What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oceania Cup confirmed

Stallion

First Grade
No it wont be.

NSW is 2 hours behind and Qld 3 when Daylight savings is in place.

Ok. So 6pm in NSW when the main news bulletins are on tv. And 5pm on Queensland. Thanks for the info. All games basically Saturday afternoon on the eastern seaboard of Australia.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Hope so. If it's on previous timeslots for such games, most likely 8pm in NZ. Hope you are right. Wonder if we can get these times confirmed?
Again you are wrong. Most games previously in NZ start at 7.30 and there is no reason to think that would be different here. Especially with the chance of it clashing with the world cup final.

adamkungl

Immortal
Again you are wrong. Most games previously in NZ start at 7.30 and there is no reason to think that would be different here. Especially with the chance of it clashing with the world cup final.

Do you think a 7.30pm start is risky though? That's a 9.30 finish with the RWC final at 10.
If i gave a shit about Union, I'd be leaving half-time, if I even bothered attending at all.

Dopey commentators can talk up "having confidence" and "taking on the other codes" all they want but it's an indisputable fact that when you schedule a clash at least some of your potential audience will choose the other option.
It follows that
A) It's disrespectful to your audience
B) When you're starting with the smaller audience, you're doing more damage to yourself than the competition.

Stallion

First Grade

Ok.Half an hour difference! Well done. Think you get what the point is or are you just being picky?
What world cup final?

jim_57

Staff member
Do you think a 7.30pm start is risky though? That's a 9.30 finish with the RWC final at 10.
If i gave a shit about Union, I'd be leaving half-time, if I even bothered attending at all.

Dopey commentators can talk up "having confidence" and "taking on the other codes" all they want but it's an indisputable fact that when you schedule a clash at least some of your potential audience will choose the other option.
It follows that
B) When you're starting with the smaller audience, you're doing more damage to yourself than the competition.

In a situation like this they'd be mad not to try and cater to the audience somewhat/somehow.

I wonder if keeping the stadium open would be an option, setting up big screens on the field so fans have a "chance to watch the World Cup final from the home of the All-Blacks".

Not sure it would be that appealing watching a game on a screen in a stadium to be honest but just floating ideas.

morningstar

Juniors
Broadcasting fees will not be a factor in making this a profitable venture, so no need to appease them. Pretty simple really..,

Game 1 - Samoa v Fiji K.O 1:45pm
Game 2 - Tonga v Aus K.O 4pm
Game 3 - Kiwis v Lions 6:15pm
RWC final - 10pm

Te Kaha

First Grade

It follows that

if they were smart they would advertise putting the Final up on the big screen after the game. Would get those who weren't sure along.

Pommy

Coach
if they were smart they would advertise putting the Final up on the big screen after the game. Would get those who weren't sure along.

As good as that sounds a stadium of people on the piss for 4 games doesn’t sound like a brilliant idea.

Te Kaha

First Grade
As good as that sounds a stadium of people on the piss for 4 games doesn’t sound like a brilliant idea.
True, but they will have big screens In places in Aucks anyway. At least at the park they will already have security and Police.

Stallion

First Grade
I'm pointing out that you are making stuff up again.

Not fair. My point is concerned with tv screening times for these internationals in rugby league's biggest market area: the eastern seaboard of Australia. These triple header games will not be screened at primetIme telecast times in NSW, Qld, and Victoria.It's a valid point.
You still have not informed me of what world cup?

Pommy

Coach
Not fair. My point is concerned with tv screening times for these internationals in rugby league's biggest market area: the eastern seaboard of Australia. These triple header games will not be screened at primetIme telecast times in NSW, Qld, and Victoria.It's a valid point.

So when do you want these games to be played? What time does public transport in auckland end?
Why is it that Australian football fans will happily watch European games at stupid and ungodly hours but Australian rugby league fans can’t watch rugby league on a Saturday afternoon?

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade

It's not a valid point at all.

Of the 6 teams playing

NZ and Tonga are on the same timezone, Fiji only an hour behind and Samoa an hour ahead.

The UK will be Saturday morning, so it doesn't matter what time its on really.

Its only NSW and QLD that will be delayed. and who the f**k cares?

Those games will do more for the Islands and NZ then they would ever do for Australia.
The games should suit THEIR time-zones not that of Australia.

Stallion

First Grade
So when do you want these games to be played? What time does public transport in auckland end?
Why is it that Australian football fans will happily watch European games at stupid and in godly hours but Australian rugby league fans can’t watch rugby league on a Saturday afternoon?

Lol. At this time of year it's very different. It's much more user friendly for rugby league to be viewed at primetIme. That's why they call it primetIme. As mainstream customers will not be watching (doing things Saturday arvo: cricket, horse racing , family outings etc)the internationals will not break any tv ratings records. You can take that as fact! The eastern seaboard of Australia is rugby league's biggest tv market. Go figure! PrimetIme coverage is not seen by a ruhby league's largest local.market. Go figure again! I will state this though : The NRL grandfinal should be on earlier with the NZ /Pacific islands viewing numbers in mind but this is another issue on the reverse side that also should be addressed. It's poor tv planning all over for rugby-league.

Last edited: