What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Socks up or down?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I suppose it all depends on your personal preference and the policy at Club level. We were always told to 'pull your socks up' and it became a habit of mine to ensure they stayed up by placing an elastic and folding over it at the top of the sock; as instructed by the coach.
I used to use electrical tape to keep my socks up when I played.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I used to use electrical tape to keep my socks up when I played.
And to keep our boot laces from coming undone.....ahh the good old days!

To the OP's question, leave it to the individual to decide what feels right for them. The kids of today (players of tomorrow) don't want to be told they have to wear socks pulled up to their knees, they are playing footy, not golf.

Gareth67

First Grade
Why in my day we were bluudy lucky to have shorts let alone proper footy socks ( only the coaches son wore them - little crawler ) . But to the point , if you have them on then pull them up and wear them with pride . :innocent:

Frank Facer

First Grade
And to keep our boot laces from coming undone.....ahh the good old days!

To the OP's question, leave it to the individual to decide what feels right for them. The kids of today (players of tomorrow) don't want to be told they have to wear socks pulled up to their knees, they are playing footy, not golf.
Yeah, I used to tape around my boot laces too. I sometimes even used to put the electrical tape around my head too.

slippery5

Juniors
We were watching my mates son play for the sunshine Coast Falcons before the Titans Cowboys trial yesterday when the Dad got a text from the Storm ( who he is contracted to) they were watching live stream & told him to pull his socks up. !!!!!!
Made me think I can't picture any storm player who wears their socks down. possibly due to sponsorship on them.

silverex

Bench
Is it just me or does it get on your nerves that so many players wear their socks down in our side? To me It's like thier not proud to wear our colours... Thoughts?

This has been a bug bear of mine for years! Matty Cooper was the worst and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Pull them up and keep them up and look like the proud team that we should be!

Thanks to Willow for the excerpt from the book.

grouch

First Grade
Yes, it looked deadset awful. Thankfully, those socks weren’t on display yesterday.
Yes they were! All the new players wore the shitty half socks. Existing players wore last year's socks. credit to Saint Doc for spotting this

6ED46DC1-13B5-4472-8DA8-D61BEAC24E46.jpg

d9956933-2deb-4016-912e-0e15a69e4778-jpeg.27423

kit66

Bench
Is it just me or does it get on your nerves that so many players wear their socks down in our side? To me It's like thier not proud to wear our colours... Thoughts?

I don't usually notice the socks but when the boys ran out in the second half against Newcastle nearly our entire team had their socks down, looked a bit unusual. Not that I care either way really but I guess the current fashion is socks down and the brightest colour boots you can find.

Edit : Just read a few more posts - Half Socks WTF ! That will take some getting used to.

st penguin

Juniors
I don't usually notice the socks but when the boys ran out in the second half against Newcastle nearly our entire team had their socks down, looked a bit unusual. Not that I care either way really but I guess the current fashion is socks down and the brightest colour boots you can find.

Edit : Just read a few more posts - Half Socks WTF ! That will take some getting used to.
Well here’s the weird thing, we had half socks last year as well! How did i not notice this? I’m usually a stickler for small uniform changes but this passed me by.

I think it really stood out in that trial game because of the bright boot colours.

Check out footage from last year, half the team were wearing these socks

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/09/match-highlights-broncos-v-dragons---week-1-finals-2018/

And for anyone who doesn’t care about sock sizes, it’s highlights of the broncos game so you can enjoy it anyway!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the socks down trend has something to do with how much bigger calf muscles are thesedays and some of these islander boys have calfs like tree trunks. They may find it too restrictive to wear them up.
The All Blacks seem to wear them down if i remember norhing shabby about that team.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well here’s the weird thing, we had half socks last year as well! How did i not notice this? I’m usually a stickler for small uniform changes but this passed me by.

I think it really stood out in that trial game because of the bright boot colours.

Check out footage from last year, half the team were wearing these socks

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/09/match-highlights-broncos-v-dragons---week-1-finals-2018/

And for anyone who doesn’t care about sock sizes, it’s highlights of the broncos game so you can enjoy it anyway!

After reviewing the footage, I think you’ll find the side was actually wearing the hooped blood and bandages variety but some players (particularly McInnes) had their socks rolled down so far giving a false impression. Remember, that version didn’t feature the hoops at the top of the design, unlike many previous years.

st penguin

Juniors
A79A5328-DF35-402E-8C78-CF499C950C10.jpeg
After reviewing the footage, I think you’ll find the side was actually wearing the hooped blood and bandages variety but some players (particularly McInnes) had their socks rolled down so far giving a false impression. Remember, that version didn’t feature the hoops at the top of the design, unlike many previous years.

Well I might be wrong - but these don’t look like rolled down socks to me.

A79A5328-DF35-402E-8C78-CF499C950C10.jpeg

Latest posts