What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Wildcard Weekend' Finals Proposal for 2020

gitano

Juniors
The laws of buoyancy..

There’s no luck there..

Just physics..
Lucky there's physics.
Of course, sayings can often be misinterpreted, or meanings lost over time.

You see, it's not about your run of the mill paddle boat.

"This term comes from the term “man in the boat,” the boat being a woman’s clitoris. Therefore, if “your boat is floating” you are very happy, hence, whatever floats your boat."

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-saying-whatever-floats-your-boat-mean

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Lucky there's physics.

"This term comes from the term “man in the boat,” the boat being a woman’s clitoris. Therefore, if “your boat is floating” you are very happy, hence, whatever floats your boat."

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-saying-whatever-floats-your-boat-mean
This makes me really confused about my trip to the shipmaking yard in yr11 economics..

gitano

Juniors
This makes me really confused about my trip to the shipmaking yard in yr11 economics..
It's crazy isn't it.

Not as crazy as the AFL using the Mcintyre system though. I thought Footscray were robbed.

What does everyone think about this idea, floated by the NRL for next year ? In theory a team finishing 10th could go all the way and take out the Grand Final, although the odds would be like winning Lotto. I suspect it is just a ploy to milk more from the TV cash cow.
I think it has merit from the fans' point of view because even the under achievers get a second chance. Having said that, we already allow half the teams to play in the finals and 6,7 and 8 have very little chance of winning the title as history has taught us.
What may really liven things up is a promotion/relegation possibility whereby there is a life and death struggle to stay in the top grade all the way to the last round of the comp.
I know that given the current set up, it would be a big change but it may provide a platform to expand the comp.
Ipswich, Central Coast Bears, Perth, Second Brisbane Team.
Split the comp into 2 and so on.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
What does everyone think about this idea, floated by the NRL for next year ? In theory a team finishing 10th could go all the way and take out the Grand Final, although the odds would be like winning Lotto. I suspect it is just a ploy to milk more from the TV cash cow.
Worse idea since pink batts in the ceiling scandal.
10th gets a chance.....why?
Because they are shit?
FMD

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL proposes wildcard weekend revamp for finals series
Dragons Den
Bodies slumped. Minds struggling to comprehend how it all came to this.

r595_195_5150_3010_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Down and out: Josh Dugan feels the pain of missing the 2017 finals series after losing to the Bulldogs. Picture: Daniel Munoz/AAP

Remember doomsday, September 3, 2017?

When St George Illawarra's finals hopes collapsed with a shock 26-20 loss to the battling Bulldogs.

Leading the competition after beating the Cowboys at WIN Stadium in round seven, the Dragons lost eight of their last 12 games to finish ninth.

But what if you re-write history and offer St George Illawarra a lifeline by playing a wildcard sudden-death final against the eight-placed North Queensland?

And what of last year's campaign, where rather than taking out their frustrations on Brisbane with a stunning 48-18 elimination final thumping, they instead had to play 10th-placed Canberra on the proposed wildcard weekend just to gain a start in the playoffs?

The concept should heighten the emotions of Dragons fans more than any other, simply because St George Illawarra have long been the kings of finals heartbreak, with the obvious exception of the 2010 premiership. And if radio talkback and social media forums provide enough indication of the fan feedback NRL head of elite football operations Graham Annesley is looking for, the idea has polarised opinion.

Does it reward mediocrity? A team can finish 10th with a negative win-loss record and still be alive. But they'd have to win five consecutive games to win the premiership anyway, highly unlikely.

Maybe the Dragons could lean on new Jersey Flegg coach Willie Talau for guidance on how to spark a fairytale finals run, if they find themselves in a similar situation under the wildcard format.

Talau famously scored the try, which after Daryl Halligan's conversion levelled the scores in one of the all-time great comebacks in the 1998 preliminary final against Parramatta.

The Dogs launched a fairytale run from ninth in a 10-team finals series, the year the competition reformed at the end of the Super League war, only beaten by Brisbane in the grand final.

The bigger issue may be at the top. Win the qualifier and your team has two weeks off in three. In the history of the top eight AFL or NRL systems, only the Western Bulldogs have come from outside the top four to win the 2016 title.

It was the year the AFL brought in the pre-finals bye, which is what the top six NRL teams will be doing if the wildcard weekend is introduced.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ldcard-playoff-has-polarised-opinion/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
NRL proposes wildcard weekend revamp for finals series
Dragons Den
Bodies slumped. Minds struggling to comprehend how it all came to this.

r595_195_5150_3010_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Down and out: Josh Dugan feels the pain of missing the 2017 finals series after losing to the Bulldogs. Picture: Daniel Munoz/AAP

Remember doomsday, September 3, 2017?

When St George Illawarra's finals hopes collapsed with a shock 26-20 loss to the battling Bulldogs.

Leading the competition after beating the Cowboys at WIN Stadium in round seven, the Dragons lost eight of their last 12 games to finish ninth.

But what if you re-write history and offer St George Illawarra a lifeline by playing a wildcard sudden-death final against the eight-placed North Queensland?

And what of last year's campaign, where rather than taking out their frustrations on Brisbane with a stunning 48-18 elimination final thumping, they instead had to play 10th-placed Canberra on the proposed wildcard weekend just to gain a start in the playoffs?

The concept should heighten the emotions of Dragons fans more than any other, simply because St George Illawarra have long been the kings of finals heartbreak, with the obvious exception of the 2010 premiership. And if radio talkback and social media forums provide enough indication of the fan feedback NRL head of elite football operations Graham Annesley is looking for, the idea has polarised opinion.

Does it reward mediocrity? A team can finish 10th with a negative win-loss record and still be alive. But they'd have to win five consecutive games to win the premiership anyway, highly unlikely.

Maybe the Dragons could lean on new Jersey Flegg coach Willie Talau for guidance on how to spark a fairytale finals run, if they find themselves in a similar situation under the wildcard format.

Talau famously scored the try, which after Daryl Halligan's conversion levelled the scores in one of the all-time great comebacks in the 1998 preliminary final against Parramatta.

The Dogs launched a fairytale run from ninth in a 10-team finals series, the year the competition reformed at the end of the Super League war, only beaten by Brisbane in the grand final.

The bigger issue may be at the top. Win the qualifier and your team has two weeks off in three. In the history of the top eight AFL or NRL systems, only the Western Bulldogs have come from outside the top four to win the 2016 title.

It was the year the AFL brought in the pre-finals bye, which is what the top six NRL teams will be doing if the wildcard weekend is introduced.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ldcard-playoff-has-polarised-opinion/?cs=3713

Apart from the extra revenue such a change is likely to attract, I can't see the merit in such a change. I'd rather see two simultaneous finals series going on at the same time:
  • The current system including the top 8 for the Shield.
  • A new final series for the bottom 8 for a Cup.
I believe this change would generate even more interest and more revenue.

st penguin

Juniors
Lucky there's physics.

Hang on, what??

So the term "man in the boat" means "man in the clitoris"? But now the boat is floating, so it's like a floating clitoris? Is the man still inside this floating clitoris?

st penguin

Juniors
Apart from the extra revenue such a change is likely to attract, I can't see the merit in such a change. I'd rather see two simultaneous finals series going on at the same time:
  • The current system including the top 8 for the Shield.
  • A new final series for the bottom 8 for a Cup.
I believe this change would generate even more interest and more revenue.
Personally, I hate the idea. When we miss the 8, it means we are playing shit football and I am glad the season is finally over. I have little appetite to watch our underperforming team battle other under-performing teams for a cup no one cares about.

Old Timer

Coach
FMD we used to have a press season cup that actually had some merit but is of a bygone era (too many games per year was the outcry) and now they want to have a longer season that disadvantages the teams that actually finish near the top.
Give me back the AMCO Cup and TV Ted Ellery.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
FMD we used to have a press season cup
I remember that..

My favourite match was the one where the Herald knocked off the Financial Review to meet the Telegraph in the grand final..

Still can’t believe that the Betoota Advocate played the whole comp stark naked..

Old Timer

Coach
I remember that..

My favourite match was the one where the Herald knocked off the Financial Review to meet the Telegraph in the grand final..

Still can’t believe that the Betoota Advocate played the whole comp stark naked..
Nice one champion I have to dips me lid to you on this occasion.