What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
I guess this just shows that this simply wasn’t the issue Daley thought it was. People in the Western Suburbs and Country didn’t give a flying f**k about the stadiums - they cared that that there had been serious investment in infrastructure in the last six years. It’s easy for inner-city lefties (a badge that I have worn for a number of years) to say that the stadiums and Powerhouse Museum and lack of consultation when selling assets are a major issue when you don’t have to spend an hour on the M5 every morning.

I still think the refurb of ANZ is fine; Level 6 is only open for major ‘event’ matches and people buy those seats just to be there. Hopefully they can include a canopy for an initiate mode and it’s really all we’ll need.

snogard6

Juniors
I guess this just shows that this simply wasn’t the issue Daley thought it was. People in the Western Suburbs and Country didn’t give a flying f**k about the stadiums - they cared that that there had been serious investment in infrastructure in the last six years. It’s easy for inner-city lefties (a badge that I have worn for a number of years) to say that the stadiums and Powerhouse Museum and lack of consultation when selling assets are a major issue when you don’t have to spend an hour on the M5 every morning.

I still think the refurb of ANZ is fine; Level 6 is only open for major ‘event’ matches and people buy those seats just to be there. Hopefully they can include a canopy for an initiate mode and it’s really all we’ll need.
Well, in that case, we only need a 60k stadium. I think that would be ideal

The figure I saw for the partial rebuild is $810M (vs 1.3B for a complete knock down and rebuild).
I’d be interested to see what the plan is for the partial rebuild. Are the also going to bring the ends in? How are they planning on dealing with roof coverage? It’ll just be a mega-Allianz if they simply pull the lower tiers and ends in closer. And as you say the upper tiers will still be miles away.

Edit: found the video. It’s basically extending the roof and bringing the bottom tiers and especially the ends in. Still looks like the lower tiers will get rained on and the upper tiers will have a rubbish view though.

going off the video it's definitely not a 100% drip line.

Looking at the video again the roof isn't great, that's a concern for club games. Much of the lower bowl will still get wet.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think a 100% drip line would be impossible without a complete rebuild. It’d simply require too much unsupported roof extension from the current structure.

I think a 100% drip line would be impossible without a complete rebuild. It’d simply require too much unsupported roof extension from the current structure.

Yeah it's pretty disappointing tbh, why i'd prefer to wait and do it properly. We don't need ANZ that much if Dogs & Souths use the other new stadiums.

Timbo

Staff member
We’ve still only really seen concepts. Now that the election is done and dusted I’ll reserve judgement until the final plans are shown.

We’ve still only really seen concepts. Now that the election is done and dusted I’ll reserve judgement until the final plans are shown.

I'd say it's reasonably accurate, as @SpaceMonkey pointed out they probably can't extend the roof all the way out. I mean it's an improvement for sure, but how much does the NRL really need the ground?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m inclined to agree with you guys, I think $800M is a hell of a lot to make an ordinary stadium a bit less ordinary. I’d be deferring it a couple of years and going for the full rebuild. Which is what should be happening now, with Allianz just getting the $18M to bring it up to code and eventually getting rebuilt in a decade or so.

I’m inclined to agree with you guys, I think $800M is a hell of a lot to make an ordinary stadium a bit less ordinary. I’d be deferring it a couple of years and going for the full rebuild. Which is what should be happening now, with Allianz just getting the $18M to bring it up to code and eventually getting rebuilt in a decade or so.

Allianz is going to need more than $18m, the roof is half demolished.

The only thing that might happen is a reduction in the spend on it, but it's being rebuilt.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I said what should be happening, not what will happen. The Allianz demolition has started now and it’s too late to go back on it, they just need to continue on with the current plan now.
What I meant was that in an ideal world ANZ should’ve been completely rebuilt first, wi5h Allianz only receiving the necessary maintenance and safety upgrades until after ANZ was finished.

Timbo

Staff member

That number was not accurate. That was just for exit signage and associated electric works.

The austere renovation number was actually $130m. Which is an awful lot of money to put lipstick on a pig.