What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

T-Boon

Coach
Football codes that have a 3 hour game seem to get big crowds.

Actually sports that go for 3 hours seem to get good crowds. NRL should increase the length of the game. 80minutes spread out over 150minutes rather than 105minutes.

T-Boon

Coach
AFL get pretty much the best crowds in the world relevant to population. They get bigger crowds than most of the super popular European soccer leagues.
Compared to population NRL crowds are on par with most sports leagues. AFL is the anomaly.

Totally true, but we should look closely at why.
For example how in the world do the Swans have a bigger average crowd than the Broncos?

franklin2323

Immortal
For example how in the world do the Swans have a bigger average crowd than the Broncos?

In some grounds RL on TV is better than the view at the game. AFL is on a round field so you can't see it all on TV.

The NRL TV coverage is too good. Means you don't have to actually go to games

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s not so much the league avg, though at a very static 14-15k for over a decade it’s a concern it isn’t improving at all, rather the number of games that draw under 15k. Far too many games draw bog avg 10-15k crowds. It’s a good job we have Brisbane, Newcastle and Melbourne boosting overall avg. Sydney is supposed to be our strength with so many teams in a massive population, it needs to deliver more. Hopefully more teams move to WSS and this sees an improvement.

I'd rather games in Bathurst, Wagga Wagga etc then averaging more people through the gates. That and the terrible Thurs night games. Do far more exposure wise than an extra few thousand through the gates will

hutch

First Grade
It’s not so much the league avg, though at a very static 14-15k for over a decade it’s a concern it isn’t improving at all, rather the number of games that draw under 15k. Far too many games draw bog avg 10-15k crowds. It’s a good job we have Brisbane, Newcastle and Melbourne boosting overall avg. Sydney is supposed to be our strength with so many teams in a massive population, it needs to deliver more. Hopefully more teams move to WSS and this sees an improvement.

Souths averaged 18531 and the tigers averaged 17291 to melbournes 17293.
It’s not all Sydney clubs! Most Sydney clubs average way more when they’re doing well, the dogs have averaged over 20k per game in years they have done well. Parra averaged only 11k last year but will easily double that this year.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
In some grounds RL on TV is better than the view at the game. AFL is on a round field so you can't see it all on TV.

The NRL TV coverage is too good. Means you don't have to actually go to games

Disagree. When I watch AFL at the MCG, its a big oval, meaning that when the ball is on the opposite side of the ground I'm often squinting or having to look at the screen to make out what is happening. I don't have to do that at AAMI for NRL, the viewing of the play is a lot easier to follow and closer no matter where I sit.

No-one 'has' to go to games. All codes are shown live on TV somewhere. Some of these excuses are bullshit, if you want to go you will go. Sydney sports watchers are soft merkins.

franklin2323

Immortal
Disagree. When I watch AFL at the MCG, its a big oval, meaning that when the ball is on the opposite side of the ground I'm often squinting or having to look at the screen to make out what is happening. I don't have to do that at AAMI for NRL, the viewing of the play is a lot easier to follow and closer no matter where I sit.

No-one 'has' to go to games. All codes are shown live on TV somewhere. Some of these excuses are bullshit, if you want to go you will go. Sydney sports watchers are soft merkins.

Memberships are going up..If people want to pay for them and not go to games then so be it.

Frailty

First Grade
Unfortunately Rugby League suffers from the fact that the game is perfect for TV. Watching sports like AFL, Soccer, and even NFL - watching on TV means you miss out on a lot of the play that goes on away from the ball.

Clubs and the game need to find better ways to find other ways to attract people to turn up to the game. You need to offer something that they cannot experience at home on TV.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Unfortunately Rugby League suffers from the fact that the game is perfect for TV. Watching sports like AFL, Soccer, and even NFL - watching on TV means you miss out on a lot of the play that goes on away from the ball.

Clubs and the game need to find better ways to find other ways to attract people to turn up to the game. You need to offer something that they cannot experience at home on TV.

A concern with improved TV accessibility of RL is the potential of reduced direct connection of the new generation to the players. I remember going to AFL, NBL and cricket games as a kid in Melbourne and seeing the stars in person and it connected me immediately with that team and the game. Even going to training sessions to get autographs was a massive thrill (Andrew Gaze was a lot bigger than I anticipated!). When the Storm came in, going to Olympic park was cold and crappy, but was great to see the players live and build a following. Taking kids to games and seeing their favorites in the flesh builds that passion to go to games on a regular basis, rather than the "stuff it, it's on TV" attitude that is growing.

franklin2323

Immortal

That is where the clubs/NRL have dropped the ball. The TV coverage has improved but the game day experience has gone backwards imo at worse stayed the same.

Frailty

First Grade
A concern with improved TV accessibility of RL is the potential of reduced direct connection of the new generation to the players. I remember going to AFL, NBL and cricket games as a kid in Melbourne and seeing the stars in person and it connected me immediately with that team and the game. Even going to training sessions to get autographs was a massive thrill (Andrew Gaze was a lot bigger than I anticipated!). When the Storm came in, going to Olympic park was cold and crappy, but was great to see the players live and build a following. Taking kids to games and seeing their favorites in the flesh builds that passion to go to games on a regular basis, rather than the "stuff it, it's on TV" attitude that is growing.

I think it needs to go beyond that. Cronulla Sharks players have been extremely accessible to fans (from my experience). That's something that is great for kids, but ultimately it is not going to be the thing that keeps people coming through the gates.

There just needs to be an overhaul to the game day experience - and it needs to be beyond the 'cheaper concessions' and 'have more than one game' narrative that gets thrown around.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it needs to go beyond that. Cronulla Sharks players have been extremely accessible to fans (from my experience). That's something that is great for kids, but ultimately it is not going to be the thing that keeps people coming through the gates.

There just needs to be an overhaul to the game day experience - and it needs to be beyond the 'cheaper concessions' and 'have more than one game' narrative that gets thrown around.

Lower grades are a good cheap form to add to entertainment. A band or something still works

Next Friday night Panthers play WT. No lower grades gates will open at like 7pm and be nothing there until the game starts at 8 or so. What incentive is there for those who live in Leichhardt to trek 40-60mins out to the game?

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

Yes, it goes beyond the players making themselves accessible, its also on the parents not taking the easy option of staying home so that the kids continue to engage with the players and build that connection. I never wanted to go because there was more food options, I wanted to see my heroes play. Game day experience is connecting with the team, so more team related activities will help build that.

It must be acknowledged that pricing continues to be a big influencer. It was a little while ago, but as a kid it was $2 to get into a VFL game. Prices for kids should be a lot lower than they are now, or regular specials to make the event more fiscally acceptable so that the easy option is not so attractive.

Frailty

First Grade
Yes, it goes beyond the players making themselves accessible, its also on the parents not taking the easy option of staying home so that the kids continue to engage with the players and build that connection. I never wanted to go because there was more food options, I wanted to see my heroes play. Game day experience is connecting with the team, so more team related activities will help build that.

It must be acknowledged that pricing continues to be a big influencer. It was a little while ago, but as a kid it was $2 to get into a VFL game. Prices for kids should be a lot lower than they are now, or regular specials to make the event more fiscally acceptable so that the easy option is not so attractive.

Clubs have tried to lower costs of entry (and a lot of that is limited due to stadium contracts). GA for adults is generally $20-25, whilst for kids it's $10. That's before even looking at the savings for Family Deals.

The cost of concessions are ridiculous, but that's also managed by the stadium management, and it is comparable internationally.

Next Friday night Panthers play WT. No lower grades gates will open at like 7pm and be nothing there until the game starts at 8 or so. What incentive is there for those who live in Leichhardt to trek 40-60mins out to the game?
Umm they get to see their team play?! But yeah in terms of taking kids you would want something extra to keep them entertained for a later kickoff.

Frailty

First Grade
Lower grades are a good cheap form to add to entertainment. A band or something still works

There are plenty of games where there is earlier games, and crowds still don't turn up until just before the main game. Around the world, other sports can manage to attract crowds without other games beforehand.

My point is these have been tested and don't work. The game needs to look at NEW ways to improve the game day experience. I'm not sure what that is, but the status quo and methods from the 90s will not work anymore.

Last Week

Bench
I don't know why people are having a cry about a crowd which was over 20K...

Reality is Bulldog fans had enough since 2017 and nothing has changed since.
I was disappointed in the amount of Parramatta fans yesterday...

Lol yeah, and Parra fans have had the luxury of a successful team the last 10 years.

franklin2323

Immortal
There are plenty of games where there is earlier games, and crowds still don't turn up until just before the main game. Around the world, other sports can manage to attract crowds without other games beforehand.

My point is these have been tested and don't work. The game needs to look at NEW ways to improve the game day experience. I'm not sure what that is, but the status quo and methods from the 90s will not work anymore.

Some grounds it works at some not so Newcastle is one it works at. Penrith too seems to be another wheras Melbourne even in NYC days had no early game.

The NFL the tailgate parties get people to the stadium earlier. They have bands etc.. So there is ways around it until so it is what it is

taipan

Referee
Actually sports that go for 3 hours seem to get good crowds. NRL should increase the length of the game. 80minutes spread out over 150minutes rather than 105minutes.

The Sunburns,the Brisbane Kitty Litters and the Spotless Gnats would stuff that suggestion.

taipan

Referee

Because the Broncos absolutely dominate Brisbane Tv, ratings,whereas the Swans Tv ratings in Sydney are smaller than a country town.

Latest posts