What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs Eels

Bob

Juniors
Looks like Cartwright might get a run in 1st grade

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...f/news-story/533fd218b5fcfdbee34362a0130e3cf4

Cleary’s bodyguard has no fears for his half

Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
March 4, 2019 8:22pm
Subscriber only
Nathan Cleary will be without his bodyguard Viliame Kikau but according to the injured backrower the Penrith star is still in safe hands.

Cleary was set to start the season alongside Kikau on the left edge in defence but that experiment has been put on hold while Kikau recovers from an MCL injury he picked up in a trial match against South Sydney 10 days ago.

But the rampaging Fijian is confident that both players in line to replace him, Jack Hetherington and Jed Cartwright, will be able provide Cleary with good protection.

4d3152e65a144aaaeb3fc1d2a33cf690

Viliame Kikau won’t be able to protect Nathan Cleary to start the year. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)
MORE NRL NEWS

EELS TEEN SENSATION: MUM MADE ME PLAY FOR PARRA

MONDAY BUZZ: WEEKEND HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS

“The coach has someone in mind to put on that jersey come round one” Kikau said. “We have a good calibre of players in that position. Hethro and Jed are fighting for that position.

“They both have more speed than me so fans will get to see that on the field.

“Jed’s a big guy too, he benches more than me in the gym. He does everything more than me.

“[Hetherington] is not that big in size but he is pretty solid. He’s a fit bloke. He’s a freak, during preseason he is always up there when we do conditioning running.”

eb87cd875fdb649e5a6fde169c90f191

Kikau was injured during a 2019 trial game. Picture: Brett Costello
Despite the show of faith in Cartwright and Hetherington, Kikau revealed that Cleary is eager to have his protector return to the field as soon as possible.

“Nathan told me, ‘you left me hanging. I came over to the left side and you left me hanging’. So I'm keen to get rehab over and done with and get back out there and be with the boys,” he said.

Kikau feared the worst when he first went down with a knee injury during a trial match.

The forward was worried he’d torn his right ACL, an injury which could have ended his 2019 campaign before it even started.

ea07b1746b744e9bc88c4f03191161f3

Cleary was expected to defend on Kikau’s edge this season. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
“I thought it was going to be worse than that because it was painful,” he said.

“I sort of just fell awkwardly and as soon I stood up, I tried my best to play the ball, I don’t know how I did that. I couldn’t even walk off the field.

“The poor trainers had to carry 120kg out. He [Craig Catterick] was asking for help, I could see him asking the other trainers for help.”

Kikau is no longer on crutches — which had to be adjusted to fit his massive frame — but he will remain in a full leg brace for at least another month.

Frankus

Juniors
Been a long time since I’ve even thought about league. Sounds like long overdue for the season to start.

Someone fill me in on the offseason.

Cheers

snickers007

Juniors
Panthers Digital Media have always been very good, but that video is the best stuff they've ever produced.

Gave me goosebumps and a lump in the old throat.

f**k all the noise, I'm ready for Round 1.

Sime_11

Juniors
seriously dont know how our media team can better that - Epic is an understatement.

Never Give Up

Panfa

Juniors
Is laurie daley serious he obviously has an agenda with Gould because gould said daley was cooked as nsw origin coach.Coming from a club like canberra who had the likes of dugan ferguson carney and now whighton look at your own backyard before you fire shots at us.The raiders have had some of the biggest grubs in the game and the actions of 3 blokes shouldn't tarnish the entire team with the same brush.

Abacus

Juniors
Is laurie daley serious he obviously has an agenda with Gould because gould said daley was cooked as nsw origin coach.Coming from a club like canberra who had the likes of dugan ferguson carney and now whighton look at your own backyard before you fire shots at us.The raiders have had some of the biggest grubs in the game and the actions of 3 blokes shouldn't tarnish the entire team with the same brush.
He's still dirty on us for 1991.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Been a long time since I’ve even thought about league. Sounds like long overdue for the season to start.

Someone fill me in on the offseason.

Cheers
Cleary and Maloney are swapping sides defensively.
Hame Sele impressed during the preseason and has a spot in the 17 locked in.
As it stands Katao has got the nod over Egan.
Edwards is starting at fullback and Dall on the wing.
Ivan wants a 80 minute dummy half.
Ivan has introduced a lot more ball work in the preseason compared to Hook.
Kikau got injured during the trials and will be back for round 4.
Tyrone May stood down due to charges of distributing sexual videos without consent and filming without consent.
Sex tape of Liam Coleman and Tyrone Phillips released.
Accusations whoever is releasing sex tapes of Penrith players is a former player still with an NRL club.

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
The nrl.com site has predicted their Round 1 teams for all clubs.

Is Leota still out injured? As he is not listed in their team. Nor is there a second rower/centre cover like Cartwright or Fuimaono. I'm not sure Hetherington is up to playing 80 minutes yet on an edge, given he is used to playing interchange minutes.

Their predicted Panthers Round 1 team is:
  1. Dylan Edwards
  2. Josh Mansour
  3. Waqa Blake
  4. Dean Whare
  5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
  6. James Maloney
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. James Tamou
  9. Sione Katoa
  10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
  11. Jack Hetherington
  12. Isaah Yeo
  13. James Fisher-Harris
Interchange:
  1. Wayde Egan
  2. Tim Grant
  3. Kaide Ellis
  4. Hame Sele

unKwn

Juniors

Is Leota still out injured? As he is not listed in their team. Nor is there a second rower/centre cover like Cartwright or Fuimaono. I'm not sure Hetherington is up to playing 80 minutes yet on an edge, given he is used to playing interchange minutes.

1. Dylan Edwards
  2. Josh Mansour
  3. Waqa Blake
  4. Dean Whare
  6. James Maloney
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. James Tamou
  9. Sione Katoa
  11. Jack Hetherington
  12. Isaah Yeo
  13. James Fisher-Harris
Interchange:
  1. Wayde Egan
  2. Tim Grant
  3. Kaide Ellis
  4. Hame Sele
I wouldn't look into nrl.com's predicted lineup too much. they have Egan on the bench even though Ivan's stated he wants an 80 min hooker. I'm hearing leota will be fine for round 1

Matthew Ellis

Juniors

1. Dylan Edwards
  2. Josh Mansour
  3. Waqa Blake
  4. Dean Whare
  6. James Maloney
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. James Tamou
  9. Sione Katoa
  11. Jack Hetherington
  12. Isaah Yeo
  13. James Fisher-Harris
Interchange:
  1. Wayde Egan
  2. Tim Grant
  3. Kaide Ellis
  4. Hame Sele
Moses didn't play in the second trial because he got a minor injury in the first game so he was rested. He's playing round 1.

Crashtest

Juniors
I wouldn't look into nrl.com's predicted lineup too much. they have Egan on the bench even though Ivan's stated he wants an 80 min hooker. I'm hearing leota will be fine for round 1

That's good to hear about Leota.

Re Egan, I wonder with May now out, whether Cleary will rethink the 80 min hooker plan. If he selects four forwards on the bench, who can cover hooker if Katoa gets injured?

ACTPanthers

Bench
I’m always excited for round one, and optimistic about what the outcome will be, but, this year... I don’t know why, but with all the off field distractions I’m having a very pessimistic feeling we’re in for a long season. I sincerely hope I’m wrong, and please quote this post to ridicule me if I am, I just have a bad feeling about this year...

GongPanther

Referee
Can we replay Laurie Dailey's comments an hour before kickoff to fire up the boys?
See if he turns up Round 19 4:00 pm Sunday @ Penrith Park. Providing they can get Barbara Streisand through the gate. (he might have to pay through the nose to get in).

Latest posts