What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Stallion

First Grade
That's ironic coming from you, even the most ardent Gosford fan would have been turned off by your perpetual Bears are needed to stop the Union takeover BS.

Id say the split on here is 90-10, those who think expansion needs ot be Brisbane2 and Perth then NZ and Adelaide compared to those who think bringing in another NSW team is a good idea. There are also plenty of people, without vested interests who think the suburban mentality of the bulk of the comp being in Sydney is holding the game back.

I've been at this a expansion lark lot longer than you lol

Pretty sure the commission aren't on here, so me getting anyone offside is going to make zero difference to the chances of a Perth NRL team lol.

That's not bullshit you idiot! That's happening. You would deny the Holocaust. You are so dumb! Even when it's happening you can't take it in ! Hopeless!

flippikat

Bench
Bigger is better for a sport like rugby-league.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Stallion but Australia is not the USA, and the inference that the NRL can just keep adding teams beyond club 20 is absurd & unwieldy.

We need a top tier presence in all the major population centres (that pulls the TV and merchandising money), alongside grassroots pathways for kids that want to play our game- whether that kid is in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide or Christchurch.

Stallion

First Grade
Sorry to burst your bubble, Stallion but Australia is not the USA, and the inference that the NRL can just keep adding teams beyond club 20 is absurd & unwieldy.

We need a top tier presence in all the major population centres (that pulls the TV and merchandising money), alongside grassroots pathways for kids that want to play our game- whether that kid is in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide or Christchurch.

Tell that to the AFL!

adamkungl

Immortal
There is a negative 100% chance of the Bears coming back in or near Sydney unless Manly drop
There will never ever ever ever ever ever be another Bears v Manly game in the NRL

That's ironic coming from you, even the most ardent Gosford fan would have been turned off by your perpetual Bears are needed to stop the Union takeover BS.

Id say the split on here is 90-10, those who think expansion needs ot be Brisbane2 and Perth then NZ and Adelaide compared to those who think bringing in another NSW team is a good idea. There are also plenty of people, without vested interests who think the suburban mentality of the bulk of the comp being in Sydney is holding the game back.

I've been at this a expansion lark lot longer than you lol

Pretty sure the commission aren't on here, so me getting anyone offside is going to make zero difference to the chances of a Perth NRL team lol.
Reckon you are pretty close on this PR. My only concern is Adelaide really. Just can’t see a team being successful there.

Gosford needs to be adopted by the Eagles or Roosters better than they already do. If Bears want to jump in bed with Roosters then I reckon that could be done. Just don’t try and change the roosters colours or name lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm aware of that. People like Benji Marshal believe all Sydney clubs should stay put. And he's right. The damage to codes would be monstrous . You may not northern Sydney has been weakened significantly rugby-league wise since the Bears were kicked out. These clubs play a crucial role in Sydney. Benji knows this. You don't!

Brad Fittler thinks its inevitable. That's the thing with opinions. Everyone has one!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reckon you are pretty close on this PR. My only concern is Adelaide really. Just can’t see a team being successful there.

Gosford needs to be adopted by the Eagles or Roosters better than they already do. If Bears want to jump in bed with Roosters then I reckon that could be done. Just don’t try and change the roosters colours or name lol

I see no reason why an Adelaide couldn't be successful. It would take a long term strategy and a relocation would be a safer option but there is enough green grass showing to suggest that with some effort and investment we could once again see an Adelaide side in the NRL. Lets be honesty IF we do get expansion in 2022/23 its likely to be at least another 10-15 years till we see it again so not like we are talking short term goals here!

Stallion

First Grade
Because the AFL will never have a team based outside of Australia. Not in any lifetime or reality can I see them getting a team even in NZ.. or anywhere except for Australia.

Lol. So ignore the true heartland of rugby league in Australia? How dumb!

Stallion

First Grade
Because the AFL will never have a team based outside of Australia. Not in any lifetime or reality can I see them getting a team even in NZ.. or anywhere except for Australia.

Ofcourse! You still don't weaken established heartland areas in Australia. The expansion can occur without carving up well established clubs! Additional clubs are the way to go . Otherwise it's infighting and torment for fans & further weakening of the code in its largest populated region .

Reactions: siv

mongoose

Coach
If ever you needed proof that the NRL simply has to grow into new markets, the AFL annual report is out. Their revenue was $278million more than the NRL's in 2018!

All those annual reports are BS. Did you know the Lions usually make more revenue than the Broncos? odd for a club that is perpetually in debt!

Perth Red

Post Whore
All those annual reports are BS. Did you know the Lions usually make more revenue than the Broncos? odd for a club that is perpetually in debt!

Theyre audited financial accounts, they are legal documents.

And the lions do have a bigger consolidated revenue than broncos, slightly. That is largely due to getting $10mill more in their football grant and a slightly bigger revenue pokie club. Broncos generate much more from football operations than the lions.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Totally different scenario. You disrespect the rugby league way too much. YOU ARE A FOOL!

Please explain why former first tier north sydney rugby union clubs can be succesful from the third teir based on nostalgia and suburban grounds but RL can not replicate this from the second teir.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Precisely. it's simple.. let me explain it for the "lets just keep every Sydney team.. no.. lets even add more" proponents.

I'm a league fan in Wellington, New Zealand. A decent NZ city, with a good local league scene. Followed the Warriors since 1995.

Currently my only options to go to an NRL game are 1 game per year that the Warriors take here.. or spending time/money to travel all the way up to Auckland, or spending even more money & time to go to Australia for an away game.

If an NRL club started up here, you betcha I'd go to the games. Plenty of others too. That grows the game.

Meanwhile every weekend I see a city who has 9 suburban clubs.. multiple games per weekend.. and fans that can't even be bothered going across-town to attend games featuring "their" team... and this has only happened via a poker-machine law quirk of history!

It's as if Super Rugby was Wellington, Northern United (Porirua), Tawa, Poneke, Avalon, Petone, Paremata-Plimmerton, Hutt Old Boys Marist, Marist St Pats (all Wellington Rugby Union clubs).. plus Auckland Blues, Canterbury Crusaders, Otago Highlanders, Waikato Chiefs... and New South Wales Waratahs as the only Aussie team.

Now, how does that sound? Crazy? Now you get it.

Well mate, I for one am sorry that underperforming clubs in an oversaturated market are taking up spots in the league that the likes of Perth, Adelaide and Wellington could have with the extra bitter sweet pill that these expansion areas have a much higher ceiling for growth than some smaller, poorly run, poor performing sides.

In addition to stiffling expansion, these smaller, poorly run, poor performing sides are holding back the big boys in Sydney (Souths, Dragons, Dogs, Eels). These clubs should be beheamoths of Australian sport, drawing massive crowds, memberships and sponsors - and they need the room in their city to grow into that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You pathetic piece of piss! Don't you understand that by trying to derail another worthy "addition" to this competition., you hurt other hopeful clubs causes! Incredibly dumb!

Let me get this right @Perth Red is a pathetic piece of piss because he doesn't agree with your views.... Seems reasonable...