What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership this year ....

OK because you went to so much effort to prove your point and well done we will agree to disagree there. Mary was a successful bush footy coach with plenty of premierships ;)
And he has better record than Barrett, Potter & Pay
Dont worry if Mary does not survive this year Trent Barrett will take over

But you asked for it....I will tease you with a few more I had in mind
David Furner spent only 1 or 2 years under Neil Henry if that
John Morris
Terry Lamb
Meninga?
Peter Sharp or Hasler?
I enjoy the debate for sure.
I still think you can't put Potter into your argument - way more experience than McGregor with runs on the board in the UK in particular.
I really don't have time to go through the others but are you seriously counting 3 bush footy premierships as credentials to coach first grade?
If you ask me, he coaches FG the same way. Bash and barge power game and if the forwards dominate, then there is a good chance of winning.
But that goes for any team.
On the other hand, you can't seriously compare McGregor to Hasler and Meninga can you??
Trying to be objective I think Paul has been given a gilt edged opportunity and plenty of latitude and support by the club.
We have to stop hoping something different is going to happen with him as coach.
He gets outcoached nearly every game he contests.
It happened again against the Cowboys.
Green changed tactics during the game and we could not counter.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
I still think you can't put Potter into your argument - way more experience than McGregor with runs on the board in the UK in particular.
I really don't have time to go through the others but are you seriously counting 3 bush footy premierships as credentials to coach first grade?
If you ask me, he coaches FG the same way. Bash and barge power game and if the forwards dominate, then there is a good chance of winning.
On the other hand, you can't seriously compare McGregor to Hasler and Meninga can you??
Trying to be objective I think Paul has been given a gilt edged opportunity and plenty of latitude and support by the club.
We have to stop hoping something different is going to happen with him as coach.
What would happen if they lose 5 , 6 in a row , will they wait before signing him to a new contract ? Maybe that's our only hope of no contract for this pretender that thinks he can coach ... I will be honest I was never a fan of Mary being a coach never mind 7 years of the same sh*t ......

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I've got a terrible feeling that the board has or is ready to renew him and is just waiting for a winning run to announce it. I hope i'm wrong on this but the fact is who is out there of quality? The best case scenario is to sack Mary mid season ( AND Hornby & Young ) and appoint Demetrio as caretaker .Demetrio gets them to the semis and shows us he has the qualities of a good NRL coach and gets a 2 year contract ?

If Demetriou had “the goods”, he would’ve been considered for the Brisbane gig.

He wasn’t.

blacksafake

First Grade
Good response and yes maybe there are clubs out there that do, occasionally appoint head coaches with iffy credentials however if you take a closer look you will see that McGregor's appointment still trumps all of your examples.
1. Mick Potter - I don't think he is a good example BTW. He was Head coach at 3 Super League clubs including taking St. Helens to the Challenge Cup final.
Returned to Australia and was appointed Head Coach at West Tigers in 2013 and sacked at the end of 2014 season.
2. Dean Pay - coached under 20's in the Melbourne system under Bellamy - He is already streets ahead of McGregor right there.
Assistant to Kevin Walters at the Catalan Dragons and Assistant to Ricky Stuart at Parramatta.
Successfully coached the NSW under 20's 3 years in a row and finally appointed to the top job replacing Hasler at the Dogs last year.
3. Trent Barrett - coached City Country (I know, so what) was assistant coach to Ivan Cleary at Penrith and was one of the assistant coaches to the NSW Blues side before landing the Manly job.
Parted company with Manly after 3 seasons in 2018. Manly would have been much better off sticking with Toovey.
4. Paul Langmack - very short coaching career soon after retiring as a player - was tossed the keys at Souths as a caretaker when Coleman was sacked and was also sacked mid season the following year. Definitely a stop gap solution during a period of turmoil for the club at the time.

Compare to Paul McGregor
*His role at the club as an assistant coach was always as a strength and conditioning coach.
Where did McGregor get his experience from? Who were his mentors?
Bennett would have been a great mentor but the great man dumped McGregor as soon as he arrived.
After Bennett departed he had 2 years of coaching reserve grade.
He was assistant to Steve Price for half a season before being appointed caretaker in 2014.
He was then given a 3 year contract until 2017 and extended for another 2 years in June of that year.
With the exception of Langmack, it could be argued that all of the above had better credentials than McGregor.
McGregor has also had a better roster to work with than all the examples you provide.
One final and most relevant point, the clubs that appointed Barrett, Potter, Langmack did not wait around to see if things would improve.
They fired these guys and moved on. Something we seem incapable of doing.
Pay is still in his second year but I suggest that Canterbury won't wait 5 years to change coaches if things don't improve dramatically.
Excellent post Dennis;)

Especially your comment below.

"McGregor has also had a better roster to work with than all the examples you provide.
One final and most relevant point, the clubs that appointed Barrett, Potter, Langmack did not wait around to see if things would improve.
They fired these guys and moved on. Something we seem incapable of doing.
Pay is still in his second year but I suggest that Canterbury won't wait 5 years to change coaches if things don't improve dramatically."

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

I agree with your post mate...except for the part where you're comparing Meninga to Hasler...Even Blind Freddy could have coached that QLD team to a series win.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Remember we need to be careful for what we wish for. I remember when this forum called for Brown’s head and some people celebrated Price’s appointment and it was also seen as great when Price went, but then we ended up with Mary. There is no point talking about another coach because Mary’s contract will be extended. The excuse provided by JBD’s absence and the fact that we have, in reality, had our salary cap slashed, added to Tyson’s injury will cover any early run of losses. Long enough to last until his contract is renewed.

Redolent of Bennett’s recommendation towards Steve Price a number of years ago now. Remind me, how did that go again?
Are you seriously comparing Steve Price to Jason Demetriou?
Bennett's recommendation aside, the Broncs management still had him on their short list.
The statement was that JD was not considered for the Brisbane job.
That is a fallacy.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Are you seriously comparing Steve Price to Jason Demetriou?
Bennett's recommendation aside, the Broncs management still had him on their short list.
The statement was that JD was not considered for the Brisbane job.
That is a fallacy.

Several media outlets reported Demetrou was never considered for the role.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The following source clearly indicates Demetriou was never considered to be Brisbane’s coach. Anything else is a fallacy.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5799225/demetriou-shown-door-by-broncos/?cs=7485
Illawarra Mercury - is that your blue ribbon media source...seriously?
Given the outcry that followed Demetriou's departure and the appointment of McGregor, this rag will always try and dilute JD's suitability.
You are talking about a newspaper that is in the back pocket of the BOD spin doctors.
I can assure you Demetriou was definitely in the final 3 candidates and why wouldn't he be?
He was the incumbent assistant coach at Brisbane.
You can hardly call him a rookie coach given his CV.
Proving his worth again at Souths right now.
I think the debate about Jason Demetriou coaching us is now done and dusted.
The opportunity to install him was at the time McGregor was appointed full time.
It's probably too late now and the type of coach needed to mop up McGregor's mess is a different animal.
The Board had already made a factional deal to insert McGregor and given Demetriou's success with the Cutters, it just embarrassed everyone concerned and showed up the McGregor appointment for what it was - nepotism.
Just for the record champ seeing you don't like the term "Fallacy".
https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/5721021/demetriou-can-do-broncos-nrl-job-sattler/
Courier Mail - "Demetriou became the third candidateto to be formally interviewed for ... Origin mentor Kevin Walters as the final man to state his case for the job."
Sorry I couldn't send you the article but is asking for a subscription.
And there a plenty of other media outlets that confirm what I say.
So who would you rather believe Illawarra Mercury or the Courier Mail in Brisbane?

Remember we need to be careful for what we wish for. I remember when this forum called for Brown’s head and some people celebrated Price’s appointment and it was also seen as great when Price went, but then we ended up with Mary. There is no point talking about another coach because Mary’s contract will be extended. The excuse provided by JBD’s absence and the fact that we have, in reality, had our salary cap slashed, added to Tyson’s injury will cover any early run of losses. Long enough to last until his contract is renewed.
Of course you're right but it is only papering over the cracks.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Illawarra Mercury - is that your blue ribbon media source...seriously?
Given the outcry that followed Demetriou's departure and the appointment of McGregor, this rag will always try and dilute JD's suitability.
You are talking about a newspaper that is in the back pocket of the BOD spin doctors.
I can assure you Demetriou was definitely in the final 3 candidates and why wouldn't he be?
He was the incumbent assistant coach at Brisbane.
You can hardly call him a rookie coach given his CV.
Proving his worth again at Souths right now.
I think the debate about Jason Demetriou coaching us is now done and dusted.
The opportunity to install him was at the time McGregor was appointed full time.
It's probably too late now and the type of coach needed to mop up McGregor's mess is a different animal.
The Board had already made a factional deal to insert McGregor and given Demetriou's success with the Cutters, it just embarrassed everyone concerned and showed up the McGregor appointment for what it was - nepotism.
Just for the record champ seeing you don't like the term "Fallacy".
https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/5721021/demetriou-can-do-broncos-nrl-job-sattler/
Courier Mail - "Demetriou became the third candidateto to be formally interviewed for ... Origin mentor Kevin Walters as the final man to state his case for the job."
Sorry I couldn't send you the article but is asking for a subscription.
And there a plenty of other media outlets that confirm what I say.
So who would you rather believe Illawarra Mercury or the Courier Mail in Brisbane?

Given a choice between a News Limited “rag” (the Courier Mail”) or a Fairfax publication (the Illawarra Mercury), my preferred option would be the latter sans hesitation.

One would wonder why the Mercury would have a purposeful agenda against a South Coach golden child, such as Paul McGregor.

The so called blue ribbon source you’ve mentioned is only one of a multitude which regurgitated the same message that Demetriou was ignored at Brisbane.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Given a choice between a News Limited “rag” (the Courier Mail”) or a Fairfax publication (the Illawarra Mercury), my preferred option would be the latter sans hesitation.

One would wonder why the Mercury would have a purposeful agenda against a South Coach golden child, such as Paul McGregor.

The so called blue ribbon source you’ve mentioned is only one of a multitude which regurgitated the same message that Demetriou was ignored at Brisbane.
OK Jimmy it's a draw in my opinion but every man and his dog can see that JD can certainly take THE BIG RED V ,a hell of a long way further than Illawarras love child Paul Mcdickhead