What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Fights || Modern Day vs Old Days

oinkoink

Juniors
It was a pre-season game and Bundy tackled Brad Mackay who got up and gave him a push. Bundy dropped him with a short left jab. Wayne Collins was dummy half and stepped forward to remonstrate and Bundy popped him with another short left jab and gave him jelly legs.
bang bang - was ridiculous
Was on TV so the footage might exist somewhere - have not seen it for years

Willie Ray

Bench
It was a pre-season game and Bundy tackled Brad Mackay who got up and gave him a push. Bundy dropped him with a short left jab. Wayne Collins was dummy half and stepped forward to remonstrate and Bundy popped him with another short left jab and gave him jelly legs.
bang bang - was ridiculous
Was on TV so the footage might exist somewhere - have not seen it for years
yep I 'member that....Bundy looking back at them both on the ground as he jogged away to join the play...
would get six weeks for that nowadays.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
100%. The game is simply just not as good anymore as a direct result of this change.
Our game was built on this type of aggression, with a hand shake at the end of the game. Without it, it's not as exciting, and we've gone soft with the shitty melee, all in for a push and a pull, which has seen mouthy little shits get way too confident because they know they can take liberties without getting a slap.
There was nothing wrong with this type of biff - in fact plenty will say it's part of what brought them to watch. Now it's not there, a huge part of the potential spectacle has gone.

What annoys me is that the NRL introduced this "new no fighting rule".

Well hello. Its been a rule for a while, its just the refs didnt have the balls to send a bloke to the bin.

IMO if Gallen was sin binned back then, then there probably wouldnt be such an over-reaction from the NRL and the media darlings.

I mean I can think so many examples of blokes getting sin binned for throwing a punch before this supposed new rule came in.

Some good ones were Michael Weyman Vs Mark Riddell and Craig Stapleton and John Hopoate. Piggy Riddell was in the dressing rooms looking happy and pumped, even though we were getting pumped on the scoreboard. Stapleton against Manly in 2004 though his job was done but Hoppa wanted more in the tunnel lol.

Going back to that Gallen incident, the NRL told the refs to get tough but they went way over the top. I swear in a club game there was a brawl, two blokes went toe to toe throwing punches, two others were pushing and shoving, no punches in that one. Yet the refs sin binned all 4 players in a massive over-reaction. The fans were fuming.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2003 was a real good year for RL biff :O

Not sure if it was the same year, but the Warriors played the Broncos and when Carl Webb got into the one of the Warriors players at the play the ball, it exploded.

Betham got involved and everyone thought he would go toe to toe with Webb, given their boxing backgrounds but I think Betham ripped into Casey McGuire and Webb got into another Warriors players but it was good to watch.

Seb Paez

Juniors
I’ve heard a few people wanting to see that massive brawl between cowboys and warriors in 2000. Due to the lack of NRL action lately, they’ve put up on the official website that they are accepting requests for uploads of classic matches.
For those people that have Twitter, I suggest posting a tweet tagging NRL (@NRL) and using #NRLclassics and requesting cowboys vs warriors from round 12 2000. If there’s enough people that request it, they will look for the tape and upload the full replay on NRL.com!
I’ve also requested roosters vs sharks round 18 2007 as that has a good brawl involving Paul gallen.

Latest posts