What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Points of Trial vs Knights

BLM01

First Grade
For me I watched on replay. It is a trial and for those worried about the bigger name players it is also about blowing out cobwebs and not getting injuries. Thats why the fringies stand out.
But Yes...Hunt's attempt on Fitzgibbon in their 1st try didnt look good and all teams will target that combo of Hunt / Aitken if not changed.

be55

Juniors
I don't want to start jumping to conclusions off the back of one trial,our first trial,especially when players are only receiving limited minutes so i am not going to go on about things like the sides structure our lack thereof,this has been plain for all to see in recent years and probably wont change any time soon.
What i do want to talk about is REECE ROBSON.
Before people say ''don't get too excited because of how he played in one trial'' i have seen enough of this kid over the past couple of seasons to be confident in saying that he is without doubt a
STAR OF THE GAME IN THE MAKING.
Every time i see him play he seems to get better.His pass selection,ball distribution and decision making out of dummy half is outstanding for someone his age.It was no surprise to me he won ISP player of the year for us last year.
THE KID IS STILL ONLY 20 YEARS OF AGE FOR GODS SAKE.
Cameron Smith has many great qualities but if you watch him closely his passing off the ground at dummy half is outstanding.He brings people on to the ball with his accuracy putting out in front of the player every time.I don't want to sound silly and compare Robson and Smith at this stage but i have a feeling that looking back in 10 years time this kid could be talked about in those terms such is his potential.Just watch how accurate his passing off the ground is,its outstanding,throw in his ability see when to run from dummy half and you have the making off a future star.
I just can't express how far i think this kid is destined to go in the game.
My greatest fear as a Dragons fan is I will be watching him achieve all this at another club.He is off contract at the end of this year and i have no doubt he will be inundated with offers from other clubs.He is originally from Murwillumbah which is about 1 hour from the Gold Coast. If i was the head of player recruitment at the Titans i would be throwing everything at him to get him up there,but i think most clubs will have a shot at him.
I want to say that i am a fan of Cameron Mcinnes he works hard in defence and in my opinion is one of the better hookers in the comp but the potential of Robson well as they say ''the sky is the limit''.I just think that keeping Mcinnes at the expense of Robson would be a huge mistake but seen Mcinnes is contracted till the end of 2021 i think the club has already shown its hand.
I have this feeling that we are destined to lose this kid to another club and we as fans of the dragons are going to spend the next decade looking back thinking what might have been.My advice to the club is move heaven and earth to keep him. HE IS DESTINED FOR GREATNESS

giboz71

First Grade
Didn’t see the game but seems there are plenty of wraps on young Robson.

Slickness and smarts from dummy half is so important, why do you think the Storm have dominated all these years. They have Cameron Smith pulling the strings.

The times our attack has looked clunky, I feel we’ve been untidy at dummy half. McInnes is no Rein, but I fear we need better. The times even Hunt has slotted in at hooker, we looked sharper than normal.

Said it before, think we really need to see what this kid can do and if he really is the real deal, we need to make a tough call on Cam as losing this kid could be disastrous.

rasaint

Juniors
Remember Reece played in the reserve grade second half and looked good. Cam played 1st half and also looked good. Maybe the plan is for Cam to go to lock if Jack DB is removed from the game. ( It seems that having a long standing policy on how matters will be dealt with doesn’t matter if enough jornalists and rival clubs clamber for a change and make it retrospective).

I have previously noted that despite obvious courage Blake Lawrie doesn’t look that flash to me. Yesterday, no exception from last year. Big Kerr and young Timms looked so much stronger. Kerr actually looks very quick for a very big guy. In fairness they played against lesser opposition than the 1st half for Blake.

I think we must have Lomax in the centres only. Simply lacks genuine speed. It’s an Achilles heel in my opinion for him and it can not be coached.

Finally, Dufty must be at the back.

Old Timer

Coach
Remember Reece played in the reserve grade second half and looked good. Cam played 1st half and also looked good. Maybe the plan is for Cam to go to lock if Jack DB is removed from the game. ( It seems that having a long standing policy on how matters will be dealt with doesn’t matter if enough jornalists and rival clubs clamber for a change and make it retrospective).

I have previously noted that despite obvious courage Blake Lawrie doesn’t look that flash to me. Yesterday, no exception from last year. Big Kerr and young Timms looked so much stronger. Kerr actually looks very quick for a very big guy. In fairness they played against lesser opposition than the 1st half for Blake.

I think we must have Lomax in the centres only. Simply lacks genuine speed. It’s an Achilles heel in my opinion for him and it can not be coached.

I thought Lawrie was very willing and keen to take it up but may take a while longer as he isn't a big body as such. He needs to watch some footage of Albert when he first came into the top grade.
Kerr is quick and has great play the ball speed as does Host.
Timms looks a hard nut and the potential to be a cracker.
Can see James Graham struggling to make the side if we are fair dinkum about selection policy.

possm

Coach
For me I watched on replay. It is a trial and for those worried about the bigger name players it is also about blowing out cobwebs and not getting injuries. Thats why the fringies stand out.
But Yes...Hunt's attempt on Fitzgibbon in their 1st try didnt look good and all teams will target that combo of Hunt / Aitken if not changed.
I have a feeling that there needs to be some structural changes to take into consideration the defence weakness on the right edge. It seems we have the same problem we have had for the past few years with change in personnel to the halfback and wing positions making little difference.

The coaching staff should take a long hard look at what is going on here because I believe our right edge attack and defensive combinations need a complete revamp. So I would like to see the following changes to be made:

1. Once the ball is passed to the right of the ruck the right edge backrower and the halfback move to close down the opposing five-eighth together - Hunt to go low and K Sims to go chest high
  2. Our lock moves to cover the right edge with the right centre who does not run up and in but instead works with is lock to close down any space created
  3. Our fullback moves to the right to plug gaps that may occur
  4. Our left winger moves towards the centre at the back to take care of any penetration of the defence that breaks through and any centre kicks
  5. Our right winger remains out wide marking the opposition winger
  6. Also, Aitken be replaced by Lomax in the right centre position
  7. If De Belin is stood down, I suggest Frizell to lock and K Sims to right edge
I am confident that with plenty of practice, the above changes will solve the defensive problems of our right edge. In attack it would be good to see the halfback pass to right centre with early ball more often.

j0nesy

Bench
Robson, Timms, Kerr, Ravalava(sp), Field and Nicholl - played better than I expected .

Tariq, Korbin and Vaughan ripped in as expected. Leilua was good as was Dufty.

The rest were pretty solid except Widdop, Hunt, Norman. They looked rusty and didn’t click today. Just a trial but I’ve not been comfortable with playing Widdop at fullback and Norman at 5/8th since the idea was floated.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I don't want to start jumping to conclusions off the back of one trial,our first trial,especially when players are only receiving limited minutes so i am not going to go on about things like the sides structure our lack thereof,this has been plain for all to see in recent years and probably wont change any time soon.
Before people say ''don't get too excited because of how he played in one trial'' i have seen enough of this kid over the past couple of seasons to be confident in saying that he is without doubt a
Every time i see him play he seems to get better.His pass selection,ball distribution and decision making out of dummy half is outstanding for someone his age.It was no surprise to me he won ISP player of the year for us last year.
Cameron Smith has many great qualities but if you watch him closely his passing off the ground at dummy half is outstanding.He brings people on to the ball with his accuracy putting out in front of the player every time.I don't want to sound silly and compare Robson and Smith at this stage but i have a feeling that looking back in 10 years time this kid could be talked about in those terms such is his potential.Just watch how accurate his passing off the ground is,its outstanding,throw in his ability see when to run from dummy half and you have the making off a future star.
My greatest fear as a Dragons fan is I will be watching him achieve all this at another club.He is off contract at the end of this year and i have no doubt he will be inundated with offers from other clubs.He is originally from Murwillumbah which is about 1 hour from the Gold Coast. If i was the head of player recruitment at the Titans i would be throwing everything at him to get him up there,but i think most clubs will have a shot at him.
I want to say that i am a fan of Cameron Mcinnes he works hard in defence and in my opinion is one of the better hookers in the comp but the potential of Robson well as they say ''the sky is the limit''.I just think that keeping Mcinnes at the expense of Robson would be a huge mistake but seen Mcinnes is contracted till the end of 2021 i think the club has already shown its hand.
I have this feeling that we are destined to lose this kid to another club and we as fans of the dragons are going to spend the next decade looking back thinking what might have been.My advice to the club is move heaven and earth to keep him. HE IS DESTINED FOR GREATNESS
Like what happened with Steve Rodgers all those years ago. We'll see if they've learnt anything

Great post but the kid will go the way of Jack Bird.

That's the Dragons way.

Straight Shooter

possm

Coach
Great post but the kid will go the way of Jack Bird.

That's the Dragons way.

Straight Shooter
It is clear to me that Robson will be a top line hooker in the near future. I'm sure the Club is aware of this and so is eager to lock him up long term even if it meant losing McInnes prior to the end of his contract. I was very disappointed to see McInnes still delivering forward and slow passes from dummy half. He still has it in is game to give away too many avoidable penalties at critical times during a game.

possm

Coach
the thing about Robson and it doesnt matter who he was playing against .. his pass speed is the fastest i have seen from a dragons hooker in a long long time.

Spot on, and he is quick to identify markers who are out of position. He has the speed to make them pay.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am starting to think you may be right.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Sides did exactly that last year and Nightingale was blamed for the entire right side.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Worryingly the side’s attack looked far superior when the reserve grade standard players were introduced. At the heart of this improvement was Robson.

He is a million miles ahead of McInnes, and you’re right to say that the club needs to prioritise him over what Saints currently have right now.

I mentioned Lomax’s lack of genuine speed last year

Latest posts