What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
Talking Sport just announced he has signed with us.

What’s he like ?

I like him. He's not the most skilful of hookers, but he has a proper dig and is very solid. Much better at hooker than Will Smith, which is the only real consideration IMO.

He's also pretty big for a hooker from memory, and he can play a bit in the forwards.

Honestly as long as he's a better option than Smith, we come out on top. And he is that

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol at not taking Smiths spot.

By about round 5, hopefully we will never see Smith as our back up hooker ever again.
He's not a backup, he's interchange.

Backups only play when there's an injury. Interchange players have a role to play whether there's an injury or not. Although he does cover mid-game injuries as well.

Basil Brush

Juniors
He's not a backup, he's interchange.

Backups only play when there's an injury. Interchange players have a role to play whether there's an injury or not. Although he does cover mid-game injuries as well.
Yet Smith played hooker with no injury on weekend.

And Salmon will replace Smith in that role.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yet Smith played hooker with no injury on weekend.
Because he wasn't a backup. He was always intended to give Mahoney a rest.
And Salmon will replace Smith in that role.
Salmon will replace Jennings. If he plays well it could be Takairangi who ends up on the bench the next week. Then he will be an interchange player too, not a backup.

Do you know how many teams didn't carry a dummy half on the bench this round?

emjaycee

Coach
Because he wasn't a backup. He was always intended to give Mahoney a rest.

Salmon will replace Jennings. If he plays well it could be Takairangi who ends up on the bench the next week. Then he will be an interchange player too, not a backup.

Do you know how many teams didn't carry a dummy half on the bench this round?
I don't.
How many?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't know either. A few. Brisbane and Souths at least.

The point is everyone's defence degrades under fatigue. Only the highest quality middle defenders are up to NRL standard for the whole 80 minutes. Others play 80 minutes but are so important in attack that they are carried by their team mates. Does that describe Reed Mahoney at the moment? I don't think so.

I agree with Hindy111, I don’t think he will take smiths 14 jersey. However if Mahoney is not available I think he will go straight into the 9 and Smith will stay in 14
Same. I think he's more likely to take Mahoney's starting position than he is to take Smith's spot.

For gods sake .... someone must know

It would be a lot easier if the NRL made teams name the positions that the interchange players were responsible for. Pretty crap of them really. And easier if they just added a column to the official ladder that showed how many times the team had carried a hooker on the bench.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Surely McMerkinwaitth is a better option on the bench than Dill Smith???

He can cover dummy half and slip into a middle forward role if need be. Smith can play a lot of positions equally poorly and is a liability in defence in all of them.

84 Baby

Referee

He can cover dummy half and slip into a middle forward role if need be. Smith can play a lot of positions equally poorly and is a liability in defence in all of them.
This. Smith doesn’t add anything coming on to play traditional hooker role. If that’s all he’s going to do, McMerkinrick is better at it

Happy MEel

First Grade

Agreed. He’s a far better middle defender than Smith and much better hooker. If we feel that we need to give Mahoney a spell, it makes far more sense to replace him with someone that is capable in that position.

hindy111

Post Whore
Taka and W.Smith in side give felxibiltiy.

If a forward goes down Taka can help the forward rotation by playing 20 mins in forwards while W.Smith slots into backline.
W.Smith can also fill 1,3,4,6,7,9
With both Taka and W.Smith in team we can cover every position in the side quite easily.What does this other guy cover ? Or is he only good to give Mahoney a rest.

Noise

Coach
Taka and W.Smith in side give felxibiltiy.

If a forward goes down Taka can help the forward rotation by playing 20 mins in forwards while W.Smith slots into backline.
W.Smith can also fill 1,3,4,6,7,9
With both Taka and W.Smith in team we can cover every position in the side quite easily.What does this other guy cover ? Or is he only good to give Mahoney a rest.

We have plenty of guys who can cover multiple positions in the backs, halves and forwards quite well - Taka, Salmon, Gutho and even Fergo can cover 1,2, 3, 4 and 5. No one (including Smith) covers 9 very well. Mcrillick does.

Latest posts