What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Eelectrica

Referee
I agree, scrap the quota system and bring back apartheid.
I'd like to think their selectors would be trying to pick the best players whether they be Black, white, red or green with purple polka dots.

I suppose the problems come when they have a 50/50 choice and they pick the green guy of the red guy. Then they get accused of racism if they don't have a quota system.

With the enforced quota system they're going to lose players it seems.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Partly, yeah. But also, they have guys who are blocked out of the national side by the quota

It's partly a pathway thing for sure, moreso than the race issue some try and paint the quota as. Duanne Olivier might be more on the money side, given he's probably not getting in over Rabada or Ngidi on ability, but others aren't.

How many blokes do you reckon watch Temba Bavuma play like a spaz and know they won't get in over him because of the quota? So they have to sit there, cop shit pay, and still not get a chance to play for their country because Cricket SA have to meet a quota.

No wonder they leave.

I read something that said there are 40 Kolpak players from South Africa in England. They outnumber genuinely poor cricketing nations hugely, so money can't be the only issue.
If Olivier is only on 50 000 pounds and he's a star then money is the issue.

Same went for Abbott.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd like to think their selectors would be trying to pick the best players whether they be Black, white, red or green with purple polka dots.

I suppose the problems come when they have a 50/50 choice and they pick the green guy of the red guy. Then they get accused of racism if they don't have a quota system.

With the enforced quota system they're going to lose players it seems.

Exactly. People think the quota is a race issue. I don't see it that way so much as a practical issue. If you're a fringe player, you're basically hamstrung by being automatically behind a quota pick.

It's an outdated concept now too. It's not like Cricket SA is the white dominated tool of apartheid it used to be. They are producing and nurturing some very good cricketers across the spectrum, and acknowledging and championing guys like Rabada and Ngidi as the future of SA cricket.

FTR 42/61 Kolpak players since the first have been from South Africa. Obviously you can essentially disregard the Neil MacKenzies and Morkels and such who were at the end of their careers, but that's still a massive number. Hell Faf du Plessis was a Kolpak player from 2007-2010, as a promising young bloke on the edge of national selection.

That speaks to more than money. And it's not just the quota system either. You see some of the stuff floating around about why ADBV allegedly walked away and it points to deep political issues within the organisation.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't think Cricket Australia has released the fixture for next season but it appears that the first test against NZ will be here in Perth at Optus Stadium.

What? That strikes me as odd - I’d have assumed the three agains the Kiwis would be Adelaide (D/N), followed by Sydney and Melbourne.

Unless they’re going to un-f**k next season and add a surprise fourth test to the Kiwi series so we can go back to six tests like our true lord and saviour Richie would have wanted?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Afghanistan play Ireland in a one off test at Afghanistan's 'home' in India starting today.

One of them could notch up their first win.

Bazal

Post Whore
In subcontinent conditions you'd have to think the Afghans will be too good for Ireland. Especially the spinners

TheParraboy

Staff member

Timbo

Staff member
Eh, the numbers thing doesn't bother me so much. Might be of some help to fans at the ground whose eyesight isn't the best.

As for Big Dwayne - I was watching that live on TV and I don't think I've ever cheered louder for a wicket.

Bazal

Post Whore
Interesting that high above they are considering it

FFS tinker with colour and numbers and dancing girls all you like in the shorter forms of the game, but leave pure white for tests, though noticed some sides have a stripe down their kit eg kiwis and SA

Like I said, I literally could not care less either way.

But I did find it interesting that in a cricket group I am part of that has some journalists involved (just cricinfo/online types), one or two of the journos were saying that it can be hard to tell who is who from the press box at times. Maybe that's where it's come from

jargan83

Coach
Did not realise the IPL was on Fox Sports this year. Warner and Bairstow at the top of the order, this could be a big score.