What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast-Ipswich Titans

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This is just a hypothetical if Ipswich lost their NRL bid. I was thinking that they could look at partnering with the Titans...

The Jets could act as a feeder for the Titans and Ipswich could get 2-4 NRL games per year (not to mention LC grants).-

It would establish the Titans as the SEQLD/non-brisbane team and it would establish an Ipswich team in the NRL that i just dont believe will happen independently.

Anyway, i wanna here from the Qld locals. I remember hearing about the "Ipswich-logan corridor", so why not Ipswich-Gold Coast. Could it work or is it a leap too far?

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
Not really answering your question, and I'm not a qld local, but I've always thought the Titans should put more focus on the NSW north coast.

The junior clubs are all in their system (or they used to be anyway), and most at least have a "soft-spot" for them.

The biggest turn-off was that they were technically a qld team (but then there was also a lot of qld sympathisers/bandwagoners on the north coast as well), but if they made an effort to be a "both sides of the border" team that could be fixed, and they could take a game to coffs, ballina or tweed, etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally the next Brisbane nrl team will be from that region with joint ownership between IPswich and Souths Logan.

South Brisbane somethings

Diesel

Coach
Ipswich to GC is a massive area and Logan is smack bang in the middle.
Hard to see many Ipswich locals travelling to the GC or vice versa. Even the train goes via Brisbane so you’re looking at a minimum of 1:45-2hours one way

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's way to late in the day for the Titans to become the GC-Ipswich or whatever Titans...

The NRL has doubled down on the GC, and if they pull out of the GC (even if its only half their games to other parts of SEQ) it'll be a PR nightmare for them and PR boon for the AFL.

Basically any changes to the GC are effectively out of the question so long as the Suns exist.

What the NRL should be doing on the GC (and should have done from the start) is try to do everything they can to get a stadium that is much more centralised in the GC region (in Surfers Paradise or South Port sort of area if at all possible) with much better public transport options, and support the Titans in the mother of all marketing and community engagement campaigns, literally give them an extra grant (with supervision) just for that marketing campaign if they have to.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
What the NRL should be doing on the GC (and should have done from the start) is try to do everything they can to get a stadium that is much more centralised in the GC region (in Surfers Paradise or South Port sort of area if at all possible) with much better public transport options
Unfortunately there isn’t much room around Surfers Paradise mainly because of the canal layout of it and the mass amounts of towering high rises makes it near impossible to put a large stadium there. Southport isn’t much better and it probably would never happen anyway because Robina was basically purpose built for the Titans. The only possible place you might get another Stadium is Helensvale which has the tram and train going out there but it wouldn’t be much better, distance wise, to Robina.

They key for the Titans is on-field success, marketing and social/community engagement. I was at an Australia Day event in Broadbeach recently and the Titans “representation” there was a few people handing out kids showbag type things and a pass the ball set up. I don’t think I saw any of the players around there which is a bit sad. They need to be in the community a bit more and make the name for themselves.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Unfortunately there isn’t much room around Surfers Paradise mainly because of the canal layout of it and the mass amounts of towering high rises makes it near impossible to put a large stadium there. Southport isn’t much better and it probably would never happen anyway because Robina was basically purpose built for the Titans. The only possible place you might get another Stadium is Helensvale which has the tram and train going out there but it wouldn’t be much better, distance wise, to Robina.

They key for the Titans is on-field success, marketing and social/community engagement. I was at an Australia Day event in Broadbeach recently and the Titans “representation” there was a few people handing out kids showbag type things and a pass the ball set up. I don’t think I saw any of the players around there which is a bit sad. They need to be in the community a bit more and make the name for themselves.

Sure, but whether or not it's actually achievable to build a stadium in those areas doesn't negate the fact that the NRL should still be putting pressure on local government and businesses to try and get a stadium built there or as close to there as possible.

I mean I don't believe that the taxpayer should be paying for infrastructure for private businesses at all, so really the NRL, Titans, and developers, etc, that they get involved should build it, but something tells me that even if they did have the means to do it themselves that they never would do it themselves and would still lobby the government to build it for them, I guess it just is what it is.

Realistically they wouldn't need to replace Robina, only build a smaller more centralised stadium that can be used for most games while Robina still hosts the big games, so they probably wouldn't need as much space as you'd think to build a reasonable stadium anyway.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yeah nah - the Gold Coast and Ipswich are two very different cities culturally and are about 100km apart. The idea of splitting games between two locations aims to please everyone and ends up pleasing no one.

Ditto other similar suggestions:
Logan - Ipswich
Ipswich-West Brisbane

These ideas show a lack of knowledge of SEQ.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah nah - the Gold Coast and Ipswich are two very different cities culturally and are about 100km apart. The idea of splitting games between two locations aims to please everyone and ends up pleasing no one.

Ditto other similar suggestions:
Logan - Ipswich
Ipswich-West Brisbane

These ideas show a lack of knowledge of SEQ.

I’m not saying it should be split but would a new Brisbane club co owned by Ipswich and Logan be a powerhouse from day one? Strong financial backing from two big leagues clubs and two of the best jnr pathways in the country feeding into it. Needs a generic name and playing out of Suncorp but representing south Brisbane region.

ash the bash

Juniors
I’m not saying it should be split but would a new Brisbane club co owned by Ipswich and Logan be a powerhouse from day one? Strong financial backing from two big leagues clubs and two of the best jnr pathways in the country feeding into it. Needs a generic name and playing out of Suncorp but representing south Brisbane region.

Hi PR, which two Leagues clubs are you referring to ? Ipswich Brothers ? or Jets Leagues club

mongoose

Coach
why would the Titans want to merge with Ipswich, they already have Burleigh and Tweed as feeder clubs, a perfectly good stadium. They have no use for Ipswich...

MugaB

Coach
South Queensland Titans sounds better to me, and yes they have heaps of junior clubs already feeding the club, all pretty good ones too, but i would rather they travel a bit more as being only gold coast at robina is not helping them, that and the onfield success, but hopefully time and experienced players should help that soon, at the moment robina is just robbing them in fees, travelling up north and south of them can broaden their support around logan, and tweed
till the NRL pull their finger out and add atleast 2 more SEQ teams

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Actually I like that one - thanks for clarifying. Co-ownership by two big QRL clubs but playing out of Suncorp as a new brand could work. Good idea!

greenBV4

Bench

I guess you could even take that further, if the clubs are willing to work together

Throw in Redcliffe to the mix and you'd have a fairly powerful and wealthy "syndicate" of leagues clubs to bankroll a single NRL club, call them Brisbane and play out of Suncorp and have a two-team set up similar to BBL clubs, a "glamour club" (Broncos) mostly catering for the inner city, an a "battlers" club of everyone else

You could even call them the Brisbane Syndicate

Quicksilver

Bench
No, the 14th version of the Gold Coast should work on it's own.

It was the last dream of the expansionists. The absolute must have team.

steeden.

Juniors
Maybe it’s my memory but I’m sure the Jets were a feeder club back in the early days of the Titans. But still, a GC-Ipswich name is crazy. Way too far apart to work.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Gold Coast Titans heading down a slippery slope with talk of playing away games in Brisbane....

What a disappointment they have been.. they should have bought in the Central Coast Bears instead in 2007...

They have a modern state of the art stadium, mostly mild weather all season round and still can’t draw a crowd..

greenBV4

Bench
Gold Coast Titans heading down a slippery slope with talk of playing away games in Brisbane....

What a disappointment they have been.. they should have bought in the Central Coast Bears instead in 2007...

They have a modern state of the art stadium, mostly mild weather all season round and still can’t draw a crowd..
Once they get some sustained sucess that'll change, they already consistantly draw better crowds than some other clubs anyway, and despite being in last place robina stadium isnt even the worst attended regular venue so far this season.

Moving them an hour north wont fix any problems, itll just leave the gc without a league team again, give the suns a leg up, and fill a spot that a genuine 2nd Brisbane side should be taking instead.

Although the titans-bashing in the media, social media and on here has some merits, they're nowhere near as bad as some exagerations suggest

BuffaloRules

Coach
Once they get some sustained sucess that'll change, they already consistantly draw better crowds than some other clubs anyway, and despite being in last place robina stadium isnt even the worst attended regular venue so far this season.

Moving them an hour north wont fix any problems, itll just leave the gc without a league team again, give the suns a leg up, and fill a spot that a genuine 2nd Brisbane side should be taking instead.

Although the titans-bashing in the media, social media and on here has some merits, they're nowhere near as bad as some exagerations suggest

Which clubs are they outdrawing?

Latest posts