What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mullo

template

NRL
Mullen almost dies from drug overdose, subject of police probe
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
40 minutes ago
Subscriber only
He was once a $1 million-a-year State of Origin star and a household name in rugby league.

Now the life of former Newcastle Knights half Jarrod Mullen has spiralled spectacularly out of control following a drug overdose and suspicions he could be linked to a drug supply ring.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the 31-year-old, who is serving a four-year doping ban, almost died from a drug overdose last December and is now under investigation in his hometown of Newcastle in relation to the alleged drug supply ring.

To date, he has not been charged with any offence

Detectives from strike force Castlestead have been working on his case for several months.

Ironically the former Blues Origin star almost lost his life from a drug overdose at a 40th birthday party in early December.

The host of the party, Willie Mason’s brother Les, has since been charged by police with drug supply offences, unrelated to the overdose.

Mullen was rushed to hospital in a critical condition. He survived after spending two days in intensive care.

After being discharged, the former Newcastle Knights half-back entered a rehab centre for six weeks and has since left Newcastle to live in Wollongong.

Police on Monday issued a statement regarding the investigation.

“Strike Force Castlestead was formed in September 2018 to investigate and dismantle an alleged drug supply syndicate operating across the Newcastle City and Lake Macquarie Police Districts.

“Since December 2018, 5 search warrants have been executed by Strike Force detectives and 10 people have been arrested and charged in relation to a range of matters including ‘supply a prohibited drug of large commercial quantity’ and ‘knowingly participate in criminal group’.

“Investigations by Strike Force Castlestead continue and further arrests are anticipated.”

After being made aware of his overdose in early December, the NRL helped to arrange Mullen’s treatment in a Sydney rehab centre.
In 2017 Mullen, then Newcastle’s highest-paid player, was banned for four years after testing positive to a prohibited substance.

mozza91

Coach
Wow. Terrible news. Hope he’s going well in recovery.

As for the other stuff don’t want to comment too much without the full story but hanging around with people like Les Mason is never a good idea.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Just seen this on NRL 360.

Absolutely shattered and really hope he can get his life back on track.

mxlegend99

Referee
Its terrible the way his life has gone off track. Just randomly saw this and couldn't believe there was on thread in the main forum.

Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

I hope he gets through it. It's his responsibility but I empathise he's had a bad deal (no pun intended).
Some of the players still had contact with him and it's good to see the NRL concerned..

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It seems like another unfortunate example of a footballer struggling to deal with life after his playing career has finished, I imagine the way that it ended for Mullen didn’t help his mental state either. So sad.

Yosh

Coach
F#ck me... I thought this guy was gonna be the next Johns when he came through... He had so much class and talent... Wasted... Not blaming no one but a real pity...

Zoidberg

First Grade
Sad to hear. Was one of my favourite players throughout his whole time playing. I was so disappointed with what happened with the circumstances due to his injuries.
Really hope he can get his life on track. There is more to life than footy mate and it will get better.

Spot On

Coach
I clearly remember an interview he gave on Sterlo's show (Fox) a couple of years before the end of his career and said at the time his responses and demeanour was worrying. You could tell things were not right then.

I believe he was sharing a house with a former team mate at that time - brother of the bloke mentioned in the article.

Hope he has some decent people around him.

perverse

Referee
I believe he was sharing a house with a former team mate at that time - brother of the bloke mentioned in the article.
Really seems to have been his undoing. Mullos career, and now life it seems, has been quite the tragedy to this point. One of my favourite Knights of the past decade or more... such a shame.

I hope he gets the help he needs and can get his life back on track. It'd be nice if some of the Old Boys could rally for him a bit and give him some support.

Old dog

Juniors
Sad to hear this, obviously has/had some serious problems that he will overcome, will wait for investigation to be completed before deciding anything. Was a favourite of mine, very good player that some expected more than he gave.

Still Nutty

Juniors
What a tragic downward spiral for such a talented footballer and certainly one of my favourites as a Knights supporter - I hope:

1) for his sake, he wasn't involved in the more nefarious activities that have seen the others charged
2) he gets the help he needs to get clean
3) he gets the help and time he needs to stay clean

Knight Vision

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/kn...d/news-story/32251a6d3d16de70b0166c478434c14e

“To the best of my knowledge, none of our top 36 were at any of those parties, I think the reports aren’t accurate. I don’t know why they’re being reported. But it certainly doesn’t represent the facts,” Gardner said.

“They’ve also got the issue with Jarrod wrong. Jarrod did overdose, he did not overdose at the party, he was found at home by his family. I can only say to you again, what a tragedy for the family.”

Latest posts