What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nigeria, one to watch

paulmac

Juniors
Lebanon isn't being classified as part of Africa, the event is called 'Middle East - Africa Cup' and it is the 'Middle East - Africa' regional authority under the RLEF they sit under.
MEARL.jpg

Anyway on the MEA Cup, this partnership is interesting: http://www.totalrl.com/ballympics-i...nagement-consultancy-partner-with-nigeria-rl/

Implies that the tournament will be a televised event, and they are actually being a bit ambitious which is very unlike RL for most of these regional championships.
My theory is that the RLIF were so desperate to get Lebanon to the 2017 RLWC that they lumped them in with Africa because they failed to qualify thru Europe in the 2 previous World Cups.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
All this good news about RL in Nigeria seems to have come out of nowhere. Here’s to more exciting news about all things Nigerian RL.

It shows that, with the right market and a bit of effort, its not too hard to get traction....

Full credit to the guys working on this, but it is also that they are entering a nation without an established middle-class so the people are willing to jump between sports more willingly.

flamin

Juniors
As is usual on the TRL forum they are speculating which heritage players from the NRL could be eligible for Nigeria but they are struggling to come up with any names barring Jason Okunbor, who I’ve never heard of, who announced the name of one of the Nigerian domestic teams.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ok...ts-to-play-alongside-him-20190327-p5182t.html

Okunbor wants to outgrow Idris comparisons - but still wants to play alongside him

By Christian Nicolussi

March 27, 2019 — 3.58pm

Jayden Okunbor knows all about the Jamal Idris comparisons, and even tried to reach out to the former Canterbury star about representing Nigeria at the East African Championships later this year.

Okunbor hopes to tackle the Tigers, become a regular in Pay's pack, then possibly help Nigeria in a tournament against Cameroon, Ghana and Morocco.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
amazing work being done by Ade Adebisi concerning all things Nigeria RL. Just held a live sky sports Facebook conference from the Nigerian embassy in London discussing both domestic and international Nigerian matters as well as showcasing the national Nigerian RL jersey.

All very exciting and encouraging stuff. We need more guys like adebisi and Perez working tirelessly in spreading the great game of RL throughout the world in new areas like Nigeria and Canada. Plus all the Latin heat guys and the guys involved with Jamaica etc. We also need to help and support them as much as possible in terms of finances and spreading the word through social media.

Last edited: