What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Stallion

First Grade
no, apathy and too many clubs per population is why Sydney gets crap crowds, or do you think crowds have suddenly got bad in the last week because of talk of relocation lol?

What’s the excuse for the last twenty years?

How wrong. Divide the population from Wollongong to all of Sydney by 9 clubs. You will see a figure greater than the populations of Canberra or Newcastle? My word it's astounding how dumb some people are!

siv

First Grade
I think the most likely scenario will be the NRL will expand to 18 clubs and then just let the Sydney clubs fight among each other for a few years until 2 of them eventually fold due to lack of finances. By 2025 we'll be back to 16.

Not 16 but relocation to the other markets like Adelaide or Wellington NZ

siv

First Grade
It would seem pretty obvious that the Nrl are giving all 16 current clubs every opportunity to survive given that the annual grant is now 120% of the salary cap. Add this to the fact that the clubs are only obliged to spend 95% of their cap each year and even the poorly managed clubs like the Sharks have some breathing space.
As far as expansion...the solution would seem relatively simple. To appease the broadcasters you add a second Brisbane team and a Perth side to provide a 9th game each week. To maximise the interest you now have 9 Sydney teams in a "conference" and also 9 teams in a regional conference. Each of the Sydney teams play the other Sydney teams twice (16 games) a play the regional teams once (9 games). 25 regular season games equates to 12 home and away games for each club with the 25th round being the super round (here to stay)? The regional teams would just do it in reverse Sydney based derbies would be far increased as would the number of Brisbane derbies (with 4 Queensland teams) . Make it happen Toddy.

I like it

For cross conference games play home - away over 2 years

siv

First Grade
They should create 4 new Sydney teams and let the existing teams feed to them.

Maybe add 4 new teams Norths Newtown Mounties and Glebe

And allow Brisbane Nth Qld Melbourne and the Titans to act as feeder clubs playing in the Qld Cup

Pommy

Coach
Oh look stallion with a bring back the bears post lol

I can’t see any club getting in so much strife they have to move now.
Manly would be the most at risk, their finances are dire, their leagues club is in big trouble, their fans have abandoned them and their ground is a shthole but it’s hard to believe someone wouldn’t step in if the penns got fed up of bank rolling them.

Nrl will bluster to try and force the clubs into signing perpetual licenses then either announce Perth and Brisbane for 2023, or announce no expansion until after 2023 tv deal is done and picture is known. Put money on it!

To be fair I don’t disagree with him about bringing back the bears. Manly have had their shot give the licence to bears either in Gosford or somewhere actually in north Sydney. Doesn’t have to be the suburb of North Sydney for me jsut somewhere people from the geographic region can actually get it, ie not Brookvale.
But no to an extra team in NSW.

siv

First Grade
Central Coast is only a relocation option, so there wouldn't be 'another' Sydney team.

If Adelaide can pull 20k for Roosters games it's not a stretch to think they could average a solid 15k or so. Perth and Adelaide often miss out on big events that come to the 3 big East coast cities and definitely hold some resentment about that, I think they'd support any big time events coming their way.

Previous RL events in Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin all show some solid support that a full time presence would only grow.

So it looks like Easts are the only club that pull off a successful Adelaide relocation. They have the state colours too. Just need a dash if yellow.

siv

First Grade
They have 10 teams within 100km that they can support!

Maybe all 9 Sydney & Newcastle teams should succeed from the NRL and just play NSW Cup in a simple 12 team home & away series with 5 team finals series.

Leaves lots of room for regional expansion options

Perth Red

Post Whore
How wrong. Divide the population from Wollongong to all of Sydney by 9 clubs. You will see a figure greater than the populations of Canberra or Newcastle? My word it's astounding how dumb some people are!

Ok so where are the fans? If Newcastle can get 18k with 500k why can’t sydney clubs?
Last night we had two teams, so by your logic 1million catchment, draw 10,000 people.

ram raid

Bench
Maybe add 4 new teams Norths Newtown Mounties and Glebe

And allow Brisbane Nth Qld Melbourne and the Titans to act as feeder clubs playing in the Qld Cup

The problem for the NRL is too many clubs in Sydney. Everywhere else is doing fine.

Stallion

First Grade
Ok so where are the fans? If Newcastle can get 18k with 500k why can’t sydney clubs?
Last night we had two teams, so by your logic 1million catchment, draw 10,000 people.

That's not the point. Thankfully you have looked at the maths. This is where decent marketing needs to be used. Their should a half price Thursday deal etc! And for people to be aware of this. That's not happening!

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
no, apathy and too many clubs per population is why Sydney gets crap crowds, or do you think crowds have suddenly got bad in the last week because of talk of relocation lol?

What’s the excuse for the last twenty years?

Maybe scheduling might be a issue ?

2 2018 Top 8 teams play

Last NRL match drew 48k

So they schedule it for ThNF

And hey get 10k. They killed off 10-20k from poor scheduling

siv

First Grade

I noticed 910k sat home to watch the single game on game day on TV

TheFrog

Coach
I think the most likely scenario will be the NRL will expand to 18 clubs and then just let the Sydney clubs fight among each other for a few years until 2 of them eventually fold due to lack of finances. By 2025 we'll be back to 16.
The trouble with this strategy is that the NRL does not get to decide when a club goes belly up, so if that happens in an 18 team comp, the club or clubs have to be bankrolled by the NRL until the end of the then current TV agreement, which might be as long as 4-5 years. Problems also with shot duck clubs attracting and retaining players. I think it all has to be planned a bit better than that.

Unless they guarantee 8 games a round and the 9th is sold separately on a yearly basis.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's not he point. Thankfully you have looked at the maths. This is where decent marketing needs to be used. Their should a half price Thursday deal etc! And for people to be aware of this. That's not happening!

It’s round 2, you telling me people in Sydney didn’t know Souths were playing dragons?
Price I agree but still doesn’t explain why Newcastle can draw 18k and two Sydney teams only 10k from a catchment of 1million?

Stallion

First Grade
It’s round 2, you telling me people in Sydney didn’t know Souths were playing dragons?
Price I agree but still doesn’t explain why Newcastle can draw 18k and two Sydney teams only 10k from a catchment of 1million?

Still didn't read right!, You got the price comment right. The lack of marketing about such a deal would be part of the issue. For instance HALF PRICE THURSDAYS!

Latest posts