What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL scheduling discussion

GongPanther

Referee
Are ppl aware that on Kayo.com.au and Foxsports IQ4, you can watch games at any time? If I watch the 6:00 pm match on Friday,and if I don't feel like watching league for whatever reason,I can watch it the next day. Same with the other days. Gives you more freedom to sort your(s) day out.

gerg

Juniors
How good would it be for crowds to have a redzone sort of situation on Sundays?

Friday 8pm
Saturday 3pm, 5pm and 7:30pm
Sunday Four games starting at 4pm.

Nine pick which game they want to broadcast on Sunday at 4pm, Fox do a 'Redzone' sort of broadcast at the same time. Everyone gets to go to day games.

It'll never happen. People and broadcasters would whinge.

I think they should do something like this for the final round of the regular season. They could show the games which are mainly affecting the top 8 (by not pre scheduling this round) on the Sunday afternoon.

unforgiven

Bench
Are ppl aware that on Kayo.com.au and Foxsports IQ4, you can watch games at any time? If I watch the 6:00 pm match on Friday,and if I don't feel like watching league for whatever reason,I can watch it the next day. Same with the other days. Gives you more freedom to sort your(s) day out.
Kayo is awesome, sport on demand is perfect for my lifestyle!

Perth Red

Post Whore
For anyone who doubts what a difference having a big fan base can make on revenue and thinks tv is the most important source of club income check out the Broncos revenue. If all clubs had attending fanbasees in the 25k-30k range tv would be much less significant source of revenue and we could schedule games to suit fans attending.

Basically they get around $13mill from tv and around $20mill from fan generated revenue. Most other clubs are lucky to be cracking $4-5mill from fan revenue.

Broncos
Nrl grant $13.4million
Sponsors and box sales $14.5million
Memberships and gate sales/match day earnings $17million
Merchandise $2.7million
Total $47.6million
https://www.broncos.com.au/contenta...ee7024/190220-bbl2018fullyearannouncement.pdf

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yep,this is why showing every game stand alone live is becoming less relevant. On selection and on demand is the future. How many people watch every game live these days? I’d be lucky to watch 3 live then a 2-3 on demand if I like the look of the teams playing.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Broncos revenue. If all clubs had attending fanbasees in the 25k-30k range tv would be much less significant source of revenue and we could schedule games to suit fans attending.

And if there was only 3 clubs in the Sydney area, that's probably what would happen.

I don't know why people compare Brisbane to Sydney clubs. They are a 1 team town in a city with a population of over 2 million people. Actually only getting 30k to their games isn't a huge percentage of people really. They have 1 league, 1 union, 1 AFL team playing in winter months. Sydney has 9 league teams, plus a union team, plus 2 AFL teams. Sydney clubs averaging 10k to their games is the equivalent of 30k in Brisbane.

Now, I'm sure the question is how. And it's this. Sydney has about 4.5m people. Divide that by 9 clubs, each club gets about 500k fan base. So, 1/4 of the size of the potential fan base of Brisbane. For a Sydney side to average 20k, that's 4 % of their potential fan base. Brisbane get 1.5% of theirs going to games.

GongPanther

Referee
Yep,this is why showing every game stand alone live is becoming less relevant. On selection and on demand is the future. How many people watch every game live these days? I’d be lucky to watch 3 live then a 2-3 on demand if I like the look of the teams playing.
I'll watch a game live if it means reading and commenting in here at the same time in the game day spoilers thread. But if a commitment comes up, I can leave it for another time. :)

GongPanther

Referee
And if there was only 3 clubs in the Sydney area, that's probably what would happen.

I don't know why people compare Brisbane to Sydney clubs. They are a 1 team town in a city with a population of over 2 million people. Actually only getting 30k to their games isn't a huge percentage of people really. They have 1 league, 1 union, 1 AFL team playing in winter months. Sydney has 9 league teams, plus a union team, plus 2 AFL teams. Sydney clubs averaging 10k to their games is the equivalent of 30k in Brisbane.

Now, I'm sure the question is how. And it's this. Sydney has about 4.5m people. Divide that by 9 clubs, each club gets about 500k fan base. So, 1/4 of the size of the potential fan base of Brisbane. For a Sydney side to average 20k, that's 4 % of their potential fan base. Brisbane get 1.5% of theirs going to games.

And this is the underlining reason why Perth should be the next location to have a RL team.

It has an estimated population of 2 million and growing around 14% per annum. Going by those figures alone, struggling clubs in the NRL would be crazy in not to take up such a feasible and rewarding proposition.

Perth Population 2019
Perth is an Australian boom town. The capital of Western Australia is the fourth largest city in the country, but also the most rapidly growing of all Australia's major cities.

Population Size of Perth
With an official 2011 population of 1,728,867, Perth has grown a staggering 14.3% in just five years -- the Perth population in 2006 was only 1,512,105.

In 2012, the population of Perth was pushed further to 1.9 million. Given the city's rapid growth, it's estimated that the 2013 population of Perth has now exceeded the 2 million.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/perth-population/

Slater1

Juniors

This is the best evidence I've seen to support the Rationalisation of Sydney teams in the NRL.

Need to increase the potential fan bases of the Sydney clubs if they are ever going to be truely profitable with good live crowd and tv ratings.

siv

First Grade
The other solution would be to end this ridiculous obsession with stand alone slots for all games and have a few at the same time and/or overlapping like every other major sporting competition in the world.

Friday - 8PM (FTA)
Saturday - 3PM (Fox), 5:30PM x 2 (Fox), 8PM (FTA)
Sunday - 2PM x 2 (Fox), 4PM (FTA)

It really isn't that difficult and the games that are on at the same time would ideally be aimed at different markets i.e. Sydney and non-Sydney.

In addition I would make the Friday slot what it used to be in the early 2000s, the marquee game of the week, make it an event again. Have the clubs earn their spot in that game based on previous year's performance so roosters/Melbourne would get more than any other club this year for example.

I would also give something back to channel 9 given they lose Thursday night, I would make their Saturday and Sunday games post round 12 floating fixtures meaning with appropriate notice, say 4 weeks (or 2 in the case of the final round) they can choose on of the other games that day to broadcast moving it to the later slot and moving the original game back to the earlier slot.

I agree

Friday 8:00pm
Sat 5:30pm and 2 x Sat 7:30pm (replay 9:30pm)
Sun 2 x 2pm and 2 x 4pm (2 on 9 2 on Fox) replay at 6pm and 7:30pm on Fox of Ch 9 games

Early time slot on Friday 6pm NZ Cup match of the round

Sat 1:30pm U20s and 3:30pm NSW/Qld Cup

Sun 10am U20s and 12pm NSW/Qld Cup

siv

First Grade
Almost always watch the ganes on delay. Alliws you to fast forward through the ads and pause during family interuptions

Latest posts