What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top three Australian movies

horrie hastings

First Grade
Rabbit Proof Fence
And I will get mocked massively for this but Muriel’s Wedding is a good flick I pretend not to like when the wife puts it on, but secretly kinda like

Why would you get mocked, Muriels Wedding is a great movie, it has moments that can make you laugh and moments that could make you cry, I always love the last scene when they say goodbye Porpoise Spit. If you get the chance go and see the stage show, it was brilliantly done.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yep I saw the stage show too mate.

As much as it’s a bit of fun on ABBA, truthfully it’s a well told story of characters who are all hiding behind facades.

The mother's passing in the stage show was so well done, it heavily relied on ABBA and could have been corny but was pulled off nicely, It actually felt like a feel good moment instead of being sad.

Some awesome movies listed on these posts. Temptation to list a bunch but to go by the rules of the Thread.. top 3 only..

Mad Max (original).
Red Dog
Kenny

There's about another dozen I could have had in there, but 3 only it is.

nöyd

Staff member
Most of what has already been listed by others, but my top 5 would look something like

* Mad Max
* Crocodile Dundee
* Two Hands
* The Castle
* Stir (based upon the Bathurst Gaol riot in 1974)

Parra

Referee
Most of what has already been listed by others, but my top 5 would look something like

* Mad Max
* Crocodile Dundee
* Two Hands
* The Castle
* Stir (based upon the Bathurst Gaol riot in 1974)

I vaguely remembet Stir. I'll have to hunt it down. Thanks for including this.

Parra

Referee
Was going to mention They’re A Weird Mob.

Re Two Hands, one of the scenes was filmed out the front of where I worked at Waterloo, I got sick of seeing the dummy being run over for two days in a row.

Another one for great on location shots of Sydney pre-opera house is The Siege of Pinchgut

horrie hastings

First Grade
A bit surprised that The Adventures Of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert hasn't been mentioned yet.

Another movie I did enjoy, wouldn't say it was the best Australian movie but had a few genuine laughs in it is A Few Best Men, just seeing Olivia Newton John swinging on a chandelier was worth the price of admission .

Zachary Smith

Juniors
The Castle
Mad Max
The Odd Angry Shot - I've read US army vets say they think it's the most realistic portrayal of Vietnam.

Life's Good

Coach
Some great movies already mentioned from which I’d nominate:

Mad Max (original) - Just a bad ass movie.
The Castle - Appeals on so many levels
Chopper - f**k Chopper himself, the mindless thug, it’s just hard to go past Bana who was mighty in the role. The story would have been compelling if it was based on fiction but Bana really brought it to life.

Honourable mention would be Crocodile Dundee. I mean who didn’t like seeing ‘Arfur Dunger’, ‘Luigi The Incredible’ make it big.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
The Dish, Two Hands, and Gallipoli get my votes, mind you every movie mentioned are crackers.

The Dish is probably my favourite movie to recommend to americans when they ask me about aussie cinema over here. It is filled with aussie humour, but framed around a common global event so they can keep up