What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Points of Trial vs Knights

Old Timer

Coach
Norman has played a bit of centre and I believe that's his best fit for the team this year. A lot of 5/8 can and have transitioned to the centres quite easily when required. He'll still get his hands on the ball out there and it's the least disruptive move for us until Widdop leaves - spine intact and a handy ball player, short kicker thrown into the mix out wide.
I'll need to watch Marsters a bit more closely if he plays CS, I haven't seen much of him so far.

I can hear our coaches minds ticking over and know they won't risk a completely changed backline 2 - 5 or even 1 -5, so they will play Aitken and Lafai who they know. They weren't even confident enough to run out different centres in the first half of a trial.
Masters actually has what we hoped for in Milne (football wise that is).
Very powerful, good step and footy smart and IMO he would not be lost in 1st grade and should be fast tracked ahead of Pereira.
Anyway I'll get back to you on that after he turns 24 or so.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Centres
Delete Sailor and Norman both are halves. Insert Masters he is my pick for left centre with Lomax as right centre. Aitken and Lafai to backup in ISP until they want to leave.
I would rather we start off with Lomax and Marsters, than Aitken and Lafai, but I would still have Widdop left centre instead of Marsters right now. Marsters would be first cab off the rank. I would have already shopped Lafai and Aitken around and hoped to offload both of them.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Norman has played a bit of centre and I believe that's his best fit for the team this year. A lot of 5/8 can and have transitioned to the centres quite easily when required. He'll still get his hands on the ball out there and it's the least disruptive move for us until Widdop leaves - spine intact and a handy ball player, short kicker thrown into the mix out wide.
I'll need to watch Marsters a bit more closely if he plays CS, I haven't seen much of him so far.

I can hear our coaches minds ticking over and know they won't risk a completely changed backline 2 - 5 or even 1 -5, so they will play Aitken and Lafai who they know. They weren't even confident enough to run out different centres in the first half of a trial.
Norman's greatest strength is being a playmaker. I don't think he has the running game for fullback or centre. Widdop has a much better running game than Norman, hence I would prefer him at centre than Norman, to fit both of them into our starting 13. I think Widdop would be a much better left centre than Lafai.

possm

Coach
I would rather we start off with Lomax and Marsters, than Aitken and Lafai, but I would still have Widdop left centre instead of Marsters right now. Marsters would be first cab off the rank. I would have already shopped Lafai and Aitken around and hoped to offload both of them.

No need to shop them around and then pay about 50% of the salary for the next season. Just select them in ISP and they will want a release.

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
Masters actually has what we hoped for in Milne (football wise that is).
Very powerful, good step and footy smart and IMO he would not be lost in 1st grade and should be fast tracked ahead of Pereira.
Anyway I'll get back to you on that after he turns 24 or so.

You’re so right.

24 was the age Waterboy got his first NRL gig - so with an IQ below 100, he’s hardwired to be unable to process experience beyond his own.
So junior talent under 24 just does not generally compute.

Frank Facer

First Grade
No need to shop them around and then pay about 50% of the salary for the next season. Just select them in ISP and they will wont a release.
If I was coach, I would have told Aitken and Lafai that they won't be playing first grade this year, unless we have numerous injuries. They would have been happy to look for new clubs.

SnowDragon

Juniors
SnowDragon
Joe has represented Fiji in the World Cup where they made the semifinals. He's come through the junior ranks and is able to play anywhere from 7 right through to Hooker which is his best position. But they are developing him into a utility role. Good kid and not a bad player still only young.

Thanks Dragonsamy,

Don’t know what it was but I liked what I saw in the cameo. We seem to have hooker tied up atm, and with Normon coming on, the #14 seems destined for lots of competition... maybe he is young e ought as you suggested to need more development and it’s 2020 and onwards?

SBD82

Coach
Finally got a chance to watch the trial.

IMO Anyone who thinks that Latimore won’t be on the bench this year is in for a rude shock. He does a lot of thankless work around the middle and coaches love that shit.

He’s not a world beater, but he definitely doesn’t deserve some of the vitriol that is directed his way in here. A straight up and down big bodied prop.

Old Timer

Coach
Finally got a chance to watch the trial.

IMO Anyone who thinks that Latimore won’t be on the bench this year is in for a rude shock. He does a lot of thankless work around the middle and coaches love that shit.

He’s not a world beater, but he definitely doesn’t deserve some of the vitriol that is directed his way in here. A straight up and down big bodied prop.
There are very few that don't think that he won't be on the bench and that is the problem for many of us.
If we don't have better options than Jeremy then we have developed no one, recruited poorly and will be struggling big time.
In fact I will go so far as to say if Graham is still a starting prop by midway through the season we will be travelling very poorly by seasons end.
IMO opinion Graham should not be starting and come on from the bench and have the half time break to freshen him up and then subbed out early 2nd half.
If Graham was to come on from the bench then there is absolutely no room for Jeremy.

SBD82

Coach
There are very few that don't think that he won't be on the bench
This bit seriously hurt my brain.

I think you’re being dramatic about latimore. I’d love to see someone displace him because of irresistible form, but until that happens, he is a first grade quality bench prop. Especially considering the style of the other players in our pack.

Old Timer

Coach
This bit seriously hurt my brain.

I think you’re being dramatic about latimore. I’d love to see someone displace him because of irresistible form, but until that happens, he is a first grade quality bench prop. Especially considering the style of the other players in our pack.
He wouldn't grace the bench of any serious top 8 side.
If we start another season yet again with him in the top grade there is no chance of anyone dislodging him regardless of form as the great Mc Fookknuckles brain just doesn't work that way.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
There are very few that don't think that he won't be on the bench and that is the problem for many of us.
If we don't have better options than Jeremy then we have developed no one, recruited poorly and will be struggling big time.
In fact I will go so far as to say if Graham is still a starting prop by midway through the season we will be travelling very poorly by seasons end.
IMO opinion Graham should not be starting and come on from the bench and have the half time break to freshen him up and then subbed out early 2nd half.
If Graham was to come on from the bench then there is absolutely no room for Jeremy.
big red needs to come off the bench it makes more sense to have him coming on with one of the young bucks so we have a old head out there and a young buck ........

possm

Coach

As a starting prop Graham can handle to rough stuff until he is fatigued. As a bench prop Graham would have to replace a fatigued player for an unspecified period of time; and stay on the field wheter he is fatigured or not.

BLM01

First Grade
As a starting prop Graham can handle to rough stuff until he is fatigued. As a bench prop Graham would have to replace a fatigued player for an unspecified period of time; and stay on the field wheter he is fatigured or not.
Not any more Possm..Graham might be able to handle the rough stuff cause he has been round the block a few times but he gets man handled too much these days and cant bust a line anymore.
He is better running at tired or 2nd tier forwards. 2 stints of 20-25 minutes is plenty for him, giving his 100% efforts on and off the ball is best value for us.

Drag Queen

Bench
Why would you have Widdop as centre? He's a 5/8th and potential FB. Makes no sense Frank.

possm

Coach
Not any more Possm..Graham might be able to handle the rough stuff cause he has been round the block a few times but he gets man handled too much these days and cant bust a line anymore.
He is better running at tired or 2nd tier forwards. 2 stints of 20-25 minutes is plenty for him, giving his 100% efforts on and off the ball is best value for us.
Ok, I see your point and agree with you.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Why would you have Widdop as centre? He's a 5/8th and potential FB. Makes no sense Frank.
I would move Widdop to centre, because I think Aitken and Lafai are 2 of our weakest links. Norman and Hunt must be our halves. I think Dufty provides more than Lafai or Aitken. Dufty was a match winner for us in numerous games last year. I am not even convinced that Widdop is a better fullback than Dufty, but I am convinced that Widdop would be a better left centre than Lafai.

When I asked this forum to state why they think Widdop would not be able to handle playing centre, no one provided any answers. Benny V asked me why I think he would make a good centre and I provided numerous answers. I do think Widdop is better suited to 5/8 and probably fullback, but I think he would fit into our best 13 at centre. I used to see most 5/8's as 5/8's who can play centre or 5/8's who can play halfback. I would have liked to see Widdop take on the halfback, dominate playmaker role when he first came to our club, but he looks to be more of a running, attacking 5/8 that would handle centre, more than a 5/8 who can play the halfback role. These days there is now a 3rd option, with a 5/8 who can play fullback. Brett Kenny is one of the best players I have ever seen play the game. He was a 5/8 who I rate better than Lewis, but on the 86 Kangaroo tour of England, Lewis was captain, but they had to find a spot for Kenny and he played centre, keeping another future immortal in Mal Meninga on the bench.

Now you tell me exactly why you think Widdop would not make a good centre? I bet you fail to answer the question.

Last edited:

Latest posts