What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 QLD intrust cup standard and popularity.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Gentlemen, I’m really starting to enjoy the QLD cup now it’s being shown live on sundays. Does anyone know if the money and sponsorship is increasing ?, is the popularity of the state competitions improving ?.

What do the state competitions need to do to become a strong force underneath the NRL?. How do we attract crowds and more money.

I’d like the state competitions to become more professional.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Unfortunately, it is what it is. The media shows it scant respect and it has probably settled at a level that hasn't changed too much either way for some years.

The old traditional BRL clubs, particularly those with tribal bases like Redcliffe and Wynnum, have a reasonably large and passionate following. Easts are backed by a large Leagues Club as well while Norths and Souths battle away with smaller fan bases.

Burleigh and Tweed to a lesser extent have parochial followers being long established clubs in their own right. Ipswich and all the northern teams are up against the local competitions for supporters but most seem to have reasonable following. Less so for Sunshine Coast.

PNG are in a class of their own with a whole nation plus every ex-pat in Qld supporting them.

While journos use essentially derogatory terms like "park football" and calling it "reserve grade", it is hard to generate wider interest in the Queensland Cup.

Souths and Wynnum played trial matches against Broncos teams largely made up of players who will be Q Cup rather than NRL players this year. All the news reports talked about who did what for the "Broncos" - not one player from Souths or Wynnum got a mention in any report before or after the trials. Because some Q Cup level players had Broncos jerseys on their backs, they were important and the opposition wasn't worth mentioning.

The Partisan

Unfortunately, it is what it is. The media shows it scant respect and it has probably settled at a level that hasn't changed too much either way for some years.

The old traditional BRL clubs, particularly those with tribal bases like Redcliffe and Wynnum, have a reasonably large and passionate following. Easts are backed by a large Leagues Club as well while Norths and Souths battle away with smaller fan bases.

Burleigh and Tweed to a lesser extent have parochial followers being long established clubs in their own right. Ipswich and all the northern teams are up against the local competitions for supporters but most seem to have reasonable following. Less so for Sunshine Coast.

PNG are in a class of their own with a whole nation plus every ex-pat in Qld supporting them.

While journos use essentially derogatory terms like "park football" and calling it "reserve grade", it is hard to generate wider interest in the Queensland Cup.

Souths and Wynnum played trial matches against Broncos teams largely made up of players who will be Q Cup rather than NRL players this year. All the news reports talked about who did what for the "Broncos" - not one player from Souths or Wynnum got a mention in any report before or after the trials. Because some Q Cup level players had Broncos jerseys on their backs, they were important and the opposition wasn't worth mentioning.

Well thought out response XXXXCap ! You'd swear all these guys who play in the NRL just suddenly appeared out of nowhere such is the lack of acknowledgement to their road to the top. I certainly remember watching the likes of Michael Morgan, Greg Inglis and co plying their trade in the Q Cup.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I have mentioned before on here about the day in 2004 when we went to Bishop Park to see Wynnum play Norths. The Devils had a late replacement, a bloke I hadn't heard of from Colts wearing #19 jersey and playing in the centres.

As we walked out the gate after the game, I turned to my sons and said "that bloke could be the best footballer I've ever seen". His name was Greg Inglis and he was 17 years old making his Queensland Cup debut.