What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyson Frizell injury update

Crush

Coach
Crush
Frizz needs his extension too.
If you now what I mean.
Frizzy is super tough but sometimes it takes a while for things to heal fully
Yeah I know Samy, I was just joking. McGregor doesn't like resting injured players if it will cost him.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Huge loss... but he will tear it up on his return!

I heard Kerr is likely to replace (SMH), with Lawrie moving to the #13... any truth in th8s?

possm

Coach
Frizzy has had surgery to his testicles. Will be out for at least 6 weeks maximum 12. He had a tear in the sack. Poor bloke. Wish you all the best. Time for all the other forwards to lift imo
In my playing days, most players wore a box for protection. Our coach would not let us play unless we wore a box.

My two boys, one now 26 and the other 11 both wear a box when playing football or cricket but it is not so popular thesed days. I believe it should be mandatory for all boys/men to wear a box when playing competition rugby league.

possm

Coach
Huge loss... but he will tear it up on his return!

I heard Kerr is likely to replace (SMH), with Lawrie moving to the #13... any truth in th8s?

If Robson isn't given a run you can bet he won't be at the Dragons in 2020.

JDHD

Juniors
I would start with Lawrie at lock and bring in Timm. I would also be carrying an extra forward on the bench instead of Dufty, that forward would be Kerr. When K Sims is available, whoever out of Timm or Kerr would keep their spot until Friz is available again. If Timm and Kerr performed better than Lawrie, they could push Lawrie out. I would still be starting with Lucky over Host

13 Lawrie
12 T Sims
11 Lucky
10 Graham
9 McInness
8 Vaughan

14 Host
15 Kerr
16 Timm
17 Latimore/Robson

I wouldn’t start Luciano only because I think he adds a real spark in attack around more tired forwards, whereas Host can be a blunt instrument to take the sting out of the wicket, as it were, but I’d certainly be putting Luch on much sooner than he was against the cowboys

Owwwweeeeeee....

Read the Barry Beath story. I've also heard to Matt Johns tell the story of one of his team-mates at the Knights having a similar nasty injury... Basically this...

Defending on their goal-line against the Gold Coast - Prop Forward Keith Gee plowed into the Knight - who still made the tackle. But he was down for the count while the Knights were still defending...

Amid calls from his teammates to "get up, get up", the brave Knight dragged himself to his feet... making another tackle soon after... then after they'd repelled the Gold Coast, the fallen Knight ever-so-gingerly walked toward the sideline - without the power of speech..

The Knights went in at half-time and a few asked "what's happened to XXXXXX??".... and the club doctor replied...

"His testicle disintegrated".

Disintegrated.

Now for the life of me I can't remember the name of the Knight in the story. Anyone know here?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I wouldn’t start Luciano only because I think he adds a real spark in attack around more tired forwards, whereas Host can be a blunt instrument to take the sting out of the wicket, as it were, but I’d certainly be putting Luch on much sooner than he was against the cowboys
Lucky starting at lock could be worth a try.

getsmarty

Immortal
'Pain wasn't going away': Dragons NRL star Frizell underestimated testicle knock

Tyson Frizell will give himself two weeks on the sideline before he attempts to make his NRL return for St George Illawarra from a ruptured testicle.

Frizell was back around his Dragons teammates at training on Wednesday, after staying in Townsville to have immediate surgery on the injury following Saturday's loss to North Queensland.

The NSW State of Origin back-rower will miss Thursday's clash with South Sydney as well as next week's trip to Brisbane, but is a chance of returning in round four against Newcastle depending on the advice of doctors and how he heals.

Frizell said at the time of the hit - which came in a collision with Jordan Kahu's knee - he was not overly concerned about the accidental low blow, before the pain didn't subside.

"As any other bloke you get hit there and there is initial pain but after a while it goes away," Frizell told the Dragons' website.

"That pain wasn't going away for a while and then I played a bit on during the game with the injury. I obviously came off after that and it all hit home as soon as I got in the sheds.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F04%2F05%2F12%2F30%2FTysonFrizell_0504a_env.jpg

Frizell has undergone surgery for the ruptured testicle. (AAP Image/David Moir)
"I've got a couple of days off now doing nothing and just recovering. I think I will give my body at least two weeks of very minimal movement around.

"And then from that two week period we'll see how it goes after that."

The injury came at a tricky time for the Dragons, given Frizell was only playing in the middle at lock because of Jack de Belin's ban.

Another possible lock option in Korbin Sims but he is still suspended until round three, after copping a two-game ban for a dangerous tackle when playing for Brisbane against the Dragons last year.

Blake Lawrie will start at lock against the Rabbitohs, with Josh Kerr to come onto the bench after playing representative football for the Indigenous All-Stars last month.

"It's always a young man's dream to be able to play at home on their debut," McGregor said of Kerr.

"He's a big body with a really nice carry, so we've got a handy replacement."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/frizel...le-knock/d3680921-1b2b-4257-92aa-ffe4940fc102

getsmarty

Immortal
Tyson Frizell remains in the frame for a St George Illawarra return against Newcastle
Dragons Den
r0_161_5568_3304_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Possible return: Tyson Frizell. Picture: NRL Photos.

St George Illawarra remain optimistic Tyson Frizell will make his return from injury in the Dragons clash with Newcastle on Sunday night.

Initially expected to miss four to six weeks after undergoing surgery for a lacerated testicle suffered in St George Illawarra's round one loss to the Cowboys, Frizell has recovered faster than expected and was named in the Dragons 21-man squad for this weekend.

Teammate Korbin Sims said the squad is looking forward to welcoming their star forward back.

"Tyson trained with the squad on Tuesday," Sims said at a promotional event for Johnny Bigg Shellharbour. "He ran pretty well, we asked him how he felt and he said he felt alright. He'll get the final say on his own fitness.

"The injury is not one you want to fool around with, he's going to be the judge of his own fitness. If he feels good and capable of being able to play a game, we could see him. Hopefully we'll be able to get him back soon."

After making his club debut last weekend, Sims has been named on the bench for the second-straight week. While it's a role he enjoys, Sims is hoping to force his way into the starting team in the coming weeks.

Such a move would allow Frizell to return to the right edge after he shifted to the middle to cover for the indefinite suspension of Jack de Belin.

"At the moment I do enjoy the bench role, I'll do whatever it takes for the team, and the coach knows that, but I'd love to be back starting. If we're winning games with me on the bench, we're not going to change that formula that's working.

"We'll find out in the next couple of weeks, I hope to force my way into the starting side, but at the moment, I'm happy to play the role off the bench.

"The coach knows I want to be a starting player, but you can't get everything your own way. Now it's just biding my time, I'm more than happy to play from the bench. If we're winning games, it's working, and I'm happy to do that for the team."

Read more: Dragons positive Widdop will return in 2019

A Frizell return would provide the Dragons a major boost as they look to build on last week's first win of the season when they face the Knights on Sunday night.

Sims played a major role in that victory, making an impact off the bench and crossing for a crucial try in his first game of the season.

"The win was the most important thing, but I'm not going to complain about scoring a try in my first game. I know there's plenty more work I can do, if I score a couple of extra tries here and there, I'll be pretty happy.

"I think I had some good moments there, it was my first game of the year, so I'm not getting carried away, there's definitely room for improvement. On the other side, I'm quite pleased with the way I took the game on and I'm looking forward to working on the parts of my game I didn't do well."

In a strange twist of fate, Sims will play a former team for the second-straight week and he's looking forward to returning to Newcastle for what should be a close encounter.

"There's a lot of history, a lot of pride at Newcastle. It's a great place, a team on the rise, they've got a lot of good players in their system. From a Dragons point of view, we're looking to build on last week. If we can keep building, little things each week, we'll narrow down the areas we didn't do so well."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...edging-closer-towards-dragons-return/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Tyson Frizell remains in the frame for a St George Illawarra return against Newcastle
Dragons Den
r0_161_5568_3304_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Possible return: Tyson Frizell. Picture: NRL Photos.

St George Illawarra remain optimistic Tyson Frizell will make his return from injury in the Dragons clash with Newcastle on Sunday night.

Initially expected to miss four to six weeks after undergoing surgery for a lacerated testicle suffered in St George Illawarra's round one loss to the Cowboys, Frizell has recovered faster than expected and was named in the Dragons 21-man squad for this weekend.

Teammate Korbin Sims said the squad is looking forward to welcoming their star forward back.

"Tyson trained with the squad on Tuesday," Sims said at a promotional event for Johnny Bigg Shellharbour. "He ran pretty well, we asked him how he felt and he said he felt alright. He'll get the final say on his own fitness.

"The injury is not one you want to fool around with, he's going to be the judge of his own fitness. If he feels good and capable of being able to play a game, we could see him. Hopefully we'll be able to get him back soon."

After making his club debut last weekend, Sims has been named on the bench for the second-straight week. While it's a role he enjoys, Sims is hoping to force his way into the starting team in the coming weeks.

Such a move would allow Frizell to return to the right edge after he shifted to the middle to cover for the indefinite suspension of Jack de Belin.

"At the moment I do enjoy the bench role, I'll do whatever it takes for the team, and the coach knows that, but I'd love to be back starting. If we're winning games with me on the bench, we're not going to change that formula that's working.

"We'll find out in the next couple of weeks, I hope to force my way into the starting side, but at the moment, I'm happy to play the role off the bench.

"The coach knows I want to be a starting player, but you can't get everything your own way. Now it's just biding my time, I'm more than happy to play from the bench. If we're winning games, it's working, and I'm happy to do that for the team."

Read more: Dragons positive Widdop will return in 2019

A Frizell return would provide the Dragons a major boost as they look to build on last week's first win of the season when they face the Knights on Sunday night.

Sims played a major role in that victory, making an impact off the bench and crossing for a crucial try in his first game of the season.

"The win was the most important thing, but I'm not going to complain about scoring a try in my first game. I know there's plenty more work I can do, if I score a couple of extra tries here and there, I'll be pretty happy.

"I think I had some good moments there, it was my first game of the year, so I'm not getting carried away, there's definitely room for improvement. On the other side, I'm quite pleased with the way I took the game on and I'm looking forward to working on the parts of my game I didn't do well."

In a strange twist of fate, Sims will play a former team for the second-straight week and he's looking forward to returning to Newcastle for what should be a close encounter.

"There's a lot of history, a lot of pride at Newcastle. It's a great place, a team on the rise, they've got a lot of good players in their system. From a Dragons point of view, we're looking to build on last week. If we can keep building, little things each week, we'll narrow down the areas we didn't do so well."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...edging-closer-towards-dragons-return/?cs=3713

It would not surprise me if Frizell played against Newcastle. Mary will bring back his players as soon as possible.

Latest posts