What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General #crisis thread - league in the media

Perth Red

Post Whore
The best way to put out a fire is to starve it of oxygen, not poor petrol on it. Can nrl players please be taught this?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Rugby League always being bashed by the media. When I was growing up it was violence onfield, then drinking now treatment of women.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I didnt watch the program because, 1. there was something better on TV 2. Having seen the ads for it got me thinking how this could be another anti NRL story and biased towards AFL.

Also the ads kept changing the story, one bit was saying Footy crisis, the next bit was saying NRL crisis.

insert.pause

First Grade
I didnt watch the program because, 1. there was something better on TV 2. Having seen the ads for it got me thinking how this could be another anti NRL story and biased towards AFL.

Also the ads kept changing the story, one bit was saying Footy crisis, the next bit was saying NRL crisis.
It was all garbage with no new revelations & the women interviewed came out of it looking terribly.

Starkers

Bench
interesting times for union ... cut the japan team (sun-wolves, in the year of japan's world cup no less) ... hot on the heels of relegating the pacific nations to 2nd tier internationals ... in france they are trialing one man tackles below the waist (wtf?) ... and people urging the crusaders to change their name after the christchurch massacre (bit kneejerk) ... it occurred to me no central person actually has control over any of that.

reckon if any of this happened in the NRL it would be crisis battle stations, let alone all four over the course of the past week or so.

meanwhile, our mob looking to expand. nice for a change. wonder how long it lasts lol.

Stallion

First Grade

And notice the hijacking of the term "footy".! Footy where and when I was growing up was rugby-league. Conveniently media companies like FOX have no issues with labeling a whole channel as FOX Footy designed for AFL. And to.make it worse instead of FOX RUGBY LEAGUE it's FOX League. Can't wait to see what FOX call the rugby union channel ? Guarantee it wont be FOX UNION!

taipan

Referee
I'm waiting for Jessica Halloran ,to now write a column about brawling AFL fans.With the usual anti rugby league headline" HOW MANYY HITS CAN THIS GAME TAKE."
C'mon Hoops get your missus working on the keyboard.

gUt

Coach
http://the81stminute.com/2019/03/to...ill-it-quicker-as-ratings-continue-to-spiral/

Today Show’s AFL crapfest will only kill it quicker as ratings continue to spiral

BY SCOTT DILLON

What is going on at The Today Show? You’d swear they were the official broadcaster of the AFL if their recent antics are anything to go by.

Ratings have been in free fall and they’re getting bashed daily by Sunrise over on Channel Seven.

Just the other day they were beaten by the ABC morning show which is no small accomplishment.

On Friday morning, The Today Show’s sports reporter Tony Jones (Victorian), seemingly oblivious to the major portion of his audience at home, waxed lyrical about the Collingwood versus Richmond Aussie Rules game. Apparently he and news reporter Tom Steinfort (Victorian) had a bet and with Steinfort’s side losing, he had to sing the other mob’s team song.

Live on air. Look out!

The rest of the Today Show team cheered and clapped at this momentous Australian television occasion.

Okay, okay, it might be cringe worthy to people in the northern states but who really cares, right?

It’s not the end of the world – just don’t shove it down our throats.

Even more disturbing was the fact that Jones at one point failed to even report the amazing game of rugby league played at Suncorp Stadium last night between Brisbane and St George Illawarra. Wasn’t even good enough to show a two second clip. Official broadcaster of the NRL – Channel Nine.

And it isn’t the first time this has happened – they have form.

Last week, on the opening night of the AFL season in Melbourne, a huge brawl erupted in the crowd with someone recording it on their phone.

Jones, speaking about it the next morning, somehow dragged rugby league into it labeling it a problem for both the AFL and NRL.

Last time we checked, dust ups at the NRL are very rare. Some recent fights at the AFL have been hard to watch including one fan stomping the head of another in a street after the match.

Let’s not even start on the racism.

The fact is The Today Show is getting destroyed in the ratings.

They won’t get any better if people in NSW and QLD, or NRL fans anywhere, have to keep waking up to AFL sleeper cells ruining their breakfast.

Stallion

First Grade
Absolutely stunned at the disrespect channel ten are showing rugby league in its 5pm News bulletin. At the end of the news they informed of a new Hockey competition commencing in the spring. Sandra Sully commented :" That's great! Just after the AFL finishes and before the cricket starts!" Given it's a Sydney based news bulletin I find this very disturbing and innapropriate. Surely rugby league hasn't stooped to non recognition by such Sydney media types? Think channel ten are officially linked with News Ltd as well.!

Last edited: