What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

CC_Roosters

First Grade
[/QUOTE]
Me too. In fact I’d personally like to eventually see a 4-5 team North American conference run concurrently alongside a European super league conference with maybe some crossover games that protects the North American franchises from relegation and keeps the English fans happy from not seeing traditional English clubs being replaced by North American and French clubs.

I had a thought a few days ago along similar lines

20 teams
4x 5 team divisions
A- North America
B- France/Europe
C- england 1
D- england 2

Have H&A in your division then each other division once for 23 games. division winners and runners up in a 8 team knockout finals series. "world super league!" haha

CC_Roosters

First Grade
On the other hand the investors could say well this would handicap cap us and prevent the WP from getting to super league in the next 5-10 years so they are pulling out.

It is a very difficult issue but i don't know if hard rules are the best options.

I think sometimes we forget how hard it is to develop NRL and SL quality players. PNG still barely produces any players that aren't developed through Aus junior systems. France has a professional comp supporting Catalans and can still only develop about half a team, Melbourne have produce three players barely of NRL quality in over 20 years.

London has done well enough considering its relative isolation. The likes of Perth have shown you can build a stable junior setup from the ground up (even without a pro side present). The powers that be need pull the successful experiences together and work out a plan to push the game into new areas in a sustained way. any right thinking sporting body at its international governance level should be able to look at somewhere like France and develop a (funded) strategy with the federation to increase the playing pool.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Last edited:

Walter sobchak

First Grade
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spo...ans-new-destination-rugby-leagues-2668724.amp

Nothing confirmed on their entry. But it appears Perez has named Ottawa as his planned location for the Hemel licence.

EDIT: here is a better article

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/spo...oking-to-bring-a-rugby-league-team-to-ottawa/
Don’t think anybody really saw that coming. All the talk was either Hamilton or Montreal.

Personally I think I’d also rather see another Canadian franchise selected before New York or any other US franchise. Let’s build Canada RL up first.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

I had a thought a few days ago along similar lines

20 teams
4x 5 team divisions
A- North America
B- France/Europe
C- england 1
D- england 2

Have H&A in your division then each other division once for 23 games. division winners and runners up in a 8 team knockout finals series. "world super league!" haha[/QUOTE]
No so sure about 4-5 conferences but there’s a lot of permutations regarding conferences.

My reasoning surrounding conferences remains that current and potential expansion international teams must be protected from relegation or it’s pointless as they’d fold.

Something like a 2 conference setup along the lines of :-

International conference
Ottawa
Toronto
Catalans
Toulouse
London

Super league conference
Wigan
Warrington
St. Helens
Salford
Leeds
Hull fc
Hull kr
Castleford
Huddersfield
Wakefield

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...g-games-to-tonga-or-fiji-20190323-p516xd.html

NYC bid gets wings
Plans to start a team in New York from next season are well progressed with entrepreneur Ricky Wilby securing an airline partner prepared to fly opposition teams in and out of the Big Apple for home games should they get a start in League One, two levels below the English Super League.

‘‘Our airline partner has agreed to fly 30 people to the games, home and away teams, in their premium cabin,’’ Wilby said. ‘‘It’s a deal that is worth up to $1 million.’

Evil Homer

Staff member
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...g-games-to-tonga-or-fiji-20190323-p516xd.html

NYC bid gets wings
Plans to start a team in New York from next season are well progressed with entrepreneur Ricky Wilby securing an airline partner prepared to fly opposition teams in and out of the Big Apple for home games should they get a start in League One, two levels below the English Super League.

‘‘Our airline partner has agreed to fly 30 people to the games, home and away teams, in their premium cabin,’’ Wilby said. ‘‘It’s a deal that is worth up to $1 million.’
The ability of this guy to get publicity in Australia is baffling. Do people not realize it's just a bloke from Huddersfield making the whole thing up?

axl rose

Bench
The ability of this guy to get publicity in Australia is baffling. Do people not realize it's just a bloke from Huddersfield making the whole thing up?

Our media letting facts get in the way of a 'good' story? that will be the day. They even run stories that Rugby League is going to conquer the Beijing market every year.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

NYC bid gets wings

Something is just not right with the New York bid and I’m not convinced at all that it’s credible and happening.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Something is just not right with the New York bid and I’m not convinced at all that it’s credible and happening.
The guy behind it Wilby used to run a fan website for Catalans and hang around the team bus offering to carry the players bags for them at away games, he's definitely not an 'entrepreneur' or someone with any type of business background or acumen.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The guy behind it Wilby used to run a fan website for Catalans and hang around the team bus offering to carry the players bags for them at away games, he's definitely not an 'entrepreneur' or someone with any type of business background or acumen.
Exactly. Isn’t he or wasn’t he a P.E. Teacher in Huddersfield?

Latest posts