What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

azza29

Juniors
For future WC bidding (Soccer a bit pie in the sky, Union far less so) more than 1 high capacity stadium in Sydney is a big advantage.
Australia hosting the WC is the fanciful dream of a few soccer tragics, will never ever ever happen and therefore should not be part of any stadium strategy. Frankly we have a better shot at hosting the Superbowl.

If we get another Union WC then 30-40k stadiums will be fine for most group matches. They will schedule the Australia, NZ and finals matches at ANZ and Suncorp (and possibly Optus and the MCG). Again this is a handful of games maybe every two decades so hardly worth building extra oversized stadia that will host crowds of 15k the rest of the time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Is Moore Park considered CBD?
I think they should put new seats in Allianze and leave it at that. If the bathrooms and an exit needs to be done fine. $50mill tops.
Put all the money into ANZ.

I class it as CBD. I don't class the Harbour and all those sort of places as CBD. From Kungal's reply I guess he thinks it all is CBD.

The point for me is. You can't just drive to say the Aquarium and then walk over and check out the footy. So while lots of people are in the city. Not many would go to that part unless it is for a reason.

Same applies for Homebush but the quicker travel time makes later games more likely to be attended

T-Boon

Coach
Australia hosting the WC is the fanciful dream of a few soccer tragics, will never ever ever happen and therefore should not be part of any stadium strategy. Frankly we have a better shot at hosting the Superbowl.

Presently we are the clear favourites for the womens world cup in 2023.
There will be at least 5 or 6 50k plus crowds for that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I actually have a genuine question for you, can you list the 30 year plus stadiums we have in the country that are still being used for top level sport?
MCG... nope. The Olympic, Ponsford and Members stands were rebuilt about 15 years ago, Great Southern Stand built in 1992 is already in major need of an upgrade which I believe the (Labor) government here have committed to.

Suncorp... nope, completely rebuilt in 2003.

SCG? Nope, Trumper, Bradman/Noble all new in the last ten years, and there's already discussions on how to replace the ageing Churchill-Brewongle stands which are more than 30 years old.

Gabba? Adelaide Oval? Both redeveloped in the last 10-15 years.

WACA, Subiaco? Effectively replaced by Optus Stadium.

Every major old stadium has either undergone major renovation, or complete replacement, either onsite or elsewhere in the same city.

Even Melbourne's Docklands Stadium - opened in 2000 - is ageing rapidly and now the AFL owns it, they want to update it as well.

unforgiven

Bench
MCG... nope. The Olympic, Ponsford and Members stands were rebuilt about 15 years ago, Great Southern Stand built in 1992 is already in major need of an upgrade which I believe the (Labor) government here have committed to.

SCG? Nope, Trumper, Bradman/Noble all new in the last ten years, and there's already discussions on how to replace the ageing Churchill-Brewongle stands which are more than 30 years old.

Every major old stadium has either undergone major renovation, or complete replacement, either onsite or elsewhere in the same city.

Even Melbourne's Docklands Stadium - opened in 2000 - is ageing rapidly and now the AFL owns it, they want to update it as well.
Which is why I asked, I don't understand why Frog keeps saying the stadiums are only half way through their life. There are 0 major stadiums that haven't undergone major renovation that are more than 30 years old.

Canard

Immortal

Docklands(and surrounding precinct) is getting a $225M upgrade:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...h-cash-on-footy-stadiums-20180412-p4z9bg.html

azza29

Juniors
Presently we are the clear favourites for the womens world cup in 2023.
There will be at least 5 or 6 50k plus crowds for that.
Of the nine venues France is using this year only one holds more than 50k, and five are sub-30k. So even with the current crop of stadiums Australia has to offer we have a fairly similar mix.

jargan83

Coach
WACA, Subiaco? Effectively replaced by Optus Stadium

Christina Matthews is the WACA CEO isAnd apparently the WACA is currently working on a proposal to renovate the WACA into a smaller boutique ground for state Cricket including a community gym and other facilities. Apparently the proposal will be put before both State and Federal Government as well as Cricket Australia.

I had a look for the article but I’m pretty sure it was sent out as an email to WACA members. I’ll see if I can find it later and post screen grabs.

Edit: Looks like I’ve deleted the email in question, it was sent around the Perth Test though. Probably hear more about it when the proposal is finished.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
the stadiums in Sydney are owned by the NSW Government as opposed to Marvel stadium which is owned by the AFL

big difference
So Marvel should never be upgraded unless it's private investment? That seems ludicrous.

franklin2323

Immortal
Of the nine venues France is using this year only one holds more than 50k, and five are sub-30k. So even with the current crop of stadiums Australia has to offer we have a fairly similar mix.

ANZ, Suncorp, WSS, AAMI, Newcastle, New Townsville, GC,

Already cover what they are using there. Throw in the MCG, Optus Stadium etc. Of course Allianz regardless of the size.

We match what is needed for both RU and Women's soccer world cup

azza29

Juniors
the stadiums in Sydney are owned by the NSW Government as opposed to Marvel stadium which is owned by the AFL

big difference
From what I understand much of the government spend is going into infrastructure around the stadium precinct as opposed to the stadium itself - new pedestrian bridge, redevelopment of concourse areas etc. $225m is still a fair chunk of change, plus the other $300m-odd they've announced for the MCG and other venues. Vic Labor definitely keen to see off challengers from other states for our big events!

El Diablo

Post Whore
From what I understand much of the government spend is going into infrastructure around the stadium precinct as opposed to the stadium itself - new pedestrian bridge, redevelopment of concourse areas etc. $225m is still a fair chunk of change, plus the other $300m-odd they've announced for the MCG and other venues. Vic Labor definitely keen to see off challengers from other states for our big events!
any upgrade to the stadium should be paid for by the AFL. they own it

T-Boon

Coach
ANZ, Suncorp, WSS, AAMI, Newcastle, New Townsville, GC,

Already cover what they are using there. Throw in the MCG, Optus Stadium etc. Of course Allianz regardless of the size.

We match what is needed for both RU and Women's soccer world cup

That sounds about right if we are just happy to match France.
It looks like Canada 2015 had 3x50k plus stadiums.
I think the final in Australia could get 80k plus so they will probably opt for MCG rather than ANZ if they are going to go with an old multi purpose stadium.

franklin2323

Immortal
That sounds about right if we are just happy to match France.
It looks like Canada 2015 had 3x50k plus stadiums.
I think the final in Australia could get 80k plus so they will probably opt for MCG rather than ANZ if they are going to go with an old multi purpose stadium.

Given our population and most states play AFL so have Oval grounds probably all we can realistically hope for.

unforgiven

Bench
are you some AFL sycophant or just taking the piss :rolleyes:

if the AFL want their stadium upgraded then they should pay for it
Wasn't the stadium upgrade part of the deal for 40 years of Grand Finals, in effect they paid for it through the sale of the Grand Final.