What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should league push into japan ?.

yakstorm

First Grade
If we had a billionaire ready to bankroll it or one of the major Japanese corporations was happy to make the switch, then of course, but if we are using limited RL funds, then there are better investments for us.

Honestly the $15m+ a year needed to run one team in Japan could arguably be used to create a professional RL competition in Eastern Europe, South-East Asia or Latin America and that would benefit the code significantly more in the short - medium term.

adamkungl

Immortal
This. By all means helping the game grow at grassroots level but I think the idea of "Union is big there we could be too" needs to be shelved.

I'm the opposite. Anywhere Union is big means a head start. Some obvious negatives too, but I'd take that chance.

If we had a billionaire ready to bankroll it or one of the major Japanese corporations was happy to make the switch, then of course, but if we are using limited RL funds, then there are better investments for us.

Honestly the $15m+ a year needed to run one team in Japan could arguably be used to create a professional RL competition in Eastern Europe, South-East Asia or Latin America and that would benefit the code significantly more in the short - medium term.

Obviously plonking a pro team in Japan now is harebrained, as someone else put it, but IMO Japan should be a very high priority in Asian grassroots investment. Hugely wealthy and influential country.

sportas

Juniors

That's the problem, most of the teams that I have read about actually began as a result of the employees of the companies beginning the teams, so a lot of the execs are ex-players or have ties to rugby. Its still the case today were all the japanese players are actually contracted to their teams not as rugby players but employees. So to try and break that would be a huge up hill battle.

The best bet will be other Asian countries especially those in the south like Thailand, Indonesia.

Latin America will need to move quick with the start of the pro South american comp Liga Sul Americana de Rugby set to start next year.

adamkungl

Immortal
Philippines and Thailand will be the heart of Asian Rugby League imo. Both have small local competitions and strong national teams with good support from Australia.

jim_57

Staff member
I'm the opposite. Anywhere Union is big means a head start. Some obvious negatives too, but I'd take that chance.

Obviously plonking a pro team in Japan now is harebrained, as someone else put it, but IMO Japan should be a very high priority in Asian grassroots investment. Hugely wealthy and influential country.

I just don't think it should be used as a reason to put resources in to a country. I'm all for starting up RL wherever and whenever I just think it's a very common idea that because Union is big in a country it should be an obvious target. The headstart is there yes,the problem then becomes that most comps/clubs never grow out of being something for Union players to do in the offseason.

Should RL push in to Japan? Yes,but it shouldn't be a made a priority over any other Asian country at this stage.

adamkungl

Immortal
I just don't think it should be used as a reason to put resources in to a country. I'm all for starting up RL wherever and whenever I just think it's a very common idea that because Union is big in a country it should be an obvious target. The headstart is there yes,the problem then becomes that most comps/clubs never grow out of being something for Union players to do in the offseason.

Should RL push in to Japan? Yes,but it shouldn't be a made a priority over any other Asian country at this stage.

That's a management and resources issue imo, rather than an inherent problem in a "Union country". Just a different set of problems.

It takes work, vision and guts to move from the easy leftovers to a serious contender.
Typically you would expect starting in a country with a Union presence to have an easier start with player numbers due to, as you say, offseason hobby players.
But then you've got to put up a full League season, likely running against the Union season and it becomes harder.

In a country starting from scratch you might have smoother growth but getting started is a bigger hurdle. Convincing people to play Rugby when they've never been exposed to any version of it.

adamkungl

Immortal
BTW this thread is a bit of an insult to those few that play and try to develop league in Japan already

How so? I'd say they'd appreciate some support and investment from the strongest parts of the game, in this fantasy scenario where the NRL or RLIF actually invests in anyone

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Pretty sure they tried a domestic comp years ago. Former Bulldogs winger Max Mannix was behind it. They had World Sevens appearances from 94-97.

c0c0nutz

Juniors
If we changed the name Rugby League to Pacific Football (a name that I coined) the Japanese might try to take the sport over.
and the Chinese. In all seriousness whatever must be done to promote and spread the sport, Japan playing in the ENWC was a step forward.

Last edited:

latingringo101

Juniors
From my understanding Japan cut down their domestic competition last year to participate in the ENWC. A few years ago they had a steady 3-4 team domestic competition and was hosting and travelling to places like Thailand to play international matches.

Hopefully 2019 there is more domestic competition in the Land of the Rising Sun

adamkungl

Immortal
Saw something this morning about a Junior League program in Tokyo or something but cant find the source

Whatwhere

Juniors
and the Chinese. In all seriousness whatever must be done to promote and spread the sport, Japan playing in the ENWC was a step forward.

The Chinese are looking to take over Rugby or at least heavily invest. The £5b ($9.7b) bid from the Swiss based Infront Sports group is backed by some big Chinese sporting group.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Serbia, Canda, USA, France and PNG - funds invested property in these countries would pay the biggest dividends for the international game IMO.