What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Conference competition, winner of each plays off in RLSuper bowl

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
At that point why bother, just give the license to a new locally owned and operated franchise and let them create their own brand and identity. Saddling them with a dead Sydney clubs brand would be pointless and in most cases counterproductive, I doubt there're to many people in Perth/wherever that would be willing to be saddled with a Sydney clubs legacy over creating their own identity.

If it was the ONLY way for them to get a license and all they had to do was accept colours and a mascot, i reckon there would be a few willing to take it on...

The story the choose to tell beyond that is up to them.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Not before

AS the Grand Final

Let the Cowboys Broncos and Titans merge with Qld Cup and let that conference be run by QRL. Maybe even Melbourne

While NSWRL can operate as is with its NRL clubs and maybe re add Norths and Newtown

I think the closest we would ever realisticLly get to this is a Challenge Cup style NRL9s

Invite some semi pro teams/foreign teams into to comp, like the old Amco Cup...

The Great Dane

First Grade
If it was the ONLY way for them to get a license and all they had to do was accept colours and a mascot, i reckon there would be a few willing to take it on...

The story the choose to tell beyond that is up to them.

It’s not bidders rejecting a Sydney brand that I’d be worried about... Tie the new club to an old brand and you tie it to the baggage that comes with that brand, for example if Perth was forced to continue the Tigers legacy all it’s going to do is alienate every RL fan in Perth that isn’t already a Tigers fan (realistically it’ll alienate a good chunk of them as well).
Alienating the majority of your audience before you’ve even started is obviously a really bad idea, but what would they be getting for doing that, a fan base in Sydney? Let’s be honest the vast majority of Sydney based fans are going to dump the club in under a decade if the brand is relocated and attached to a new club.

So really all the NRL would be doing by forcing a new club to pick up a Sydney brand is handicapping them in what is supposed to be their target market and artificially trying to force them to pick up a secondary market that will never accept them in large numbers anyway, at which point we come back to what would be the point in doing that at all?

siv

First Grade
You want to take 16 nrl clubs, turn them into 32 and give half the current nrl $13million grant? Do you want to half the salary cap to $5million as well? I can see some very big holes in this idea lol.

Maybe but the way the ARLC is setup based upon the old 1928 ARL structure where NSW and QLD had equal footing

But back then we didnt have a elite layer

If we want to operate like that then the NRL layer needs to also end and revert back to its pre 1987 format

Everyone in Qld tells us how great the Qld Cup is - so let them return and operate at a higher level.

Anyway it wouldnt be 32 clubs. I would max at 24

We speak of regionals v Sydney as a option. Then NSW v Rest is also a option

There are 11 NSW NRL teams so you can grow to 12 or 14

The rest has 5 clubs today and you have Redcliffe Ipswich Perth wanting to join thats 8 so growth to 12 would not be difficult

There is reduced funding in NSW but funding increase in QLD

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It’s not bidders rejecting a Sydney brand that I’d be worried about... Tie the new club to an old brand and you tie it to the baggage that comes with that brand, for example if Perth was forced to continue the Tigers legacy all it’s going to do is alienate every RL fan in Perth that isn’t already a Tigers fan (realistically it’ll alienate a good chunk of them as well).
Alienating the majority of your audience before you’ve even started is obviously a really bad idea, but what would they be getting for doing that, a fan base in Sydney? Let’s be honest the vast majority of Sydney based fans are going to dump the club in under a decade if the brand is relocated and attached to a new club.

So really all the NRL would be doing by forcing a new club to pick up a Sydney brand is handicapping them in what is supposed to be their target market and artificially trying to force them to pick up a secondary market that will never accept them in large numbers anyway, at which point we come back to what would be the point in doing that at all?

Lets take Perth as an example...

Any pre-existing NRL fan will already have a team whether the Perth brand is new or old, but they will almost certainly take the new Perth team as their "second" team based on being their local. Whether it is the Perth Tigers/Pirates/whatever, this will always be true (New fans just wont know the difference at all). RL fans in Perth will still turn up just to see premium RL.

No expansion team

Let’s be honest the vast majority of Sydney based fans are going to dump the club in under a decade if the brand is relocated and attached to a new club.

This is actually a good thing. THis isnt about giving the expansion teams a Sydney base, whats the f*cking point fo that. Its about dealing with the politics of expansion/resucing Sydney oversaturation...

In 10 years, it wont matter whether they are an old brand or a new one. But what this DOES do is manage short term politics; we get 2 more expansion teams, one less sydney club and WTs fans are (though maybe not happy) at least pacified.

I get this isnt perfect, but in a choice between this and nothing changing at all, i would back this.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lets take Perth as an example...

Any pre-existing NRL fan will already have a team whether the Perth brand is new or old, but they will almost certainly take the new Perth team as their "second" team based on being their local. Whether it is the Perth Tigers/Pirates/whatever, this will always be true (New fans just wont know the difference at all). RL fans in Perth will still turn up just to see premium RL.

No expansion team

Sure but most pre-existing NRL fans won't take teams that they hate or at least have been strongly opposed to for an extended period of time on as a second team... A new brand means no baggage, old brand brings all the baggage along with it.

This is actually a good thing. THis isnt about giving the expansion teams a Sydney base, whats the f*cking point fo that. Its about dealing with the politics of expansion/resucing Sydney oversaturation...

In 10 years, it wont matter whether they are an old brand or a new one. But what this DOES do is manage short term politics; we get 2 more expansion teams, one less sydney club and WTs fans are (though maybe not happy) at least pacified.

I get this isnt perfect, but in a choice between this and nothing changing at all, i would back this.

Except that is a false dichotomy, and the choice isn't only between your proposed scenario and nothing changing at all.

It's not even clear that any form of rationalisation is on the table at all, but if it is on the table I can't really see the point of going to all the trouble of kicking merged clubs out of the comp then forcing new clubs to take on their identities in an attempt to appease the old merged clubs fans when realistically they aren't going to be happy with anything but their team in it's original form anyway, especially when realistically forcing the old Sydney club identities on the new clubs will only handicap them...

If the NRL accepted that they needed to rationalise and actually went about it then why would they go to all that hassle when they could simply either force some Sydney clubs to relocate and get similar results or simply force them out of the NRL and into the NSW Cup and sell their license to the NRL's preferred bidder?

siv

First Grade
Sounds like we should cull Canberra and Gold Coast to let Perth and Ipswich in

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds like the clubs believe the NRL would like to see a Sydney team to fall over, or it could be sharks being paranoid!

"Cronulla will not be the first club that falls victim, or becomes the first casualty, to the NRL’s intent to maybe expand the game or use an existing license," Mezzatesta said. "That won’t be our club.

"I can sit here and tell you very confidently we won’t be that club that will be relocating. Whilst we’re faced with adversity, it makes it hard to write sponsorship. But I have never come across a more resilient brand than the Sharks."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sharks-are-here-to-stay-insists-cronulla-boss-20190202-p50vaa.html

siv

First Grade
Sydney clubs have long memories

From the original demise of Glebe to Newtown and then Wests in 1983

To the post SL war cull and its huge damage to the Sydney RL framework

Wests and Souths fought tooth and nail to save their clubs through the courts

Clubs and their fans don't trust the admin

I could see all Sydney or NSW clubs one day on mass quit the NRL and work as a standalone NSWRL league and renegotiate their own TV deal etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course they don't trust them, they have one singular vested interest where as the games commission has responsibility for the whole game. Its why it is a crazy idea to give clubs and the NSWRL/QRL seats at the decision making table.

Maybe, why do you think the NRL wants forever license agreements? However getting every NSW club to agree on anything, let alone create a SL2 without the big clubs is a laughable notion.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I could see all Sydney or NSW clubs one day on mass quit the NRL and work as a standalone NSWRL league and renegotiate their own TV deal etc

This would be hilarious!!!

Clubs can only agree that the all disagree with everything the ARLC does. Imagine if they actually tried to break away and lead themselves. They would tear each other apart.

I am guessing it is not an issue though. Im sure the ARLC has learned from the 1990s ARLs f*ck ups and actually have decent licence agreements that will hold up in court

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Such as? If you remember back in the super league competition none of the clubs who defected could use their emblems as they were trademarks of the ARL.

The agreements were thrown out by the high court because the SL clubs were forced to sign them under duress. I believe the story was that the ARL heard about SL, brought all the clubs into a room and said "no lawyers, sign these 5-year agreements before you leave or you are out".

ARLC seem to have learned their lesson from that stupid 1-year agreement thing Arko was pulling. The agreements clubs have signed now will hold up much better, im certain.

Stallion

First Grade
Sydney clubs have long memories

From the original demise of Glebe to Newtown and then Wests in 1983

To the post SL war cull and its huge damage to the Sydney RL framework

Wests and Souths fought tooth and nail to save their clubs through the courts

Clubs and their fans don't trust the admin

Or see the total demise of the NRL!

tri_colours

Juniors
The agreements were thrown out by the high court because the SL clubs were forced to sign them under duress. I believe the story was that the ARL heard about SL, brought all the clubs into a room and said "no lawyers, sign these 5-year agreements before you leave or you are out".

ARLC seem to have learned their lesson from that stupid 1-year agreement thing Arko was pulling. The agreements clubs have signed now will hold up much better, im certain.

Upheld by the judge. The 5 year agreements were only overturned on appeal. So I'm not sure how they were a complete f@ck up .The guy responsible for drawing the agreements up was an accomplished lawyer himself.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Upheld by the judge. The 5 year agreements were only overturned on appeal. So I'm not sure how they were a complete f@ck up .The guy responsible for drawing the agreements up was an accomplished lawyer himself.

A contract that holds up in court half the time? Greeaaaaaat......

I dont blame the lawyer, it was the ARLs fault for leaving it so late. Pure arrogance.

The Great Dane

First Grade
A contract that holds up in court half the time? Greeaaaaaat......

I dont blame the lawyer, it was the ARLs fault for leaving it so late. Pure arrogance.

The fact that it was repealed means that it didn't hold up in court at all really.

MugaB

Coach
We should have more teams, which means more fans and games to watch, I’d like to see this format

Conference One
Newcastle
Lake Macquarie
Central Coast
North Sydney
Manly
Cronulla
St George
Souths
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Nth Qld
West Brisbane
Port Moresby

Conference Two
Sydney
Canterbury
Parramatta
Penrith
Balmain
West’s
Illawarra
Auckland
Wellington
Melbourne
Perth
Adelaide
Canberra

Each top 8 go into elimination finals producing a top 4 for each conference, then
semi finals, then a final for Conference winners.
Each conference winner then plays off in an NRL Super Bowl, held in the capital city’s of either Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide, one week after the AFL decider.
I got an idea, with the two conferences...

conference 1
Sydney
Souths
Wests
Parramatta
Stgeorge
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Manly
Brisbane 2

conference 2
Brisbane
Nth Qld
Auckland
Penrith
Canterbury
Canberra
Cronulla
Perth
Adelaide
Newcastle2

See even 2 comps? 20 teams?
Whats everyone gotta problem with? Perfect if you ask me, maybe should have done this 25 years ago, maybe this would been a really super comp of rugby league in and around Australia, better than all the rest! Better than anyone ive ever met!
hehehehe

Last edited:

Latest posts