What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

Stallion

First Grade
I think the only way RL grows in France is if they have around 3-4 teams in the UK league structure which could hopefully see the elite1 and elite2 catch a bump from this. Especially from expansion areas like Marseille, Montpelier and Lyon etc.

AND then when established with decent supporter bases/ infrastructure support : Go it independently or participate in an expanded European league.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
AND then when established with decent supporter bases/ infrastructure support : Go it independently or participate in an expanded European league.
That would be light years away unfortunately at best. Maybe some sort of international super league conference with clubs from France, North America and London could run concurrently alongside a English conference??

Stallion

First Grade
That would be light years away unfortunately at best. Maybe some sort of international super league conference with clubs from France, North America and London could run concurrently alongside a English conference??

I've probably overestimated the growth of rugby league in Belgrade and other Balkan areas? But the possibilities may be there with the right intent and backing.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I've probably overestimated the growth of rugby league in Belgrade and other Balkan areas? But the possibilities may be there with the right intent and backing.
I think investment is the key and deal breaker for any potential Belgrade franchise entering the U.K. league structure.

adamkungl

Immortal
As absurd as it sounds, I'm not ruling Widnes out of the promotion battle.

They have to close a 6 win gap on 5th, not impossible but a pretty big ask for a team that has shed players just to stay alive.
I reckon they'd have to win 19 of their remaining 22 games to even have a sniff. "Mathematical chance" is going to come in very very early for them.
Then win through a very tough finals series 4 in a row unbeaten.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
And

How good woukd that be!
Widnes, Leigh and hull kr have all shown how huge the gap is between championship and super league.

Unless you have huge investment from a rich backer you’ll be nothing more than perennial strugglers and a yo-yo club.

adamkungl

Immortal
Don’t be surprised to see super league expand to 14 teams for 2020.

Yeah I kinda expect this if 1-2 more heartland clubs get punted by foreigners

Although the League is pretty skint on cash to fund extra teams and there's an expectation that the next TV deal could be tight. So maybe not

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Yeah I kinda expect this if 1-2 more heartland clubs get punted by foreigners

Although the League is pretty skint on cash to fund extra teams and there's an expectation that the next TV deal could be tight. So maybe not
Don’t quote me on this or anything but I think the inclusion of Toronto and the potential for other future North American teams in super league could make sky think again.

Plus maybe the likes of Toronto, Toulouse and Catalan could organize their own TV deals with French and Canadian sports channels leaving the 11 English clubs to share the sky money??

adamkungl

Immortal
Think they're gonna have to be adventurous with the next TV deal. Even if Sky come to the table with a 'fair' increase.. is fair good enough to allow Super League to step forward?

1 game weekly on free tv is something they should be shooting hard for.
A selection on cable and the rest all on an online streaming subscription platform.

They need to go bigger, not just think short term cash injection.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Think they're gonna have to be adventurous with the next TV deal. Even if Sky come to the table with a 'fair' increase.. is fair good enough to allow Super League to step forward?

1 game weekly on free tv is something they should be shooting hard for.
A selection on cable and the rest all on an online streaming subscription platform.

They need to go bigger, not just think short term cash injection.

Does SL have ANY on the BBC right now?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Don’t quote me on this or anything but I think the inclusion of Toronto and the potential for other future North American teams in super league could make sky think again.

Plus maybe the likes of Toronto, Toulouse and Catalan could organize their own TV deals with French and Canadian sports channels leaving the 11 English clubs to share the sky money??

I think it will be the TV money from the new markets that kicks SL to the new level (and without it, i dont see any boost coming)...

But if they CAN get that America/Continental Europe tv money (even if it all goes to the local teams) it would be huge for the SL (just think how much money the Warriors bring to the NRL, even though they are only one team and not the biggest sport in NZ).

I can already see it. SL buying up European RU players and even picking off some prime NRL players. It would even be good for the NRL to have some direct competition again...