What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Chimp

Juniors
He may well have - but none of us have proof to that effect and it's never been tried in any meaningful manner (and almost certainly never will be)
And where is the proof the Sharks players took peptides? NO POSITIVE TESTS....
You can call the plea deal an admission, but anyone being fair dinkum can see why they would have accepted the 'unknowingly and unwittingly' plea, with a backdated ban that effectively ended a shite season 4 weeks early, but got rid of all the suspense and uncertainty linked with the whole bullshit scenario.

And if you're going to use the argument that players need to know what they're taking, then the same rules should apply to players having 2 contracts, illegal 3rd party deals, particularly in cases like Smiths where he was his own manager at that point.

SBD82

Coach
And if you're going to use the argument that players need to know what they're taking, then the same rules should apply to players having 2 contracts, illegal 3rd party deals, particularly in cases like Smiths where he was his own manager at that point.
Agreed. Both should be liable.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Do “you” think he knew was the question.
Fair dinkum realistically.

Yes or no?
I answered in my previous post:
He may well have
Your interest in pursuing this straw man argument is interesting though, you think he deserves/ed punishment for something he was never even investigated for, but you don't think it's worth noting John Morris was one of the players who had a WADA ban?

Timmah

Staff member
And where is the proof the Sharks players took peptides? NO POSITIVE TESTS....
You can call the plea deal an admission, but anyone being fair dinkum can see why they would have accepted the 'unknowingly and unwittingly' plea, with a backdated ban that effectively ended a shite season 4 weeks early, but got rid of all the suspense and uncertainty linked with the whole bullshit scenario.

The peptides proof argument is moot. They took the plea deal. That history can't be changed.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you the players were complicit either because I don't necessarily believe it (not do I or anyone else have evidence to back such a position).

The 'whataboutism' with the Storm cap stuff is just a little bit sad though. The only reason the peptides stuff has come up is simply to illustrate the point that a player who was involved (directly or indirectly) has just been named head coach and the link could easily be made that they Sharks aren't trying hard enough to put that era behind them.

I'm not even saying I personally have a problem with Morris - he's been coaching with Cronulla since he retired, and it's not been an issue. But I can see why some might think it is. That's all.

unforgiven

Bench
The peptides proof argument is moot. They took the plea deal. That history can't be changed.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you the players were complicit either because I don't necessarily believe it (not do I or anyone else have evidence to back such a position).

The 'whataboutism' with the Storm cap stuff is just a little bit sad though. The only reason the peptides stuff has come up is simply to illustrate the point that a player who was involved (directly or indirectly) has just been named head coach and the link could easily be made that they Sharks aren't trying hard enough to put that era behind them.

I'm not even saying I personally have a problem with Morris - he's been coaching with Cronulla since he retired, and it's not been an issue. But I can see why some might think it is. That's all.
Exactly, it doesn't matter if the players knew what they were taking or not, the fact is John Morris has a drug suspension. The Sharks get involved in another scandal and lose their coach over it, so what do they do? They employ a coach who was involved in a previous scandal, that is just not a good look and appears as if they are treating the NRL as a joke.

Exactly, it doesn't matter if the players knew what they were taking or not, the fact is John Morris has a drug suspension. The Sharks get involved in another scandal and lose their coach over it, so what do they do? They employ a coach who was involved in a previous scandal, that is just not a good look and appears as if they are treating the NRL as a joke.
Meh, unforgiven hates us and we don’t care!

(Thumbing nose)

Anyone who isn’t a sharks fan that spends more than 5 mins going on about this needs to get over it. The outrage in rugby league is pathetic. Let’s just play the game it’s the only thing it has going for it.

carcharias

Immortal
I answered in my previous post:

Your interest in pursuing this straw man argument is interesting though, you think he deserves/ed punishment for something he was never even investigated for, but you don't think it's worth noting John Morris was one of the players whban?

Yes or no
In your opinion did Bellamy know?
Just yes of no

Quicksilver

Bench
Anyone who isn’t a sharks fan that spends more than 5 mins going on about this needs to get over it. The outrage in rugby league is pathetic. Let’s just play the game it’s the only thing it has going for it.

Crazy, isn’t it?

I give other clubs about 2 minutes of thought. If something controversial happens I might chuck a little hissy fit but a day later I’m over it. Particularly when it’s a club that is as weak as Cronulla were in 2011. We would have had about 4 players that would make any other NRL team.

We don’t even have a single coach or administrator left from that period, but somehow it’s still an issue.

Rugby League supporter culture stinks.

Quicksilver

Bench

Of course it matters. That’s why mens rea is a crucial element of criminal law.

If he’s told that it’s something else, how is he to know? He’s not a chemist, he can’t test it.

unforgiven

Bench
Of course it matters. That’s why mens rea is a crucial element of criminal law.

If he’s told that it’s something else, how is he to know? He’s not a chemist, he can’t test it.
I'm not actually speaking of his guilt here, that doesn't matter in the context of what we are speaking about. The Sharks manage to get themselves in yet another situation where they are cheating, their coach actually gets deregistered over it.So instead of distancing themselves from any scandal, they employ a coach who was heavily involved in a previous scandal. It makes it appear that the Sharks just do not care about their image or the rules of the game.

Timmah

Staff member
Here I was thinking this was the NRL section. If you want to only hear Sharks fans moaning about it, go to that board, plenty to feast on there.

I'm not actually speaking of his guilt here, that doesn't matter in the context of what we are speaking about. The Sharks manage to get themselves in yet another situation where they are cheating, their coach actually gets deregistered over it.So instead of distancing themselves from any scandal, they employ a coach who was heavily involved in a previous scandal. It makes it appear that the Sharks just do not care about their image or the rules of the game.
Incorrect, Fannagan has not been deregistered or what ever for any salary cap desceoancy (at this stage). Only for not following the terms of his original suspension in 2014

unforgiven

Bench
Incorrect, Fannagan has not been deregistered or what ever for any salary cap desceoancy (at this stage). Only for not following the terms of his original suspension in 2014
No I am correct, I didn't say he was deregistered for the Salary Cap breach, he was derigistered for contacting the club while suspended, which in itself is cheating.

Timmah

Staff member
He never said Flanagan was DR'd for the cap descrepancy. I imagine he's suggesting that because the suspension was related to the peptides saga that it's all connected to cheating.

EDIT: unforgiven has clarified that as above

Wow that bow gets stretched and stretched.

I have an idea, you stick to your outrage and enjoy this arvo’s fun and games and I will go have a cuppa and not really give a shit, because tfe Sharks will still be here and ready to rumble in round 1

unforgiven

Bench
Wow that bow gets stretched and stretched.

I have an idea, you stick to your outrage and enjoy this arvo’s fun and games and I will go have a cuppa and not really give a shit, because tfe Sharks will still be here and ready to rumble in round 1
How is it stretching a long bow? The club that had been banned from contacting someone for advice, then contacted that person seeking advice, that is blatant cheating.

Latest posts