What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outcome re Pascoe and the cap

gordsy

Juniors
I haven't been able to find an outcome re Pascoe and the penalty re him and the cap.

Anyone got the details on this ?

I think the board met today so the outcome will probably be made public tomorrow.

Given Jennings signing was ratified by the NRL I am wondering if our cap penalty has been reduced or suspended.

Hopefully Pascoe returns too.

macnaz

Staff member
By the end of the month ?
Guess they didnt state what month or year.
If they want to be FAIR and not consistent now is an easy time to just say no contract was signed and no advantage was taken.
The NRL hopefully will already be preoccupied with the Bell End legal stuff without taking on our unwinnable case for them as well .

Vic Mackey

Referee
I didn’t hear it but apparently Dean Ritchie said he believes our fine will be suspended, salary cap deduction spread over multiple years however Pascoe won’t come back.

super_coach

First Grade
I didn’t hear it but apparently Dean Ritchie said he believes our fine will be suspended, salary cap deduction spread over multiple years however Pascoe won’t come back.

From where I sit I see Pascoe as probably our no1 asset and if this is the case I would imagine he will possibly walk away from the game.

My feeling this is all about the NRL trying to save face. Anyway we should know by mid day and Brydens May take up Pascoe’s case in a civil court, but knowing the NRL they are probably holding a gun at the club, saying that the other concessions are off if go to court.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
NRL slashes Wests Tigers' fine, allows CEO to return in June

By Adrian Proszenko
March 1, 2019 — 9.23am

The NRL has suspended half of Wests Tigers' $750,000 fine and will allow the club's former chief executive Justin Pascoe to return to the game in just over three months.
The governing body will on Friday close the book on a number of outstanding integrity matters, with the Tigers one of the clubs most affected.

Pascoe was deregistered for failing to disclose a lucrative ambassadorial role for hooker Robbie Farah when he retires. The Tigers were left reeling when the NRL imposed a provisional $750,000 fine – as well as deducting $639,000 out of their salary cap – because they had not declared the arrangement when Farah left the club in 2016.
As part of the NRL's final determination, it can be revealed the fine will be halved and the salary cap penalty will be spread over two seasons rather than just rolled into 2019. That means the Tigers won't have to shed any players and the latest arrival, former Rabbitoh Robert Jennings, will be part of a salary cap-compliant squad for this year.
The news is also positive for Pascoe. His provisional deregistration was open ended, raising fears he could be wiped out of the game permanently. However, his ban will end after six months, backdated to December 19. That means Pascoe will be free to return to the Tigers from June 19.

It's understood the joint venture club will welcome him back on that date, allowing him to resume his administrative career. Pascoe has been credited with getting the Tigers back in the black financially and was also a driving force in obtaining the funds required for a new centre of excellence.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...ws-ceo-to-return-in-june-20190301-p5111w.html

Greent#rd and the NRL have been shown up again at how poor they are at administration,these penalties are more about them trying to save public face than anything JP may or may not have done.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Would’ve preferred the salary cap fine to have been halved or entirely lifted.320k spread over 2 seasons is the value of a decent player.

Silent Knight

First Grade
The fine should be entirely suspended in my opinion. This has been an absolute farce from the NRL and as usual they are more than willing to stomp on any club that isn't one of the "glamour" clubs. How many players end their careers and then move on to an admin or coaching role, it happens right across the game. Hell Rory Kostjasyn copped an injury before he even played a game for my club and the very next season he was given a junior coaching role.

Good luck this season Tigers. Under Maguire I very much doubt you will be a pushover in any game and you will be challenging for a top 8 spot.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The fine should be entirely suspended in my opinion. This has been an absolute farce from the NRL and as usual they are more than willing to stomp on any club that isn't one of the "glamour" clubs. How many players end their careers and then move on to an admin or coaching role, it happens right across the game. Hell Rory Kostjasyn copped an injury before he even played a game for my club and the very next season he was given a junior coaching role.

Good luck this season Tigers. Under Maguire I very much doubt you will be a pushover in any game and you will be challenging for a top 8 spot.
It’d b nice if we were both to qualify for the 8 at the expense of rorting glamour clubs

Front-Rower

First Grade
How many players end their careers and then move on to an admin or coaching role, it happens right across the game. Hell Rory Kostjasyn copped an injury before he even played a game for my club and the very next season he was given a junior coaching role.

Completely different circumstances. This scenario applies more to our case with Simon Dwyer.

Farah left the club with a promise of the role after he retires. He then is bought back to the club in a playing capacity on a lower value contract with the offer of a job still on the table.