What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I think the NRL can expand to 18. There will get a large boost in revenue for the extra game and I don’t think player depth concerns will be as bad as some fear. There are a lot of good players in the Super League. A number of English internationals who could be brought over. U would get the best QLD/NSW Cup players training full time and more opportunity for young players.

I actually think the NRL expanding would have a terrible effect on the Super Leagues quality but that isn’t really the NRL’s problem

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
If the NRL do opt to relocate there will be a number of nervous Sydney clubs.

I just hope the NRL decide to ‘relegate’ these Clubs to the NSW Cup with the likes of Norths and Newtown. That way their fans can atleats still support them in some capacity. More importantly expansion markets like Brisbane and Perth can have their own teams.

Dawesy76

Juniors
If the NRL do opt to relocate there will be a number of nervous Sydney clubs.

I just hope the NRL decide to ‘relegate’ these Clubs to the NSW Cup with the likes of Norths and Newtown. That way their fans can atleats still support them in some capacity. More importantly expansion markets like Brisbane and Perth can have their own teams.
As a lot of people have said. Brisbane/QLD won’t accept a relocated Sydney team. It’s gotta be a new franchise or bust for QLD

Perth on the other hand....

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Sharks and Manly seem the most likely to be relocated/cut for mine

The only thing Manly has going for it is their the only Northern Sydney club. They have an awful ground, little money and a smaller fan base. I can see Manly being cut and the NRL using this as an opportunity to give the far richer Roosters the North of Sydney as their junior area.

Cronulla are surround by Dragons territory and constantly seem to have issues. They also represent a smaller area of Sydney and can never seem to stay out of trouble. The Dragons can easily take over there junior area.

If things get really crazy I could see the Bulldogs moving, Parramatta can takeover there junior area. The Tigers are also probably the only brand who would do well relocated. They also split such a large territory at the moment. The Eels could takeover the Inner west and the Panthers takeover Campbeltown if necessary. It would have to get very crazy for these two to move imo

gallagher

Juniors
As a lot of people have said. Brisbane/QLD won’t accept a relocated Sydney team. It’s gotta be a new franchise or bust for QLD

Perth on the other hand....
What's the difference to Perth? Why would league fans in Perth want a failed team?

Game_Breaker

Coach

The only thing Manly has going for it is their the only Northern Sydney club. They have an awful ground, little money and a smaller fan base. I can see Manly being cut and the NRL using this as an opportunity to give the far richer Roosters the North of Sydney as their junior area.

Cronulla are surround by Dragons territory and constantly seem to have issues. They also represent a smaller area of Sydney and can never seem to stay out of trouble. The Dragons can easily take over there junior area.

If things get really crazy I could see the Bulldogs moving, Parramatta can takeover there junior area. The Tigers are also probably the only brand who would do well relocated. They also split such a large territory at the moment. The Eels could takeover the Inner west and the Panthers takeover Campbeltown if necessary. It would have to get very crazy for these two to move imo

You’re probably not from Sydney

taipan

Referee
Cronulla have now confirmed the agreement signed yesterday(199th March 2019) with the developer Bluestone:-
$9m for the land value of the future retail centre.
$12.2m for consideration of the air space above the retail centre Stage 4
An est $18m up front profit advance payment by the end of April 2019 for Stage 3 ,this to be invested.So on that basis it appears not to be a case of $1.5m pa over 12 years, but upfront in April.

$12.2m of this will be held in an escrow account for use specifically to deliver the League club refurbishment.Expected to be completed in 2021.
$9m to clear all debts including the end of this year.
Plus of course $18m in the bank.
I suggest they appear to be well out off trouble now.

No more smaller area than Manly,Canterbury,Easts.They have a far stronger junior area than the St George district and Wollongong is not next door.The area is growing and is required by the state Govt to have from memory at least 10,000 new places of residence(including units) in a 10 year time span.

Angry_eel

First Grade

You seem to be more positive about the eels than Parra fans. You've given them a territory from Balmain to Bankstown to Blacktown.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
You seem to be more positive about the eels than Parra fans. You've given them a territory from Balmain to Bankstown to Blacktown.
Dogs won’t be moving they have too much history, too many fans, too much money and Greenberg has a personal connection to us lol.

I’m not from Sydney but my personal opinion is it should be the roosters, take away the money they don’t have any fans, no junior system, and Souths can cover the territory.

But hey I won’t be making the choice, so it’s most likely going to be the sharks or manly.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Nope, Brisbane hahah. What part don’t you agree with and why?

Shire being taken over by the Dragons
Eels taking over bulldogs and tigers territory. Bulldogs are a bigger club than both anyway and are closer to the inner west than the eels

Like Brisbane won’t take a relocated Sydney team, why would those areas take an expanding Sydney team that is their fierce rivals?

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Shire being taken over by the Dragons
Eels taking over bulldogs and tigers territory. Bulldogs are a bigger club than both anyway and are closer to the inner west than the eels

Like Brisbane won’t take a relocated Sydney team, why would those areas take an expanding Sydney team that is their fierce rivals?

I was talking about the junior area, I doubt the fans would. If the clubs is relocated I doubt fans of the relocated club will hang around, if they do they will choose a team of their liking. As I said I think we can expand to 18 anyway

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Dogs won’t be moving they have too much history, too many fans, too much money and Greenberg has a personal connection to us lol.

I’m not from Sydney but my personal opinion is it should be the roosters, take away the money they don’t have any fans, no junior system, and Souths can cover the territory.

But hey I won’t be making the choice, so it’s most likely going to be the sharks or manly.

I doubt they will aswell. But if we have 3 maybe 4 markets that need teams either the NRL needs to expand or a number of Sydney teams have to move

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors

That is true although it would have to get very crazy for the NRL to relocate 4 teams. Shows the NRL really need to expand at some stage if they want to cover the potential markets

Knight76

Juniors
I can only see a relocation being Manly.

Won't be Bulldogs as they are wealthy, won't be a merge as they won't take a team that already is made up of two regions and send them to another region altogether therefore disenfranchising two areas in one go. Also, wests/balmain are both foundation clubs and they won't want to extinguish that link.

Won't be Parra or Penrith as they are the west clubs, Roosters are financially safe and Rabbits they have already tried to kick out once, and I doubt they have the stomach for it again.

Manly for mine is the only team that makes any sense to relocate.

Perth Eagles.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I was talking about the junior area, I doubt the fans would. If the clubs is relocated I doubt fans of the relocated club will hang around, if they do they will choose a team of their liking. As I said I think we can expand to 18 anyway

Still won’t make sense for parra to take over the Inner west juniors

Not the best nursery anyway

Perth Red

Post Whore
And what structures are in place for juniors? What about those not in the top squad where do play etc.. We are atleast 3 years from anywhere new being ready for a side.

Plan is to enter a Pirates side in nsw Cup in 2020 or 2021

As for juniors, from little acorns:

Rugby league participation in Western Australia increased by 16.7 per cent in 2018. There was positive growth across all age groups with an 11.6 per cent growth in male rates and a
43.1 per cent increase in registered female participation.
NRL Western Australia worked tirelessly throughout the year to arrest the recent decline in male participation in particular, with increases across all
age groups. The highlight was a 59.5 per cent growth in females 19 years and over.
The second annual Harmony Cup was held in Port Kennedy with 43 men’s and women’s teams taking part in the event. The event coincided with the first-ever NRL Voice Against Violence program delivered in Western Australia.
The new Perth Stadium hosted the NRL Round One double-header in front of a crowd of 38,824. The stadium will host the second Origin match in 2019

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/documents/nrl-gen19_6501-2018-annual-report-hr.pdf

Perth Red

Post Whore
Millionaire backers that are prepared for the long term,the highs and lows?
20,000 members confirmed or estimated?Most Sydney clubs have 15-20,000 representing a part of Sydney.Think it's fair to say few will follow their relocated club ro removed club.
Some very big and rich companies.Who? Have they publicly committed financially?
Who pays the travel costs?
How will the TV ratings for a Perth team perform in Sydney viewing audience against for example a Sydney team? eg A Warriors v Perth game.
Not trying to be a smart a*se ,just ferreting out facts.

If no Sydney clubs are struggling when the time arrives ,why not 18 teams?
Who knows the NRL may require Sydney clubs to all play at the new centralised stadiums(hello MR Daley),if they want to remain in Sydney.
Trouble is when I hear it from Kent and Ikin etc ,they are following the needs of their media masters, and have little empathy for the fans.And Gus Gould ditto.

Who knows, a non answerable question at this time. Brian Cumins has been pumping money into WA rugby league for over twenty years so I don’t think you can question his commitment. Laurie Puddy is willing to back a club and tony sage has shown interest in co owning a club. Until Greenberg sits down with them and makes an offer it’s hard to say which of these multi millionaires will be serious potential owners.
Estimated based an attendances over last few years, how could it be confirmed with no expansion lol?
How can they commit when there is nothing to commit to?
Nrl pays all clubs travel costs. $2.5million In 2018 in fact.
Don’t know, how does a storm v warriors game rate in Sydney?

Like I’ve said I believe this talk of relocation is a massive smoke and mirrors from Greenberg to try and get the clubs to sign license agreement. It will be 18 teams or no expansion.

Last edited:

Latest posts