What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit66

Bench
I haven't read all the comments and I would rather that justice be carried out and a person remain innocent until proven otherwise but I'm actually a little relieved as one of my major concerns was that whenever Jack ran on the field our opposing team's fans would feel free to Boo long and loud and carry on and turn our games into a bit of a farce. That I would hate to see, it would affect the whole team and not just Jack. I was kinda hoping he would stand down himself but I respect his right to claim that he be treated justly and according to the law.
One thing I would like to say though is F*** the self righteous commercial media for calling for this at the same time they cry pity for poor Pell the convicted child molestor and prick who did his best to stifle investigations into his other kiddy fiddling mates.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Because they have access to too much money at a young age. I suggest that a large percent of their earnings be put into a trust account set up like a supper account. This account can be drawn on once the player attains the age of 30 or when the trustee is convinced to let it be drawn down at an earlier age.
What if players want to invest their money in property or some others kinds of investments, which is a very good idea?

I will add that I can see where you are coming from, with young players having too much time and money on their hands.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Because they have access to too much money at a young age. I suggest that a large percent of their earnings be put into a trust account set up like a supper account. This account can be drawn on once the player attains the age of 30 or when the trustee is convinced to let it be drawn down at an earlier age.
Oh yeh OK. While you at it raise the legal age for drinking and gambling to 30 for all NRL players.
That is what player managers are for!

Crush

Coach
This thread is going to take over the Sack Mary thread for most number of posts at this rate.
I'm actually surprised nobody has tried to link this case back to Mary yet? Surely he is to blame for not being a strong enough coach and leader for JDB?
No?
Any takers?

getsmarty

Immortal
'I am innocent': Jack de Belin responds after being stood down from NRL
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_2337_1319_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Stood down: Jack de Belin. Photo: AAP

• Jack de Belin has declared his innocence after being stood down from the NRL, saying he will "vigorously defend" himself against a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

The ARL Commission met on Thursday at League Central before announcing a major change to the game's disciplinary policy concerning players who are accused of serious crimes.

De Belin, 27, has pleaded not guilty in Wollongong court and now faces an extended period out of the competition.

"Rugby league has always been a big part of my life, I love the game," De Belin said in a statement released by the Dragons on Thursday afternoon.

"I am innocent and will vigorously defend the charge against me.

"I want to thank my partner, family, friends, the club, members, sponsors and fans for the support they have given me during this difficult time."

Previously, players who pleaded not guilty to alleged offences were allowed to continue playing while the matters were dealt with in court.

r4_0_1004_563_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Decision day: Todd Greenberg and Peter Beattie at League Central on Thursday. Photo: Steven Siewert

Read more: De Belin rubbed out but stoush with NRL set to continue

Under the new policy, any player who is charged with an offence that carries a maximum prison term of 11 years or more will be automatically stood down. NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg also has the discretionary powers to stand down players charged with offences involving the assault of women or children. Players will be allowed to continue to train with their teams and remain on full pay.

“There will be a no-fault stand-down for players who are charged with serious criminal offences above that line,” ARLC chairman Peter Beattie said. “Underneath that there are going to be charges that aren’t in that level of severity that will be in the discretion of the CEO to deal with.

“We are making no judgment whatsoever in relation to any player who is charged with any offence. What we’re doing is setting a benchmark and a standard to protect the game of rugby league.

r4_0_1006_563_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New policy: Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg after Thursday's announcement. Photo: AAP

[New policy: Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg after Thursday's announcement.]

New policy: Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg after Thursday's announcement.CREDIT:AAP

“This is in a nutshell about rebuilding the reputation of rugby league. We need to restore people's confidence in the game."

Beattie said clubs who had players stood down would not automatically be granted salary cap relief but could apply for it. He said 15 of the 16 clubs were supportive of the new policy and that it had been approved unanimously by commissioners.

Greenberg confirmed de Belin would be stood down under the new policy. He said a decision had not been made yet on Manly centre Dylan Walker, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of assaulting his fiancee.

Greenberg and de Belin had met at St Georges Leagues Club on Wednesday.

“I wanted to convey to him personally the direction the game was heading," Greenberg said.

"I wanted to explain to him the reasons why. I thought I owed that to him. It was a difficult conversation.”

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston and other club bosses met with the ARLC and Greenberg on Thursday before the announcement was made.

"We are very supportive of the desire of the NRL to improve player behaviour and propagate the game of rugby league," Johnston said as he left League Central.

"What we are dealing with is a very compromising and polarising subject regarding Jack de Belin but above all we have been guided by the legal system and NRL rules.

"Above all we are concerned about the welfare of Jack de Belin - that's our priority at the present stage.

"We are just about to head off now and give consideration to the changes the NRL are making to the rules so we can digest that and understand, clearly, what it means."

Rugby League Players Association CEO Ian Prendergast said he opposed the policy shift.

“The RLPA is disappointed in the decision made by the Australian Rugby League Commission today to alter a policy that will directly impact on the employment rights of its members,” Prendergast said.

“The ramifications for players will be substantial – both those who are currently defending charges and those who may be subject to the same situation in the future.

“Whilst we respect the commission’s view that this is a ‘no fault’ policy, the reality is that standing down a player indefinitely can impact on the fundamental principle of the presumption of innocence and may prejudice the legal process.

“As we have consistently stated, this change will do irreparable damage to the player and his employment.

“Professional athletes already have short careers and waiting for the conclusion of a court case would significantly impact, and in some cases, end their time in the game."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ponds-after-being-stood-down-from-nrl/?cs=302

SaintPauli

Juniors
I KNOW THE FOLLOWING SOUNDS FAR FETCHED BUT IT MAY VERY WELL HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE!

You can see this new NRL ruling will open up a can if worms. Meaning if someone wether in the NRL or Outside don't like a player or club, can setup a player being incriminated and subsequently causing immediate withdrawal from playing.

Drag Queen

Bench
Problem was or is ............. The NRL wanted him gone but didn't want to be legally bound by making the decision to stand him done, for fear of future law suits.
They wanted their way, at the expense of either the club doing the dirty work and or Jack taking the standing down by his own accord, there by relinquishing any future legalities.

Beattie is a lifelong sufferer of verbal diarrhea whilst lacking any backbone to rest on but to no avail.
He comes from a long line of jellybacks in search of a spine.

Make no mistake, Beattie will be gone as soon as the media settles on this case.
The blind truth is he wouldn't have a chance in hell of suing anyone whether innocent or guilty. No precedent comes to mind. Finally the NRL board have showed some balls. Low hanging balls, but it takes the onus out of our team which I think they were hoping for. Best decision for the team. Go kick some goals Dragons without distraction.

Drag Queen

Bench
There are no winners in this case whatever happens.
The NRL should have let our club handle this.
Except they didn't. I'm going to say they wanted the NRL to make that decision. If you think otherwise you are delusional. You want booing from both sides. I don't personally.

BLM01

First Grade
Think we may agree here. Or no booze in public. It's not that bloody hard. Or is it?
Too hard DQ. You cant treat men or women over the age of 18 playing NRL any different to the rest of the world. That is what parents are there for..or the lack there of..player managers...or club so called minders when out in public. Old enough by law to make their own bed and lie in it.

possm

Coach
What if players want to invest their money in property or some others kinds of investments, which is a very good idea?

I will add that I can see where you are coming from, with young players having too much time and money on their hands.

The trustee can do that on their behalf. In the same way as if they want to buy their own home or invest more into super.

Belta

Juniors
The blind truth is he wouldn't have a chance in hell of suing anyone whether innocent or guilty. No precedent comes to mind. Finally the NRL board have showed some balls. Low hanging balls, but it takes the onus out of our team which I think they were hoping for. Best decision for the team. Go kick some goals Dragons without distraction.

Are you sure Drag. If JDB is found not guilty he can’t sue? I was thinking the reason for all the delay in standing him down related to this very topic. I’d assume if JDB is found not guilty he will end up being a very, very rich man, most likely in a undisclosed out of court settlement. I’d assume the NRL board have accepted this but still went with this no fault policy as it fits better with public opinion.

Drag Queen

Bench
Too hard DQ. You cant treat men or women over the age of 18 playing NRL any different to the rest of the world. That is what parents are there for..or the lack there of..player managers...or club so called minders when out in public. Old enough by law to make their own bed and lie in it.
How about all sporting clubs lay down the law regarding booze/stupitidy etc when paying players overs. Dragons had no problem standing down a 20 year old Craig Garvey for an assault which he didn't start. The little fella finished off best, community service done, no custodial sentence. I guess you need CCTV footage these days. Now I'm just waiting for our illustrious board to file suit against the NRL like they said they would. Beggars belief.

Drag Queen

Bench
Are you sure Drag. If JDB is found not guilty he can’t sue? I was thinking the reason for all the delay in standing him down related to this very topic. I’d assume if JDB is found not guilty he will end up being a very, very rich man, most likely in a undisclosed out of court settlement. I’d assume the NRL board have accepted this but still went with this no fault policy as it fits better with public opinion.
Am I incorrect in assuming he was stood down with pay? Show me one case where someone has successfully sued on this premise. Wrongful incarceration warrants remuneration. Whether they get it or not is a totally different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts