What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Melbourne Storm Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
NRL 2019 - Round 1
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos
AAMI Park, Melbourne (TICKETS)
Thursday 14 March 2019

Gates 6:50pm / NRL 7:50pm

TL-MEL20.png

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

Interchange
14. Brandon Smith
15. Christian Welch
16. Tui Kamikamica
17. Patrick Kaufusi

Reserves
18. Ryan Papenhuyzen
19. Tom Eisenhuth
20. Billy Walters
21. Marion Seve

TL-BRI19.png

1. Darius Boyd (c)
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Jack Bird
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Matt Gillett

Interchange
14. Kotoni Staggs
15. David Fifita
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Tevita Pangai Jr

Reserves
18. Shaun Fensom
19. Patrick Carrigan
20. Sean O'Sullivan
21. Gehamat Shibasaki​

Big Pete

Referee
I'm looking forward to watching Milford and Nikorima under Seibold's regime. Seibold made it clear that he wanted to Milford and Nikorima to play on the front foot as much as possible and take more ownership of the side. Against the Gold Coast Titans, Nikorima was able to make a big impact mid-way through the second half when he played flat and direct at the line, so if he can find his groove early it will go a long way.

The Broncos haven't had this big a pack since the days of Webcke, Civoniceiva, Thorn etc. Lodge, Ofahengaue, Pangai Jr, Flegler and Fifita are behemoths and they're all extremely talented. Brisbane have huge raps on Flegler and the way he goes about his football. There's no fear in him and while he's good for a penalty or two, he isn't the type of player who gets over-awed by the occassion. If there was one junior forward you could get to replace Payne Haas out of anyone coming through, it's him so the scouts have done well in that regard.

The one player I'm really curious to watch is Jack Bird. Bird is one of the most naturally gifted players in the game, but he's coming off a disasterous season and needs to hit the ground running if he wants to remain at Red Hill. I thought at the end of last year, Bird would be one of the most improved players in the competition in 2019, but his trial form didn't do a lot for me. I hope he was just feeling his way into the season because the Broncos need him to stand up physically and help get their sets rolling.

Brisbane will have their work cut out for them against this Melbourne machine. Bellamy has built a wonderful production line of talent and they've rarely skipped a beat under his reign. If the Broncos do manage to come out victorious, it'd do wonders for Seibold's reputation and the confidence in the Broncos.

Exciting times ahead and I can't wait until kick-off.

DeeJ

Bench
Interesting Pangai Jr is on the bench. Honestly, Glenn should consider himself lucky starting instead of him and Fifita.

I hate how we have to play Melbourne twice every year. Luckily it's the first game so I hope they are a bit rusty. Then again that would suit their defensive style.

Big Pete

Referee
Glenn earned his selection during the trials. It's up to him if he wants to remain in the starting side, but as long as he continues to out-perform Pangai and Fifita he deserves to keep his spot.

Bronco18

Juniors
Glenn is the only backrower who’s been running the right line off Nikorima.

I’d think TPJ makes the starting side later in the year, this is just easing back on the dodgy hamstring. In saying that, having that impact off the bench without Haas is
handy.

DeeJ

Bench
Glenn is the only backrower who’s been running the right line off Nikorima.

Is this something that happened in the trials? Because Kodi played on the right and Glenn on the left all last season. And from the first game it looks like nothing has changed.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Is this something that happened in the trials? Because Kodi played on the left and Glenn on the right all last season. And from the first game it looks like nothing has changed.

In the trials - particularly Titans game.

But yeah they were seperate sides :/

Nerd

Bench
Not what I was hoping for but we were crushed by the Melbourne machine again. Without a trial Milford looked desperately short of a run. Flegler looked good the short time he was on the field and I thought some of his defence was brutal. The kicking game from our halves was woeful and sending them to an AFL team to improve their kicking was obviously a waste of time. You would think it will take a few games before they gel with a new defensive and attacking strategy. Gillett looked a bit lost playing at lock and needs to work on having a few more carries with the ball but that should come as he improves his match fitness.

gUt

Coach
Pretty hard to single out anyone in a young side coming up against the best coached team in the league on their home ground. Some poor handling and bad reads in defense were costly plus losing Roberts really disrupted our right hand side. Overall not too bad a showing.

Bronco18

Juniors
Pretty hard to single out anyone in a young side coming up against the best coached team in the league on their home ground. Some poor handling and bad reads in defense were costly plus losing Roberts really disrupted our right hand side. Overall not too bad a showing.

Best coached can’t be overstated. The difference between how well drilled and disciplined the Storm pack and ours were is enormous. Attacking and running off Smith in numbers, supporting players all ready for an offload...

And in defence, similarly working together, getting numbers in tackles.

Frustrating as one-on-one, our talent in the pack should match or beat the Storm.. Hopefully our structures will click throughout the year. I think a lot of trouble the Broncos found themselves in were as a result of pushing the attack, which shouldn’t be an issue as the year goes on.

League guru

Juniors
Best coached can’t be overstated. The difference between how well drilled and disciplined the Storm pack and ours were is enormous. Attacking and running off Smith in numbers, supporting players all ready for an offload...

And in defence, similarly working together, getting numbers in tackles.

Frustrating as one-on-one, our talent in the pack should match or beat the Storm.. Hopefully our structures will click throughout the year. I think a lot of trouble the Broncos found themselves in were as a result of pushing the attack, which shouldn’t be an issue as the year goes on.[/QUOTE

Dale Finucane is the only member of the starting Storm pack who isn't an international, and you believe the Broncos pack is stronger. Can't work that one out. What I do know is that a lot of Broncos players are overrated in the eyes of their supporters.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought Melbourne were excellent and the Broncos were guilty of playing into their hands. At 10-0, Melbourne were effectively able to settle into their groove while Brisbane did little to try and disrupt it. Still, even on the back-foot the Broncos attack showed some good signs and the backs saw nearly twice as much ball than they did in previous seasons.

3. Corey Oates - 2 Tries, 18 Runs, 227m, 11 Tackle Breaks.
2. Tevita Pangai Jr - 49 Minutes 19 Runs, 156m, 2 Tackle-Breaks, 2 Offloads, 23 Tackles (4 Missed)
1. Matt Lodge - 61 Minutes 15 runs, 129m, 33 Tackles (4 Missed, 3 Ineffective), 1 Offload, 2 Penalties.

I didn't want to include Lodge, but struggling for other alternatives. Are we doing POTS this year, or nay?

ram raid

Bench
I think everyone is overrating the Bronks forwards. Yes they are young and strong and talented. The flipside of that is they are immature with a low football IQ. And I'm not sure that Milf is ever going to develop into a legit half. If they want to persist with this they should parter him with some steady had Trent Hodkinson type.

renouf

Juniors
Of course, young talented forwards but you need big game experience, why we let McGuire go is beyond me. And then we recruit a Fensom..

League guru

Juniors
Of course, young talented forwards but you need big game experience, why we let McGuire go is beyond me. And then we recruit a Fensom..

They let McGuire go to sign "potential". It seems these days that you don't have to put in the hard yards for a big pay day, you just need to have "potential".

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I thought Melbourne were excellent and the Broncos were guilty of playing into their hands. At 10-0, Melbourne were effectively able to settle into their groove while Brisbane did little to try and disrupt it. Still, even on the back-foot the Broncos attack showed some good signs and the backs saw nearly twice as much ball than they did in previous seasons.

3. Corey Oates - 2 Tries, 18 Runs, 227m, 11 Tackle Breaks.
2. Tevita Pangai Jr - 49 Minutes 19 Runs, 156m, 2 Tackle-Breaks, 2 Offloads, 23 Tackles (4 Missed)
1. Matt Lodge - 61 Minutes 15 runs, 129m, 33 Tackles (4 Missed, 3 Ineffective), 1 Offload, 2 Penalties.

I didn't want to include Lodge, but struggling for other alternatives. Are we doing POTS this year, or nay?

I find the forum is too quiet these days to get anything meaningful for POTS.

For what it is worth:

4 Oates
2 Lodge (BPs stats don't really back this up that well, but felt like he was in everything)

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Broncos third last in post contact metres for the round.

Last in average post contact metres per run. Here is how all teams stacked up:

Knights 3.1
Sharks 3.0
Roosters 3.0
Rabbitohs 2.9
Sea Eagles 2.8
Dragons 2.8
Warriors 2.7
Raiders 2.7
Eels 2.6
Panthers 2.6
Tigers 2.6