What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Kasiano

SnowDragon

Juniors
No idea if big Sam is up for it in 2019... but clearly he has shown he can play.

I guess we will get the salary cap allowance as long as we don’t fight the nrl. Tow the party line or else was the clear message...

If Melbourne cover most the costs of sams reported 600k contract, we could get a decent player for say 100k... that’s what always being reported, though sounds too good to be true, or sam isn’t in good shape...

Belta

Juniors
Firstly I’d agree with the grub tag and I wouldn’t be tossing a lot of cash his way but “IF” the jokers give us cap allowance, then another impact forward is IMO handy to have.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that a lack of forward depth/momentum has cost us dearly in recent times. I’m so used to it I’m already bracing for the inevitable fade out post Origin.

What’s diffferent this season? Maybe the young brigade can fill the void (hopefully our first choices are Kerr, Timm, Blacker) but another big fatso in the cupboard can only help, as long as he eats whilst he’s in the cupboard.

hewi

Bench
I’d wait, firstly why a prop to replace a back rower? Secondly, I feel that it’s an excellent opportunity for the fringe players to step up knowing there is a vacancy to be filled, great incentive.

ouryears

Bench
I just read a headline from the SMH saying Kasiano firming as DeBelin's replacement. I like it. I think he has the potential to be one of the best props in the game. We needed another decent prop on our roster. We would also be weakening Melbourne's front row depth. Can Mary get Kasiano and Norman to perform. If so, I think we are in for a big season, but then Mary will probably pick Aitken and Lafai in the centres, with Pereira and Lomax on the wings, so that will dent my confidence.

Maybe Graham can fire Kasiano up?

Many props mature later in their career's. Kasiano is 28, so he should be peaking now.
Yep....the drums are beating louder
It could very well be

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just found this article, which says that Melbourne are around 600K over the salary cap and are prepared to offload Kasiano and pay 500K of his salary this year. That would effectively mean us getting Kasiano for 100K. Now that is the bargain of the century. It is too good to be true. When I read someone else on this thread say that we could get Sam for only 100K this year, I didn't believe it. Millward continues to produce. So far he got Vaughan with Canberra paying a large chunk of his salary in his first year here. Then he got Graham with Canterbury paying close to half his salary last year. Then he got Norman at a bargain price, with I think Parra paying some of his salary this year and now it looks like Kasiano for 100K. Millward also signed both the Sims brothers and has resigned many promising juniors such as Lomax, Leilua, Field, Marsters, Lawrie, Host, Robson, Dufty.

Millward is looking like the best recruitment officer in the game.

Here is the article

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...e-illawarra-report/1lenbtwt48brm1w8oajs1gmemi

possm

Coach
Great news! We are not likely to be able to use JDB salary cap at all now so we don't have to sign Kasiano!
Just picture it like JDB did his ACL on the first tackle of charity shield to make it palatable.
Who told you that! I doubt it is true.

possm

Coach
I just read a headline from the SMH saying Kasiano firming as DeBelin's replacement. I like it. I think he has the potential to be one of the best props in the game. We needed another decent prop on our roster. We would also be weakening Melbourne's front row depth. Can Mary get Kasiano and Norman to perform. If so, I think we are in for a big season, but then Mary will probably pick Aitken and Lafai in the centres, with Pereira and Lomax on the wings, so that will dent my confidence.

Maybe Graham can fire Kasiano up?

Many props mature later in their career's. Kasiano is 28, so he should be peaking now.

This could only be made possible because Storm want to off-load Kasiano - salary cap issues.

possm

Coach
I’d wait, firstly why a prop to replace a back rower? Secondly, I feel that it’s an excellent opportunity for the fringe players to step up knowing there is a vacancy to be filled, great incentive.

K Sims is our likely lock option; he currently occupies a prop position. So it is Kasiano to replace K Sims in the prop rotation.

Graham and Kasiano will be low minute replacement props off the bench however, both can be devastating against tired forwards or bench forwards and either of them could start the game.

Having a big young prop like Kerr or Timm as our fourth prop in our prop rotation might not be such a bad thing in 2019.

Walpole

Juniors
K Sims is our likely lock option; he currently occupies a prop position. So it is Kasiano to replace K Sims in the prop rotation.

Graham and Kasiano will be low minute replacement props off the bench however, both can be devastating against tired forwards or bench forwards and either of them could start the game.

Having a big young prop like Kerr or Timm as our fourth prop in our prop rotation might not be such a bad thing in 2019.
Where does Blake Lawrie fit in your scenario?

possm

Coach
Where does Blake Lawrie fit in your scenario?

That will be up to Mary however, I'm hearing his long term future at the Dragons is up in the air. Apparently the Roosters are very interested in him.

Kerr and Timm are more the big prop players Mary wants in his forward pack.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I will be very disappointed if this cat ever dons the big red V. Absokute waste of space and of a top 30 position.
I would rather us focus on developing what we already have and realky take a look at how our young props perform, especially tomorrow.
As far as our starting forwards is concerned, its not rocket science and there doesnt need to be an upheaval in our props. Friz is the only one who could pkay the middle forward role with the same intensity of JDB, that means tackkes, runs, run metres and minutes played. Host or Leilua to slot into his role on the edge.
That equates to zero impact on our current props and really there shouldnt even be so.
Forwards:
Starting props = Vaughan and JG
Bench props = Lawrie and K. Sims, with Kerr, Timm and even dare say Latimore and Allgood. There is also young Blacker but i feel he isnt seasoned enough for week in week out 1st grade as yet.
T. Sims as one edge and either Host/Leilua as the other. We also have young Ford as well.
So, no room or necessity for that piece of $#^! Kasiano and frankly why would we try and help the Storm out of their cap situation by signing one of their rejects.

Country Dragon

Juniors
I will be very disappointed if this cat ever dons the big red V. Absokute waste of space and of a top 30 position.
I would rather us focus on developing what we already have and realky take a look at how our young props perform, especially tomorrow.
As far as our starting forwards is concerned, its not rocket science and there doesnt need to be an upheaval in our props. Friz is the only one who could pkay the middle forward role with the same intensity of JDB, that means tackkes, runs, run metres and minutes played. Host or Leilua to slot into his role on the edge.
That equates to zero impact on our current props and really there shouldnt even be so.
Forwards:
Starting props = Vaughan and JG
Bench props = Lawrie and K. Sims, with Kerr, Timm and even dare say Latimore and Allgood. There is also young Blacker but i feel he isnt seasoned enough for week in week out 1st grade as yet.
T. Sims as one edge and either Host/Leilua as the other. We also have young Ford as well.
So, no room or necessity for that piece of $#^! Kasiano and frankly why would we try and help the Storm out of their cap situation by signing one of their rejects.
Even for 100K he is just an expensive reserve grader!

Eastview

Juniors
If the Storm are so desperate to get rid of a player we should go for Big Nelson instead... if they are as desperate to free up salary cap as reported hopefully they would consider releasing any player for the right offer

Bench
Storm will cover $500k of his contract and we will put up $100k. If we did sign him would it be for one year only or longer.
If he was signed for say two years I think he would be after a lot more the $100k.
I Don’t think we should go after him, he is not the same player he was at the bulldogs.
Should be avoided, end of story

Only, ONLY, if we're paying $100K and it's for this season only. He's better than nothing. But he's played his best football and if we're stuck with him for 2020 and 2021 at the full $600K it's very poor recruitment. He'd be Latimore 2.0 at a marquee price.

If Melbourne are in serious trouble let's step on their neck and go for Finucane. Otherwise, stick with the alternative and go for Prior who is a better player than Kasiano and would have a role in 2020 and 2021 if this is Graham's last season at this level.