What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a Roster, Great Position to be in .

Frank Facer

First Grade
You would think so, but remember who’s the coach. Norman definitely isn’t a halfback anyway.
Norman's best position is halfback. He will be playing halfback for us this year, but wearing the number 6 jersey. In 2016 when Norman was playing halfback, he was being spoken of as Qld's next halfback. He was playing halfback when he got his 900K a season contract. We were also in the market for him when he signed his 900K a year contract and that would have been to play him halfback with Widdop 5/8.

Splinters

Juniors
A wait and see approach is needed here. I can't say the same about my day at work though. It started off fine and then a one year old child was brought in unconscious. Anti-Vaxx loser parents. I'm imbibing some wine. I may crack another bottle. Footy seems irrelevant to me right now.

It is absolutely beyond me why people insist on bringing controversial issues to a website like this, where people are just trying to relax with the footie.

Like mentioning Trump or anything else where people might get heated, it is just plain rude and disruptive.

However, once someone does it, it really isn't possible to just let the matter go as that is the way that doubtful, contested or just plain wrong ideas enter into the mainstream.

So, for general information (I did not raise the issue and it should not have been raised in this forum), the issue of vaccines and their impact on infant and adult health is not remotely settled and it is in fact a sign of a healthy mindset in our communities that people are willing to raise questions on important issues like the health of our children and NOT leave such decisions entirely in the hands of large multinational corporations.

You may remember that we were all told once upon a time that asbestos was no problem. My own mother was prescribed Thalidomide for morning sickness when she was pregnant with me. She declined that advice or I might be typing this now with flippers.

The number of vaccines that children are given - often in one large dose - has increased massively over the years and there has been no trustworthy (non-industry-funded) research on the matter.

Of course everyone nowadays knows that the standard answer to doubts on any question where big money is at stake (like Big Pharma and vaccinations) is to declare that "Science says..." and "The science is settled..." but how many times do we have to be steamrolled by that kind of attack before we start to see it for the bullying that it is?

For years, and still today, we have been told that the Food Pyramid is the best way to eat, but now we know that a long-term high-carb, low-fat diet is a virtual guarantee of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. But we still get all of the experts (Big Food, including dietitians for heaven's sake) pushing this unhealthy diet at us.

Because remember, big money could not care less about you or your family. Not a fig, when money is at stake.

Yet with all of this, the facts remain, infants and young children have fragile, undeveloped immune systems, but we are pumping them up with complex cocktails of vaccines. Why? Why not just administer single vaccines, one at a time, as was done in my own youth? Is this such a terrible thing to ask?

So I don't know. I will admit that. But I certainly do look at the current extent of vaccination and the doubtful products (like mercury) that are used in their manufacture, and I think that it is entirely legitimate to be concerned about such a quantity of immune-system-compromising drugs being administered to very, very young children so often in their formative years.

That said, can we all please keep the footie forum just to the topic of footie?

slippery5

Juniors
What a load of twaddle re Lomax not delivering yesterday.
He made a couple of errors as did almost everyone but he also did some little things very nicely as well and his defence is 1st class and streets ahead of another centre on display from our side.
The game never really cracked open in the 1st half because our halves were woeful, yes that is the correct word woeful, so anyone in the outside backs had limited chances especially Lomax outside the "cold spoon" (thank you to the poster who coined that).
What did everyone expect from him a game breaking / winning semi final performance FMD wake up and give him a chance?
Hunt and Norman were far more of a worry yesterday considering all the hype surrounding there respective signings.
Norman catch and pass on sweep plays and that was about it and Hunt failing to take on the line and abysmal in defence.
All the hype around other 2nd half performances need to be balanced on the basis of what the strength of the opposite side was and TBH it wasn't very good.
IMO our roster has some holes in it and that is because our beloved 2019 coach will go conservative in the event of injuries and the likes of Field, Kerr, Timms, Masters will rot in ISP whilst Allgood, Nicholls
etc will be elevated and if you don't believe that have a look at who was the 1st interchange player yesterday, yep good old Jeremy Latimore how f**king imaginative of us to come up with that.
Maranta will see 1st grade before the young players who at least have speed and imagination.
So well may you say our roster has depth (not in the centres that's for sure) it will be amazing to what depths Mc Fookknuckle will go to have his older statesmen make the team.
OT & others, settle down & be patient re Norman, everyone was questioning Hunts involvement last year after his first trial also, the last thing a player wants to do is upset the apples in his first game, he wants to gain the respect & ease his way in before taking control by R1

Drag Queen

Bench
As I imagine it would.

Parents weren’t advocates of vaccines, huh?
So sorry for venting on your post Jimmy. Not only are these parents dickheads, but they left it so long to get medical advice. Baby is in an induced coma. Brain damage is inevitable should she survive. Measles. Go f**king figure.

Drag Queen

Bench
It is absolutely beyond me why people insist on bringing controversial issues to a website like this, where people are just trying to relax with the footie.

Like mentioning Trump or anything else where people might get heated, it is just plain rude and disruptive.

However, once someone does it, it really isn't possible to just let the matter go as that is the way that doubtful, contested or just plain wrong ideas enter into the mainstream.

So, for general information (I did not raise the issue and it should not have been raised in this forum), the issue of vaccines and their impact on infant and adult health is not remotely settled and it is in fact a sign of a healthy mindset in our communities that people are willing to raise questions on important issues like the health of our children and NOT leave such decisions entirely in the hands of large multinational corporations.

You may remember that we were all told once upon a time that asbestos was no problem. My own mother was prescribed Thalidomide for morning sickness when she was pregnant with me. She declined that advice or I might be typing this now with flippers.

The number of vaccines that children are given - often in one large dose - has increased massively over the years and there has been no trustworthy (non-industry-funded) research on the matter.

Of course everyone nowadays knows that the standard answer to doubts on any question where big money is at stake (like Big Pharma and vaccinations) is to declare that "Science says..." and "The science is settled..." but how many times do we have to be steamrolled by that kind of attack before we start to see it for the bullying that it is?

For years, and still today, we have been told that the Food Pyramid is the best way to eat, but now we know that a long-term high-carb, low-fat diet is a virtual guarantee of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. But we still get all of the experts (Big Food, including dietitians for heaven's sake) pushing this unhealthy diet at us.

Because remember, big money could not care less about you or your family. Not a fig, when money is at stake.

Yet with all of this, the facts remain, infants and young children have fragile, undeveloped immune systems, but we are pumping them up with complex cocktails of vaccines. Why? Why not just administer single vaccines, one at a time, as was done in my own youth? Is this such a terrible thing to ask?

So I don't know. I will admit that. But I certainly do look at the current extent of vaccination and the doubtful products (like mercury) that are used in their manufacture, and I think that it is entirely legitimate to be concerned about such a quantity of immune-system-compromising drugs being administered to very, very young children so often in their formative years.

Get f**ked idiot.

possm

Coach
If Widdop is not fully fit and still has problems with his shoulder, then it won't matter where you play him; he will be better off the field getting well.

41yearsaint

Juniors

Wow

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

I’d advise you to put your aluminium foil hat back on, but I’ve heard that aluminium foil is rumoured to cause anal warts.

Old Timer

Coach
OT & others, settle down & be patient re Norman, everyone was questioning Hunts involvement last year after his first trial also, the last thing a player wants to do is upset the apples in his first game, he wants to gain the respect & ease his way in before taking control by R1
The issue is, unlike others I have never rated him as a first class performer on a constant basis so my position is already well formed and I have no high expectation.
Also with Hunt whilst an upgrade on all recent halves I am still yet to be convinced he can turn in good performances week in week out.
No doubt at their best they can play but their best is too infrequent IMO.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors

Good idea. Let's just talk about the footy...

Mark D

Juniors
Just said to a mate of mine the depth this year is the difference between making the 8 and making top 4! Was very impressed with some of our younger brigade this weekend....Kerr Duff Field Timm Ravalawa Robson... terrific

possm

Coach
Just said to a mate of mine the depth this year is the difference between making the 8 and making top 4! Was very impressed with some of our younger brigade this weekend....Kerr Duff Field Timm Ravalawa Robson... terrific

Yes and so now it is a matter of honest selections and good bench management. Use them or lose them, I say.

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop would be a way better centre than Norman.

Respectfully disagree...Norman If my memory serves me correctly has played some centre...why would you move our strongest player ( Widdop ) out of a position he has been playing for the last number of years...not worth the risk.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Millward has been given the job of pathways, recruitment and retention matters. He will have the final say but may or may not listen to Mary. I'd say that the contract extension of Robson and Lomax should be our first priority at this stage.

Fullback
I was pleased with the way Dufty played yesterday, it appears Dufty has done some work to improve his defence of the off-season. I was not happy with the way Widdop played however, it may be that his shoulder is not quite right as yet. At the moment I think thsed two players are the only ones under consideration for fullback. I hold the view that if Widdop is not fit enough to play fullback, he won't be fit enough to play five-eighth.

Wingers
Pereira put is best foot forward and Ravalawa did a great job in his first hit out in first grade for the Club. Hopefully, we will see Pearson in action in the Charity Shield Game. So it is still too early to tell however, I believe with another good hit out in the Charity Shield Game, Ravalawa would be the front runner for the right wing left vacant by Nightingale and McDonald. At this stage Pearson would have to do something really special to win the left wing spot.

Centres
Neither Aitken, Lafai or Lomax performed well during the game against Newcastle. Aitken was absolutely awful while Lafai seemed disinterested to me. It was not Lomax's best performance however, I seen enough to confirm my preference of Lomax over Aitken. It would not surprise me at all to see a Lomax / Masters or a Lomax / Pearson centre combination by mid season.

Halves
The Hunt / Norman combination did not click during the game against Newcastle. Hunt seemed to have the majority control of play while Norman was content to just go through the process. I sincerely hope that this combination shows more in the up-coming Charity Shield Game. On the other hand Field showed the benefit of work put in during the off-season with body shaping and confidence in defence.
Lafai looked disinterested and Lomax looked unhappy

slippery5

Juniors
The issue is, unlike others I have never rated him as a first class performer on a constant basis so my position is already well formed and I have no high expectation.
Also with Hunt whilst an upgrade on all recent halves I am still yet to be convinced he can turn in good performances week in week out.
No doubt at their best they can play but their best is too infrequent IMO.
Maybe, but other than Cronk I don't think their is too many top halves that perform week in week out, Reynolds, DCE, even Cleary all have had quiet patches to name a few, because I can't think of any others I rate.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Lafai looked disinterested and Lomax looked unhappy
Lafai has looked disinterested for ages in my opinion. Every now and then he pulls out a great game but geez they are few and far in between. I was at the game on the weekend and was close to the action. Lafai got the ball with a bit of space but just took the tackle, no pace, no step, no fend, he just took the tackle.
Guy behind me said "Lafai has lost his spark and opposition players know that they have him covered"
So true. No explosive power, speed or danger. He has a bit of footwork but thats it.
WE CAN DO BETTER

LINESPEED

Juniors
Lafai has looked disinterested for ages in my opinion. Every now and then he pulls out a great game but geez they are few and far in between. I was at the game on the weekend and was close to the action. Lafai got the ball with a bit of space but just took the tackle, no pace, no step, no fend, he just took the tackle.
Guy behind me said "Lafai has lost his spark and opposition players know that they have him covered"
So true. No explosive power, speed or danger. He has a bit of footwork but thats it.
WE CAN DO BETTER

Yet 95% of posters on here keep Lafai in their team FFS??