What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

hazzbeen

Bench
For all his deficiencies as a coach. You have to give him credit for holding his position for so long.
What other coach is able to use the same excuse two years in a row.
"our new halves pairing will take time to gel" Our Captain and goal kicker has to be found a new position to play. FFS, give me a break.
I expect that comment AGAIN on our first loss.
Yep I have said before the guy is a GENIUS ....

71saintsimon

Juniors
The further and somewhat hidden issue is that these youngsters don't rate "Mary" as a coach that can take them to the next level.
They are all looking at furthering their careers (which is totally understandable), improving their skills and learning from real mentors with the background and pedigree to develop future immortals (read Bellamy, Bennet, Green as examples).
The most glaring example is Aitkin.
One of McGregor's favourites, earmarked for greatness.
The kid came into first grade under McGregor, was hyped as a state of origin candidate and has been given loads of opportunities to show what he can do.
I dare say many more opportunities than some of the other developing stars.
If anything, Aitkin has regressed under our champion centre three quarter coach.
McGregor is doing Lomax no favours playing him on the wing either.
Lomax needs loads of game time at centre if he is to realize his true potential.
How is it possible that these guys seem to be going backwards?
So forget all the codswallop about the close relationship "Mary" has with his players.
Any player outside the inner sanctum will move sideways in a heartbeat if they can get a chance under a qualified and seasoned mentor.

We will never retain the best of our juniors with McGregor as coach.

Since I wrote this I have now read about the possible departure of Robson.
Adds weight to my whole argument and yet Brian Johnson is supporting an extension for this coach.
If we lose Robson just when he is ready for FG, we are a joke as a football club.
I totally agree with what you are saying and in Euan aiitkins case his failed to develop under McGregor infact if anything players seem to lose there skill under McGregor example Josh Dugan was never the shadow of the strike player he was at Canberra , under McGregor josh Dugan became slow and started being used as a battering ram

Great post Dennis every nail hit on the head.

The other point here is even if we re-sign Robson or Field or anyone else, its up to McGregor to play them. No play or restricted play would also lead to them requesting a release.
Robson has huge potential but atm its just potential. Its his choice to stay under our current structure or look to secure a fulltime gig at another club. Loyalty is now a forgotten dream for most NRL players.

It must also be remembered that we have Lovodua who is a hooker/utility and has played at international level. I feel his profile suits McGregors plan of McInnes as our main starting hooker and a back up who can play in a hooking role but also is big enough to handle it in the forwards.
I think young players will show more loyalty if they feel they are getting a fair go.
The best coaches rarely lose good prospects to poaching clubs if they want to keep them.
I just put my self in Robson's position. I would have zero confidence in our mentor.

possm

Coach
By all reports our leading try scorer for 2018 will be on the bench and our leading points scorer and captain has to be found a new position to play, to accommodate Norman?????
I can't figure it out, please explain!

It's obvious that the Club did not have enough confidence in Field to take over from Widdop this season or 2020 and beyond. The Eels wanted to get rid of Norman and because he is being subsidised by the Eels, he is a cheap purchase for this season.

Dufty had his problems last seaon and so Mary took the opportunity to play Widdop at fullback in 2019.

Lomax is by far the better option at right centre but Aitken is one of Mary's favourites.

Robson is definitely better value and a future star but McInnes is on of Mary's favourites.

possm

Coach
I totally agree with what you are saying and in Euan aiitkins case his failed to develop under McGregor infact if anything players seem to lose there skill under McGregor example Josh Dugan was never the shadow of the strike player he was at Canberra , under McGregor josh Dugan became slow and started being used as a battering ram

The first instructions from Mary to Lomax was words to the effect just keep it simple, run straight and hard and get to quick play the ball. Sounds like Aitken's style of play.

41yearsaint

Juniors
He is cheap and the eels did want to get rid of him. So why are we changing half our spine, with a bit of forward thinking we would have finished on top or second, last year.
Dufty is our top try scorer in his first year.
Lomax for right centre all day.
Robson for bench spot, not Dufty.

hewi

Bench
"Dragons officials are determined not to let the de Belin dramas unsettle their campaign and are trying to create stability at the club. To that end, negotiations to extend the tenure of off-contract coach Paul McGregor have begun. It’s hoped a new deal, likely to be for an additional two years, can be signed in coming weeks."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...r-de-belin-s-replacement-20190309-p512yc.html

Great idea, why wait and see if we can at last win the first few games of the season? I know there are at least 3 other clubs in the NRL plus numerous super league clubs chasing him. His record is second to none, after 5 1/2 years it’s plainly obvious he is the man to lead the fans to the promised land.

possm

Coach
"Dragons officials are determined not to let the de Belin dramas unsettle their campaign and are trying to create stability at the club. To that end, negotiations to extend the tenure of off-contract coach Paul McGregor have begun. It’s hoped a new deal, likely to be for an additional two years, can be signed in coming weeks."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...r-de-belin-s-replacement-20190309-p512yc.html

This says it all. Nothing about Mar's great record and achievements and all about a perception that Mary can do a better job keeping the team together, no facts or substance to this comment.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

How much bad news can a club take?
We seem to be getting hit from all directions, now from within.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
How much bad news can a club take?
We seem to getting hit from all directions, now from within.

The influence upon SGI by the 'old boys' club, and that includes our newly appointed CEO, will one day bring the club to its knees. These sort of decisions will have an adverse effect on SGI's success on and off the field.

If WIN started to bleed dollars they could easily off-load their shares or reduce their support in the way many leagues clubs have done in the past.

The old boys club needs to be cut loose and replaced with highly professional people who only have the interests of SGI at heart; that includes B Johnston our new CEO, Mary, Millward, Craig Young and many others.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
The influence upon SGI by the 'old boys' club, and that includes our newly appointed CEO, will one day bring the club to its knees. These sort of decisions will have an adverse effect on SGI's success on and off the field.

If WIN started to bleed dollars they could easily off-load their shares or reduce their support in the way many leagues clubs have done in the past.

The old boys club needs to be cut loose and replaced with highly professional people who only have the interests of SGI at heart; that includes B Johnston our new CEO, Mary, Millward, Craig Young and many others.
Your mostly correct, Millard however isn't part of the rat pack.. ...In my humble opinion.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Great idea, why wait and see if we can at last win the first few games of the season? I know there are at least 3 other clubs in the NRL plus numerous super league clubs chasing him. His record is second to none, after 5 1/2 years it’s plainly obvious he is the man to lead the fans to the promised land.
It's all a filthy festering backslaping pocket pissing old boys club.....