seeing strong leadership put the club, fans and shareholders first. They want success and have the right people around them to get that to reality. The SJ scenario really stomped their mark on this club. NOBODY is more important than the TEAM.

Imagine if Luke had a solid 2017 with his 2018 season. We wouldn't be having this discussion.

Like SJ. Luke is not more important than the overall team so this is on him only.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12207452

Rugby league: Warriors reworking contract with hooker Issac Luke to wave off offers from rival clubs

The Warriors are keen to upgrade hooker Issac Luke's contract and remove a clause that would allow him to leave if he receives a lucrative offer to join a rival NRL club.

Reports out of Sydney last week suggested the Warriors were in danger of losing Luke before the start of the upcoming season with Parramatta ready to pounce with a two-year deal worth $700,000.

The 31-year-old former Kiwi international re-signed with the Warriors on a cut-price one-year deal last October but negotiated a clause that would allow him to leave before June 30 if he received a significant offer from another club.

The arrangement was put in place to allow Luke to be able to look after his family if he was in line to receive a big payday and better security through a longer term deal.

However, Luke yesterday told the Warriors he had not yet received any offers and has reassured coach Stephen Kearney and CEO Cameron George that he remains commited for 2019.

The Herald understands the club will meet today with Luke's agent and look to rework his contract to give him more money and have the get-out clause removed.

"I'm pretty confident that we can get that result," said Kearney.

"I've spoken to Bully. Obviously his family have been settled here for three years now so we'll see what transpires in the next 24 hours, but I'm pretty confident that we'll get that sorted."

Luke recommitted to the Warriors last year after failing to attract much interest from rival clubs despite enjoying his best season since arriving from South Sydney in 2016.

Newcastle coach Nathan Brown was keen to lure him across the Tasman but the Knights withdrew their offer after learning he required a shoulder reconstruction and was no certainty to be fit for the opening rounds.

The Warriors refused to throw big dollars at Luke and resisted offering a long-term deal after he underperformed during his first two seasons in Auckland.

The move left them vulnerable to losing Luke but the 254 game veteran yesterday underlined his intent to honour his contract and desire to remain in New Zealand.

"Bully stuck his head into my office yesterday," explained George.

"He told me he's preparing well to play footy here and what he's reading in the papers is what he's reading. He hasn't had any discussions around another offer.

"I respect him for that. He's obviously been hearing a lot of noise so he just came and had a chat with me to clear the air."

Given Luke's openness and honesty the Warriors are optimistic they will be able to resolve the matter easily in a manner that is satisfactory to both parties.

Luke is nearing full fitness but is still racing the clock to be cleared to play in the Warriors season opener against Canterbury at Mt Smart Stadium on March 16.

Back-up hooker Nathaniel Roache made an impressive comeback in last Friday's trial win over Melbourne but Kearney will be relieved to have both players on deck for the upcoming campaign.

There is always the possibility of course that Luke could earn another contract extension if he can replicate last year's form and dispel any concerns over his shoulder and long-term health.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ridiculous overs?

OK, the media didn't make it crystal clear. $350k a year we should pay. And even if Parra didn't want him, I'd suggest paying him more would make sense anyway - you don't want a guy with motivation issues on minimum wage, running round with complete unprovens on the same or more money than him...when even if his first two years were rubbish with us, he was a top 5 hooker in the NRL last year

playdaball

Bench
Well done to Luke’s manager, he did a great job in getting further $$ for Issac. Were Parra ever semi serious about signing him? Don’t forget that clubs were not lining up to sign him The Knights got scared off last year. Did the Warriors have to give him extra dollars? Could they have offered this as an incentive e.g. you’ll get a bonus if you play Xx amount of games.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Well done to Luke’s manager, he did a great job in getting further $$ for Issac. Were Parra ever semi serious about signing him? Don’t forget that clubs were not lining up to sign him The Knights got scared off last year. Did the Warriors have to give him extra dollars? Could they have offered this as an incentive e.g. you’ll get a bonus if you play Xx amount of games.

Remember he’s now a fair way through his rehab process from surgery and apparently doing well. The knights opportunity happened at the worst possible time when he neeedrd surgery but was yet to have it, so they baulked at the risk of him not coming good.hes now I’m a much stronger bargaining position.

Latest posts