What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Orville

Timbo

Staff member
I know a few of us were discussing it in the Star Trek thread, but it demands its own post.

Man, season two has kicked it up a notch. This show that was marketed as Star Trek with dick jokes is actually a heavy hitting, pretty high-concept sci-fi show that hits you in the feels when you least expect. Family Guy in space, it is not.

Season 2, ep. 3 ‘Home’. Wow, I actually teared up a bit at the end.

The whole thing is available on SBS On Demand if you’re keen for a look.

mackdadday

Juniors
I don't mind it. Still another situation where how does this show get season two when Firefly got just one measly season? That said this has a nice cast and is one of those shows you can smile through for 42 minutes.

mackdadday

Juniors
Season 2 episode 2 with Bordus and his secret room was a what the fudge did i just watch episode haha. His husbands 'I think you've had enough injections' line almost made me fall off the bed.

mackdadday

Juniors
They are, indeed, kicking it up in season 2. Episode 2 was hilarious and episode three had a tear in my eye.

Jack Deth

Juniors
I don't mind it. Still another situation where how does this show get season two when Firefly got just one measly season? That said this has a nice cast and is one of those shows you can smile through for 42 minutes.

Firefly rocked.

mackdadday

Juniors
Nothing will ever comprae to Firefly in the space cowboy genre sadly :)

Just watched episode 5.

Woman is giving birth in prison barracks
Kelly:Bordus.You have a child. Can you help?
Bordus:Will there be an egg?
Kelly:Nevermind

Timbo

Staff member
Nothing will ever comprae to Firefly in the space cowboy genre sadly :)

Just watched episode 5.

Woman is giving birth in prison barracks
Kelly:Bordus.You have a child. Can you help?
Bordus:Will there be an egg?
Kelly:Nevermind

There were a few issues of logic I had in that episode.

Captain Ed: ‘They’ve kidnapped two senior officers and thrown them in a concentration camp for being Libras. I can go rescue them right’

Admiral Ted Danson: ‘nah, they just have to stay there because, reasons’.

That was just bizarre. Who would ever join a military that would abandon you like that.

mackdadday

Juniors
I was a bit perturbed by that proclomaton by Admiral Ted as well. Luckily i sustained and watched episode 6 which was probably the strangest and funniest episode thus far. Bordus is out of control in season 2.

who would have thought we'd see Bordus with a moustache and Isaac in underpants hahaha

Timbo

Staff member
I hope it’s not a fakeout and Isaac has been changed by the power of love or whatever.

It’d be a really cool move to take the guy who was originally looking like the Orville’s version of Data and turn him into the Borg. If he becomes the recurring big bad from here it’s a much more interesting choice.

bileduct

Coach
I watched this latest episode to see what everyone was raving about, and I still see a show that blatantly rips from ST:TNG in every way possible. The fact that this episode had next to no humour in it made it even more obvious, as did the many parallels with The Best of Both Worlds.

I'm not sure what this show is trying to be. It's not a good parody like Spaceballs or Galaxy Quest, and it's not a good drama either.

In fact, it all comes across like Seth MacFarlane really, really wanted to be a lead actor on a Star Trek show after his cameo appearances on Enterprise but got turned down and made The Orville instead.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I watched this latest episode to see what everyone was raving about, and I still see a show that blatantly rips from ST:TNG in every way possible. The fact that this episode had next to no humour in it made it even more obvious, as did the many parallels with The Best of Both Worlds.

I'm not sure what this show is trying to be. It's not a good parody like Spaceballs or Galaxy Quest, and it's not a good drama either.

In fact, it all comes across like Seth MacFarlane really, really wanted to be a lead actor on a Star Trek show after his cameo appearances on Enterprise but got turned down and made The Orville instead.

Apparently in the first season the network made him add more comedy. He’s been allowed to make it how he wants it this season and it’s far more sci fi oriented now and a better show.

Also the impact of this episode would be far lessened if you haven’t been watching all along. The show was setting Isaac up to be a Data analogue. If they backflip on last weeks episode it’ll be a massive cop out.

bileduct

Coach
Also the impact of this episode would be far lessened if you haven’t been watching all along. The show was setting Isaac up to be a Data analogue. If they backflip on last weeks episode it’ll be a massive cop out.
The Data analogue is immediately obvious.

They even reference a previous episode of The Orville in which Isaac attempts to understand humour, which was done to death with Data on ST:TNG.

Timbo

Staff member
I liked how they basically fused 'The Best of Both Worlds Pt. 2' and 'Sacrifice of Angels' - which are Treks two greatest conflict resolutions into one episode. Which was pretty cool.

A bit sad that it was a very formulaic ending.

Latest posts