What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

franklin2323

Immortal
Bit harsh to throw stones at people who say its a tv game when they dont even live in the same general area as the team they support like you do. I mean i agree that you should try and go to games, but to some its just a bridge too far (not just the spit hehehe) and a dollar too short, or have kids haha. And im sorry to break it to you, but they are kinda right, you dont miss much (of the game) if you watch it from your couch.

I would love like in my younger days to go to every game including interstate and NZ. Sadly work and kids now makes some timeslots impossible. i am still getting too 15 games this season.

I am fortunate to live 10 mins walk to Penrith others aren't so lucky. So they help where they can. Memberships and viewers going up is these sort of people

franklin2323

Immortal
When you have a catchment population of 500k-3million then you dont need everyone to be able to go. Just a very very small % of them. We just needs a bigger % than the current very very very small %!

1m people last year attended an NRL game in Sydney...That is a good effort

M2D2

Bench
That's kinda the point though. A lot of people have fairly legit reasons, it's just not possible to travel from Rouse Hill to Moore Park for example for some timeslots, or finances don't allow, etc etc

So why perpetuate this extra reason for people who DO live close by and don't really have any other excuse?
The NRL and clubs could tick off every typical fan complaint and make tickets dirt cheap but what's the point when in the end "ahh f**k it it's better on TV anyway"
The NRL will never tick off every typical fan complaint. Some conflict with each other haha.

I would love like in my younger days to go to every game including interstate and NZ. Sadly work and kids now makes some timeslots impossible. i am still getting too 15 games this season.

I am fortunate to live 10 mins walk to Penrith others aren't so lucky. So they help where they can. Memberships and viewers going up is these sort of people
Memberships are great. I usually only miss one cronulla home game a year due to sickness, and i go to half the panthers home games in a season.
But i have no kids, and membership is cheap as. To some its a real hard sell, and to others, they have to ask their wife. :p

Frailty

First Grade
I think it's important to note the crowds on the GC as an example of good stadium =/= better crowds.

Even the argument of central stadium policy as a way to improve crowds is misleading. Aside from all the differences between Melbourne and Sydney, the rate of growth of crowds remained steady during times where teams left traditional homes for the MCG or Marvel Stadium.

To ignore the barriers to attendance (TV coverage, travel times, cost) is just lazy. These are barriers that need to be accepted as something the game has to deal with.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Are you using two sets of books to count Thursdays?

R1, R7 (ANZAC Day), R10.

Three AAMI Park games on Thursday and one of them is because it's an event match.

There's a fourth Thursday night if you count an away game v Dragons in Wollongong.
yes you are right. my bad Still that is 3 home games I can`t get to this year cos of Thurs. thanks for the correction

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
GWS have a stadium ,an all seater AFL suited stadium ,something not afforded to some NRL clubs.Their crowds have been and continue to be overwhelmingly other teams.
As are Brisbane and the Suns.
The Storm did not get a =great stadium for quite a few years, and only because soccer was coming on board.
Anycase new stadium infrastructure in Sydney short and long term should greatly assist a growth in crowds. Parra stadium will be such an example.Which you have admitted will most likely be the case.

I agree crowds at Allianz have been ordinary but gee Thursday night,Friday 6 pm, you'd be lucky to catch a cold let alone a crowd there.

Wait, so we know what the demands of the government are (more than one team based in the stadium) but we are still surprised when only central grounds get funding?

Lets count: SFS - Tahs, SydFC, Rooster
WSS - Parra, wanderers, bunch of smaller comitments
ANZ - Every major rectangular game, Souths, Dogs.
AAMI - Storm, Rebels, 2 Soccer teams
MCG - 5 VFL teams
Etihad - 5 VFL teams

So basically, EVERY major redevelopment in the past 50 years has been exclusively for stadiums with multiple teams. Yet Sydney NRL clubs still think they can expect funding for a suburban shack that only they play out of.....

Wait, so we know what the demands of the government are (more than one team based in the stadium) but we are still surprised when only central grounds get funding?

MCG - 5 VFL teams
Etihad - 5 VFL teams

So basically, EVERY major redevelopment in the past 50 years has been exclusively for stadiums with multiple teams. Yet Sydney NRL clubs still think they can expect funding for a suburban shack that only they play out of.....
Yes, so?

Lol kidding

taipan

Referee

MCG - 5 VFL teams
Etihad - 5 VFL teams

That is obvious.Never suggested otherwise.But Melbourne had to wait quite some time at the old Olympic Park, whereas the AFL teams in the North got more than lucky stadium wise.

Then perhaps it goes against Govt money spent at the GC stadium for the Titans for one team.

.I've always stated there has been incompetence and waste by clubs ,not to have decent infrastructure .

Sydney is not Melbourne for a start, nor Brisbane.The geography for a start and spread of the city is far greater than Melbourne.Their transport services to Melbourne MCG/Etihad/AAMI
If you had a train service express that went direct from Penrith to City/Allianz /ANZ.
A train service from Manly and Cronulla connected to these close at hand railway/stadiums,then we wouldn't be arguing.If Manly was at North Sydney a different story.

Today Richard Hinds an AFL journo noted, if the AFL hadn't put in $10m to stuff up the planned rectangular reconfigurations for ANZ,who knows we would not have needed extra money now.

I am also not that dumb to admit now the money is being spent on ANZ/Allianz,that outlying clubs will have to organise their own financing.
But I repeat comparing Melbourne with Sydney is not the same.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think it's important to note the crowds on the GC as an example of good stadium =/= better crowds.

Even the argument of central stadium policy as a way to improve crowds is misleading. Aside from all the differences between Melbourne and Sydney, the rate of growth of crowds remained steady during times where teams left traditional homes for the MCG or Marvel Stadium.

To ignore the barriers to attendance (TV coverage, travel times, cost) is just lazy. These are barriers that need to be accepted as something the game has to deal with.

GC is a terrible example for the suburb debate, they never playes in a suburb. If they had, they might have averaged 8k over their lifetime instead of 15.5k they have achieved.

The prefect example is actually the Storm. At the old Olympic park, they averaged 11k that even includes their golden age from 06-09. Skip forward to AAMI, they have an overall average of 14k and if we only talk about the last 4 years their acerage is 17k!!!

Same for the Broncos. With the opening on Suncorp, their average jusmped from 20k to 30k almost overnight.

My hope is that the new WSS will see Parra and the rest pull in such huge numbers, it will put the debate to bed...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
yes you are right. my bad Still that is 3 home games I can`t get to this year cos of Thurs. thanks for the correction
Still another 8 that you can get to. You can't genuinely expect teams to avoid a slot like that, especially one that sits at the top of the ladder so frequently.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While it's only for reserve grade and women's comp, 4 or 5 suburban venues have been promised upgrades in Melbourne from the last election.

footy75

Bench
I usually drive from Adelaide to Melbourne for Storm games at least 6 times a year. The nrl have stuffed that up with us playing 5 thurs night games this season.

if u book early u can get return flights for like 120-200

isn't that the same as what u spend on fuel and 45 minutes as opposed to 8 hours

I´m just curious

TheFrog

Coach
They might expect it but they aint gettin it. Local ratepayers have to pay twice, for their own ground and the big ones. Blowed if I know how Ayers won in Penrith the other day.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Are we suggesting...

10k showed up Wests V Warriors, but if it was played at a shiny new Homebush more people show up.

15K showed up to Sharks V Gold Coast, but if that was played a shiny new SFS more people show up.

We don't fill the current grounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are we suggesting...

10k showed up Wests V Warriors, but if it was played at a shiny new Homebush more people show up.

15K showed up to Sharks V Gold Coast, but if that was played a shiny new SFS more people show up.

It’s not so much those games, but maybe cronullla v st George played on a Sunday afternoon at a shiny new allianz draws 25k instead of 16k? The trick to increasing crowd avg’s Is to boost the big drawing games to over compensate for the low drawing ones.

Tigers v warriors played at WSS with promotion and cheap tickets for Kiwis could have drawn twice the crowd.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Are we suggesting...

Maybe not, but theyd be great candidates for the “Back To The Suburbs” games once or twice a year.

Meanwhile, the Sydney derbies would actually get good crowds.

This is a perfect reason to move into central stadiums...

Either fans cannot access the ground or they dont like the facilities. OR your team is just not very popular.

Either way, its a perfect reason to END the suburban experment.