What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 1 2019 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
OK, OK, I'm like clockwork, always on time.

I hope you all had a pleasant summer/off-season. I know a few of you follow the NZ Breakers in the NBL but they fell a bit short of expectations, didn't they? I'm having a blast with the Wellington Phoenix. I notice here in Oz, after their "ruthless" 8-2 demo of the Central Coast Mariners, all the talk was still about the Australian team. We can't get a break over here when it comes to both soccer and league.

Onto the footy, like Fridays, the new season always comes round again.

Storm v Broncos tonight. A bit of a yawn, no? At least it's not in Brisbane. No Billy, that's gonna take some time to get used to.

The Roosters are firm favourites to go back-to-back, the first time any club's done that in Sydney since the Broncos in 92/93. The Chooks have off-loaded a couple of rotters too, Ferguson and Napa, so that might make them more appealing to neutrals. The game tomorrow night, at the SCG v Souths, is highly watchable.

It's a bit strange seeing Dogs line-up without the Morris twins. They still have Foz firing at five-eight though!

The Sea Eagles have that Kane Elgey starting, and Dessie back. I'm sure Beaver will keep us up-to-date with all things Manly as the season progresses. They should beat the Tigers on paper, but then again, Maguire's no mug as a coach.

Charnze is starting at fullback for the Raiders, v the GC. But no sign of Ata. Has he bailed to the Northern Hemisphere already? Both those sides know how important winning this one is.

Uncle Ivan back at the Panthers, with Gus stalking the corridors. How much have Parra improved on last year? I'm expecting the Panthers to be on par with 2018, perhaps better coached, as you'd think.

Game of the round for us has to be Newcastle v Cronulla, for obvious reasons.

That about covers it. It's good to be back. Cheers all.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Welcome back mate

Have stayed up for kickoff tonight but won’t last the game, can’t think of 2 teams I’d rather watch less to start a season lol but always like to see the first hit up

Blair

Coach
Welcome back mate

Have stayed up for kickoff tonight but won’t last the game, can’t think of 2 teams I’d rather watch less to start a season lol but always like to see the first hit up

Storm off with a hiss and a roar, but I'm drowsy and bored. A 6am start in the morning doesn't help. Bring on the Knights v Sharks tomorrow, and I can be on the beer too.

Blair

Coach
Oh, and so much for my Billy Slater-free night. There he was at the start of the Nine coverage suited up with a microphone.

Zzzzzzz.

Last edited:

Big Marn

Juniors
Storm butchered at least 3 tries. should be up by 20+.
Felipe Kaufusi will be giving himself 2 or 3 upper cuts at halftime.
Broncos a chance if they can turn things around in the second half.

I feel in Knights vs Sharks a few penalties not called in the first half. Ruck getting slowed down with players getting tangled. 10m seems short.
And a half time score of 0 all. Dugan looks bigger but has butchered a try by not passing and cant catch a SJ pass, because it is passed behind him. Knight butchered 2 tries.

JJ

Immortal
Fortunate penalty try to the Sharks and they'll still lose - didn't see the whole game by Gavet made a few srong runs, and Johnson was Johnson lol - TBH Moylan is better/more direct that him... gritty win for Knights 14-8

Big Marn

Juniors
Fortunate penalty try to the Sharks and they'll still lose - didn't see the whole game by Gavet made a few srong runs, and Johnson was Johnson lol - TBH Moylan is better/more direct that him... gritty win for Knights 14-8
that was a diabolical decision by TMO. didnt take long did it?
his reasoning when he was explaining it was totally flawed because the ball shot off at right angles into the path of Dugan. No way Katoa would have got to it before Dugan.

As you said, Johnson was Johnson, particularly in the second half, shoveling it on or kicking away possession. Dont think he took the line on himself in the second half.

Big Marn

Juniors
Looking forward to the Roosters/Rabbitohs game. Should be high octane.

Hopefully take my mind off the tragedy in Christchurch today. Was happy to get out of Christchurch and get home safe.

Blair

Coach

Very early days but how long before Johnson starts sulking at the Sharkies? Mr Angry?

Blair

Coach

Hopefully take my mind off the tragedy in Christchurch today. Was happy to get out of Christchurch and get home safe.

Unbelievable violence in NZ.

All I could say when the mrs told me was, 'I need a beer'.

Tomorrow's Warriors v Bulldogs game will have an emotional pre-game. The Warriors represent NZ, of course, and the Bulldogs represent Australia's largest Muslim area.

It always become worrying the amount of airtime it gets for copy cats wanting their 15 minutes of fame.

New low for NZ Aussie relationship?
Grafton born and bred alleged shooter.

Blair

Coach
Bunnies look to have clinched it and become the first team with a new coach to win.

It's always good for the new season to see the defending premiers, and current season favourites, getting beaten. The SCG looked quite good as a venue, albeit old school. The Warriors play there too, so that's a game to go to.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Watched a replay of the Shsrks game. They really got the full SJ experience with that one.

Some dangerous runs (when the opposition forced him to).

A mixed bag of kicks from sublime to wtf?

A good pass followed by a horribly mistimed pass to stifle the attack.

Little engagement of the line and lots of slow motion shuffling the ball on.

Sharks fans blaming everything from gelling with teammates to the NZ tragedy distracting him, but SJ was just SJ tonight both the good and the bad.

Blair

Coach
Watched a replay of the Shsrks game. They really got the full SJ experience with that one.

Some dangerous runs (when the opposition forced him to).

A mixed bag of kicks from sublime to wtf?

A good pass followed by a horribly mistimed pass to stifle the attack.

Little engagement of the line and lots of slow motion shuffling the ball on.

Sharks fans blaming everything from gelling with teammates to the NZ tragedy distracting him, but SJ was just SJ tonight both the good and the bad.

Where SJ goes, expectation flows. I'm quite relieved he's gone.

Blair

Coach
Nice to hear Tof Sipley in first grade tonight for Manly v Tigers.

I hope two of our other ex-props, Vete and Pat Sipley don't disappear on us.

Latest posts