What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freddy calls to sack Widdop.

kit66

Bench
The word is that Dean Young will be made interim coach and then the backroom deals will begin - deals to ensure Dean Young is our next head coach. Don't underestimate the strength of the old boys club and it's ability to get things done according to it's wishes.

I've been saying this for 2 years, his daddy got him a shot in 1st grade and he'll hand him the coaching reins when he can. Soon I'd guess. I also said Mary is not in full control of coaching at the Dragons, you're blind if you think he is. The Young's run the show and there's no-one at the Dragons to stand up to them or get rid of them.
If D.Young takes the coaching reins ( without going to coach elsewhere for a few years and earning it ) I'll go watch some other sport or follow 2nd grade. I never thought he deserved his shot in 1st grade and he doesn't deserve to coach the greatest footy club in the world off his father's back. I've had a gut-full of both of them.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Not such a bad idea
f**k widdop he’s broken his contract and he’s never delivered when it’s mattered So I say f**k off
let Norman and hunt work up a combination and put dufty at the back

:joy:

You do realise Norman has been a dud with his precious clubs and has failed to deliver when it’s mattered?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lets give Ravalwa a couple of games to prove his worth, remember he is outside of Aitken. Also, his side and hard running at the line particularly the second tackle deep in our half is vital. Please watch the games again and look at the metres he was making with each carry.

My wingers would be Ravalwa and Pearson.
Centres Lomax and Norman.

I would tell these guys you have 6 weeks to prove that's your spot to keep.

I would then go to Aitken and Lafai and say you have been overtaken by these guys and you need to kill it in CC/ISP to push you way back into first grade. Its now up to you.

It’s self evident that Ravalawa simply isn’t first grade material.

giboz71

First Grade
Widdop at FB could have been a good idea if actually wanted to play there. He can play there and be very good as he did in the World Cup when his attitude was in the right place.

His body language, and his mutterings in the press suggests otherwise. Just doesn't seem interested in the switch and putting his body on the line. Mind seems to be already in England which was always a risk.

Either move him back to 5/8 or move him on.

But leaving him at FB in his current state of mind will be a disaster.

True_Believer

Juniors
They have the luxury of selecting players from a whole state nursery.

Actually, I believe it is pretty much the whole of the Brisbane comp. You have one or 2 being covered by other teams (eg Melbourne) but most of them supply Broncos. Just as many of the teams up north support the cowboys. From memory, the Cowboys disperse their team across at least 4 QLD cup teams - they have their 30 playing in Cairns, Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton. Nice to be able to choose from such a large group of players.

getsmarty

Immortal
Freddy's good for an occasional funny line but no-one cares for his insights on Channel 9 Ball. He's the wacky sideline guy.
Most Channel 9 commentators suck, Joey contradicts himself weekly, he recently went on about the Wids to fb move like it was a materstroke now he says it's killing the Dragons and if he was a Blues selector we'd have a squad of 45 already. Gus is unbearable, I gladly forgo the pleasure on Hi - Def to switch to Fox to avoid his bs.
Widdop isn't our problem, at 5/8 or fullback, he has to be on the field. We already know what our problems are thanks Freddy.

Correct...just trying to take some pressure off his mate "Mary "

True_Believer

Juniors
:joy:

You do realise Norman has been a dud with his precious clubs and has failed to deliver when it’s mattered?

I don't often agree with you Jimmy, but this is spot on. I can't understand the "never delivered when it's mattered" regarding Widdop and then the unadulterated adoration for Norman.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Watching Widdop at fullback when the opposition are running at him, he always goes for the intercept rather than take out the ball carrier. Big sign that he does not want to make a high impact tackle.

He is not confident in that shoulder, just wondering if that his reason to go to Super League and pickup one less big contract and minimise the longer term damage.
There is probably a degree of truth in what you say but we did see him tackle a rampaging JT front on. Two major dislocations and surgery last year would have to be in his mind.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There is probably a degree of truth in what you say but we did see him tackle a rampaging JT front on. Two major dislocations and surgery last year would have to be in his mind.
Not enough on his mind to tackle JT as you mentioned, plus he put his body on the line to attempt to save that try in Townsville last week.

Nah, I'm calling bs on this theory. At the very least it's getting overstated.

I also feel it is time to let Widdop go. He is either playing injured or without interest / enthusiasm.

It is clear to me that we now have some big holes in our roster and so the money set aside for Widdop and De Belin should now be used to fill these holes and secure the future of Lomax and Robson.
Possum old mate I said it in another thread that we should get rid of him he’s going anyway best we start planning for life after him

Frank Facer

First Grade
I said that we should have let Widdop go to England before the season started and created an extra 900K salary cap space. I also said that we should offload Aitken and Lafai before the season started.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A recruitment program that tries to put 4 players into 3 positions. A fullback whose contract is extended but gets put on in the last 8-10 minutes. A five-eighth and captain who is delegated to fullback to cover for said mentioned benchie.

Then we try to blame our best player.

Quite frankly, we don't deserve Widdop.

ouryears

Bench
He hasn't broken his contract.

And never delivered?

You're either trolling or have no idea. Which is it?
Widdop has been an average first grade half and a no hoper captain.
That’s my opinion and more on this forum think so as well
I never expected him to be near Cronk, but being behind Pearce, Maloney, Reynolds, and others says it all.

Name one year where he was instrumental in us doing well......crickets.....zzzzzz
How he ever got to be our clubs captain from the purple cheaters is one of the great wonders of the world

In my opinion, he can F##k off