What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our home crowds.

taipan

Referee
It's got to come down to hiring security, ticket sellers and checkers, cleaners and ground preparation,buses??.
Still doesn't come to what it is costing the Sharks.

IMO consider a city like Adelaide or Perth or even a home game against the Broncs to Brisbane,and it means extra hundreds of thousands in the pocket, go for it.
I'd be taking to Adelaide a game v Roosters.
Or a game v Broncos to Suncorp, stuff their home ground advantage
Or against the Cows to Perth
We'd earn more (much more )than we get now.The scheduling is stuffing us at times.

We will have $18m (Oxford scholars ) in the Bank.let's not chew that up, faster than a hot pie in the middle of winter.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Who in their right mind would want to play club games out of those huge stuffin stadiums. Just had the TV on prior to the Sunday TV game - sheeze it looks barren. Not a good look at all.

Card Shark

Immortal
24 mill last year to run the footy department
13.5 m from nrl
6 from sponsorship
rest to be made up frpm game day
thats how they came up with 16k people

either get some more sponsorship dollars or cut costs

Getting more sponsorship is a struggle atm.

I’m sorry but “self reporting” the salary cap anomalies was a killer in more ways than 1

self reporting isnt killing us, it doesnt help.

running your business of projections we have never hit in our history is what is killing us. we have hit the 16k mark once in the last 3 seasons( sorry twice in 2017 and twice in 2016) and that is 2 games a year not an avg.

the avg over the last 15 games has been 13k ish which gives us 4.5m income. or all overall loss of 1.5m for the season or more if we have lost sponsors.

remember barry and flanno were meant to be disagreeing about expenditure.
i wonder why????

Reactions: Ads

President Trump

Juniors
The issue of the football and leagues club being separate legal and financial entities may also be an issue here - does the extra income the leagues club generates on game day get factored into those break-even calculations?

There’s one big problem of selling the land that the stadium is on and playing ALL of our games at the Allianz stadium.

Once you start playing all your games there you are admitting to the NRL you are not viable staying and playing in Cronulla.

You then become a team that is more easily shifted because you’re not based in a unique area.

I have often thought it would make more financial sense to play out of Allianz for games against the Dragons, Roosters & Souths because we do normally attract great crowds there especially for fans not based in Cronulla.

But the other big factor is that you would attract way more away fans too to that Stadium.

The other game I would take away is the Warriors to N.Z if there was a great financial deal for the Sharks.

That would leave the local area with 8 home games. Maybe that doesn’t sit well with some here, but I’m sorry how much more money does the Club flush down the toilet whilst waiting patiently for supporters to turn up to games when we have been a top 4 side the past few years.

I’m shocked the Club hasn’t tried anything mentioned above in the past two years rather than to bleed to death on the operating table year after year. $3million dollar losses each year are just that.

Ads

First Grade
If we move away from woolooware and it’s not to a Chinese built Loftus stadium then we may as well relocate somewhere.

shaggs

Coach
We have tried in the last to move games.

Adelaide
Somewhere in NZ
central coast possibly.

The sharks are a hard case to sell. They aren’t attractive to those that aren’t sharks fans.

What’s in Wagga? Is there a ground up to NRL there?

its simple, to stay in the shire we spend less than we make.

pretty basic idea.

honestly dont believe anybody would fork out over half a mill plus other costs to host us for a game

fizman

Bench
In 1998, Andrew Voss declared that Cronulla and Souths Sydney merging was an absolute certainty.

He even put up a picture of ET in this combined Souths and Cronulla jersey.

He gets very upset because I never let him forget it.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
With respect i think a few of you are jumping at shadows. We are for the first time in our chequered history solvent and safe. We are debt free and have 28 million set aside to significantly improve our facilities. On top of that we have the 18 million safety net that must of course be invested and used wisely. The other thing in all clubs favour is the fact that with the clubs being granted almost 3 million in excess of the salary cap each year. Sure we faarrkked it up this last year but hopefully we're learning. The optimistic expectation is that the revamped leagues club with massive outdoor balconies with city views etc will finally be able to compete with the newer and popular venues around the shire for the first time. Be patient and in the meantime enjoy a side starting to actually play some footy with potentially one of the best batches of kids that we've had in our existence.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
we arent learning though if we need crowds in excess of 16k to break even
A figure that has been plucked out by Dino possibly to put a bit of friendly pressure on the casual attendee but devoted fan. Smart business to jag 15k out of a game that averages 9k at home. Next home game is v the defending premiers on a Saturday night. If we happen to go into that one at 3 and 1....we'll comfortably top 15k given fair weather