What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

kbw

Bench
I would not place too much into the teams listed at the moment. Clubs have to get the list in by Tuesday afternoon and most will definitely change.
I have seen more than one player I know is still injured in the team lists

rightleftin

Juniors
Apparently Cabra had 14 drop back from ISP to RMC this week. The flow on has left Shield's bench with nearly as many as the crowd.

As far as I can see there are 6 Bulldogs in RMC and 1 in SS but there a few more that are nowhere. If you are a middle to lower RMC team it is great to get a stack of extras from an ISP club but a strong club like Cabra in 2019 has, in my view, players like Jack Morris, Malakai Houma, Josh Tangitau, Paul Simona and Jake Butler Fleming that are better than the players unwanted by the Bulldogs.

However, it will not matter as Wenty has gone in the opposite direction by rejecting Parramatta NRL players so most of the decent Wenty players are playing ISP this week.

imgunawin72

Juniors
As far as I can see there are 6 Bulldogs in RMC and 1 in SS but there a few more that are nowhere. If you are a middle to lower RMC team it is great to get a stack of extras from an ISP club but a strong club like Cabra in 2019 has, in my view, players like Jack Morris, Malakai Houma, Josh Tangitau, Paul Simona and Jake Butler Fleming that are better than the players unwanted by the Bulldogs.

However, it will not matter as Wenty has gone in the opposite direction by rejecting Parramatta NRL players so most of the decent Wenty players are playing ISP this week.
St Marys are in a similar position as cabra, in my opinion what happens at penrith seems to have too much effect at st Marys - particularly when they put overflow from Flegg into SS.

kbw

Bench
I guess some of those not picked for SS will end up playing A grade for cabra.

I think you will find most of the players training under the SS coach will be playing A grade this year not SS. The RM squad is large and then there are the Bulldogs players

imgunawin72

Juniors
I think you will find most of the players training under the SS coach will be playing A grade this year not SS. The RM squad is large and then there are the Bulldogs players
Seems pointless having that many training with SS if they knew how many rhey had to come back. Sounds like Chris Yates playing silly games.

kbw

Bench
Seems pointless having that many training with SS if they knew how many rhey had to come back. Sounds like Chris Yates playing silly games.

I think its more that Chris Yates is carrying a large RM squad. It probably is a bit disillusioning for young ones training under the other coach. But realistically most of them are not up to SS standard

imgunawin72

Juniors
I think its more that Chris Yates is carrying a large RM squad. It probably is a bit disillusioning for young ones training under the other coach. But realistically most of them are not up to SS standard
Yep if they’re not up to SS standard then why invite them to train with the SS squad..

My young fella is sitting out with around 14 -15 others this week apparently. See what happens Saturday.

That's the nature of the beast unfortunately. NRL drop to Canterbury Cup, Canterbury Cup to Ron Massey Cup. Ron Massey Cup to Sydney Shield, Sydney Shield to Local A-Grade

With NRL squads carrying more players we will see more players dropped to play CC therefore there will be a trickle on effect to the grades below.

Most Shield teams use 50+ players each season so I'm sure players will get a game at the level at some point during the year.

rightleftin

Juniors
Mounties were far too good for Hills tonight winning 34-10. Mounties continually charged through the line from the get go, scoring in the 5th minute and maintaining a quick pace throughout, and despite a few bombed chances, led 22-0 at half time. Whenever Hills did get the ball they were bashed into submission. Hills got more possession in the second half and showed a bit of initiative with the ball, with Nathan Masima scoring through a piece of individual brilliance and near the end of the game, when Mounties attempted to take Jonathan Mose into touch, Hills players came in to form a rugby mall and the ball was offloaded to Hills who raced 40 metres to score.

In the past Mounties has regularly fielded a number of players that have appeared in 1st grade, such that 6 appeared at least once during 2018 but the 2019 side has none as Farlow has concentrated on assembling a solid squad of 2nd tier players. They had a clear superiority over a Hills side with recent addition Daniel Harrison boosting their tally to 4 ex first graders. Hills has 3 players from the South Sydney ISP squad tonight - Lyndon Hills, Lucky Taavale and Dylan O'Connor.

rightleftin

Juniors
I would not place too much into the teams listed at the moment. Clubs have to get the list in by Tuesday afternoon and most will definitely change.
I have seen more than one player I know is still injured in the team lists

You are absolutely spot on - Asquith's starting 13 today had only 5 of those named on Tuesday, 4 Bears were inserted and another 4 Asquith players that were not named on Tuesday were inserted.

Wenty must have decided to allow another 5 players excluded from NRL this week to play in NSW Cup as 5 named in that side were in RMC today. Wenty won a very scrappy game against Cabra 22-12, who inserted Jack Morris, Jake Butler Fleming and Josh Tangitau.

Wests amended their side to remove the 2 props from their backline. The new look Wests side belted Blacktown Workers in the first half to lead 32-0 at half time but didn't do much after that, winning 38-6.

On the other end of the scale, the St Marys 17 were as listed on Tuesday. They beat Asquith 16-8. On paper, the Asquith side looked very strong.

imgunawin72

Juniors
St marys v Asquith SS score 12 all. Very scrappy game and was of overall poor standard from both teams.
It was probably there for St Marys to win but some strange interchange selections and players playing out position probably cost them. At one stage they had 2 wingers playing second row and a back rower playing hooker???? Very odd.

imgunawin72

Juniors
Lots rain over night in penriff, lets hope the drainage at hickeys park for the brothers v Guildford games is up to scratch and that nothing floats out of the adjoining sewerage treatment plant onto the field !!!

kbw

Bench
Yep if they’re not up to SS standard then why invite them to train with the SS squad..

Its a combined A Grade / SS squad, but essentially the Massey is combined RM /SS. and they need a couple to come up.
Its also just not the players not up to the standard

kbw

Bench
St marys v Asquith SS score 12 all. Very scrappy game and was of overall poor standard from both teams.
It was probably there for St Marys to win but some strange interchange selections and players playing out position probably cost them. At one stage they had 2 wingers playing second row and a back rower playing hooker???? Very odd.

I saw a bit of the first half and thought it was pretty decent for a round 1 game

Latest posts