What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Manly rd3

Iafeta

Referee
Well now, I've had enough of lurking that I decided to come out of retirement.

Whats new? absolutely nothing lmao

Okay..okay I will simply say I can still watch a game by the warriors and know who wont pass, who will drop it and who lets in more trys than he can score before it actually happens...sad really.

Gidday mate. Great to see you around!!

Yep I feel this squad is really reminiscent of the squads from the late 90s. Bunch of fringe first graders coupled with players past their best, and a coach who is absolutely a Kiwis legend but sadly short of it week in week out at NRL level.

Iafeta

Referee
Lol at having Beale on the bench and then not hooking Hiku or Kata

Kearney is a joke coach, Warriors a joke club. They've extended Kearney they should lock in Hiku, Blair, Kata, Tevaga now for extensions

In fairness to Blair, he was there with Kata chasing back on one of their long breaks and he did put Luke over. Lack of involvement anywhere else though. He needs to be in the middle and stay there. Not float to the right. The one thing he supposedly brings is leading line speed and mongrel and there’s none of that in the middle. We are massively passive.

But yes, the Kearney extension is ridiculously short sighted and undeserved, and the aforementioned players will undoubtedly get extensions based on that standard.

JJ

Immortal
In fairness to Blair, he was there with Kata chasing back on one of their long breaks and he did put Luke over. Lack of involvement anywhere else though. He needs to be in the middle and stay there. Not float to the right. The one thing he supposedly brings is leading line speed and mongrel and there’s none of that in the middle. We are massively passive.

But yes, the Kearney extension is ridiculously short sighted and undeserved, and the aforementioned players will undoubtedly get extensions based on that standard.
Problem with Blair is he's paid about three times what he's worth. He's ordinary

Iafeta

Referee
Absolutely. The irony is Johnson is currently demolishing the Cowboys behind a pack worth their money. Yet he had to go and Blair can continue on his monstrosity of a salary unabated and unquestioned.

guten_targ

Juniors
Gidday mate. Great to see you around!!

Yep I feel this squad is really reminiscent of the squads from the late 90s. Bunch of fringe first graders coupled with players past their best, and a coach who is absolutely a Kiwis legend but sadly short of it week in week out at NRL level.

Nice to see you still ply your trade old son.

I shake my head in wonder at times as to the thinking behind the team make up. I for one can see glaring issues that never get addressed, I know there are supposedly no better players than that which is picked but dear god, Kata? I mean for 3 seasons now he has consistently allowed in more points down his side of the channel than any other player since Francis bloody Meli. Hiku I rate the better player, but beale should be on the ball park ahead of both. Kata just gets caught in two minds and ends up patting the opposition player on the shoulder as he lets him past. did it last week, last year and the year before.

Anyway enough griping, I need some cancer to calm the nerves down before I get stuck here

guten_targ

Juniors
Problem with Blair is he's paid about three times what he's worth. He's ordinary

sadly, Blair is a go to guy that cant do his job because others lack the spark to put the opposition in two minds, one out running can be effective if said person is running with another forward making the opposition wonder if there is a pass coming, seeing a one dimensional play just invites the opposition to not have to worry about 2nd or 3rd phase play.

vvvrulz

Coach
NRL game stats
Missed tackles
Harris 6
Hiku 5
Green 4
Keighran 4
Passi 3
Luke 3
Blair 3
Kata 3
RTS 3
Fus 2
Papali'i 2
Jazz 2
Burr 1

This is absolutely appalling, 13 players missing tackles at on average three each! Luke missed a whole half too.

Harris definitely isn’t on full tank, and in that case what’s he even doing out there.

vvvrulz

Coach
Absolutely. The irony is Johnson is currently demolishing the Cowboys behind a pack worth their money. Yet he had to go and Blair can continue on his monstrosity of a salary unabated and unquestioned.

Princess doing wonders behind a pack worth their money, what a concept!

No no, let’s get more wing-forwards and Todd Lowries out there.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Won’t rub anything in guys but will offer a few thoughts

The pack was absolutely dreadful outside of Afoa, and I thought the 13 offered some good things as well

The boy in the 6 looks out of his depth, but I won’t smash him too hard because his forwards had nothing. His kicking and option taking didn’t look great and defensively struggled

Green is a solid NRL player, but performs his best as a number 2 who lets the star do his thing while he tidies up the steering the side around part of the game. He doesn’t have enough in his game to be a go to player

Hard to fathom that the edge was getting absolutely destroyed and no change was made there at all from Kearney, especially with a back on the bench. Des had obviously found the chink and given the perfect game plan to the lads and they were able to find success there for the entire 80mins, the early warning shot was fired when they spread wide on then 3rd tackle inside their own 20 and made a big break and it amazed me that it never tightened up at all

vvvrulz

Coach
Good points, all true.

. Des had obviously found the chink and given the perfect game plan to the lads and they were able to find success there for the entire 80mins, the early warning shot was fired when they spread wide on then 3rd tackle inside their own 20 and made a big break and it amazed me that it never tightened up at all

I’m astonished the rest of the NRL hasn’t fully clued into this (barring a few exceptions - Storm last year...). You’d think circles around Hiku and Kata is the only thing on the whiteboard. Ken is hopeless too and Fus alarmingly is phoning in his part.

Dessie basically telegraphed his plan and as you say we stood mouth agape and let them hump us. Farah and Benji knew what they were doing too, and boy this season will get ugly if the rest get the memo.

Iron Lion

Juniors
I was wrong. I admit it.

I was so optimistic. It was miss-placed.

This is a shit team with one stand out player. RTS.

Blair, Harris and Luke waste of salary cap. Offer NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING. Paying for NOTHING.

Isaiah Papalii is not NRL quality. This guy looks a fringe reserve grade player. How does he get game time? He's SHIT.

Warriors have no players who can cause carnage.

Fusitua most overrated, overhyped, overpaid winger in Warriors history.

Kata - nothing to say. Hopeless.

Finally. Kearney. Drops Sao off the bench for Beale. Doesn't play Beale. Inept as F@ck.

jaseg

Juniors

Kearney is a joke coach, Warriors a joke club. They've extended Kearney they should lock in Hiku, Blair, Kata, Tevaga now for extensions

Kata should've been taken off immediately after he failed to chase on one of those early tries. Can't have that shit when you've got a guy who literally plays your position sitting on the bench when normally you wouldn't have a centre there.. just allowing shit standards to stay at the club, by letting him play on at that point.

vvvrulz

Coach
just allowing shit standards to stay at the club, by letting him play on at that point.

I think Kata and a few others have flown way past the point of promoting shit standards.

Our club has become an invitation for coasting, get on the good books of Mooks and you're guaranteed a solid time at top grade no matter how one-dimensional you are. At any other club Kata would either be thrice the player or not a player at all.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
25th season of bullshit
Well, were not REALLY supposed to be that good this year. The process delivery date is this year but we've lost a lot of good players and Kearney doesnt pick a lot of good players. Before the preseason trials, we weren't a team that anyone was discussing. And now we see why lol. I think some of us got carried away over a few promising preseason game wins and the thrashing of the Bulldogs in round 1. Not me though, check my posts. I said wait till we were tested. I never thought we'd lose to Manly though. Manly?? FFS!

Iron Lion

Juniors
Well, were not REALLY supposed to be that good this year. The process delivery date is this year but we've lost a lot of good players and Kearney doesnt pick a lot of good players. Before the preseason trials, we weren't a team that anyone was discussing. And now we see why lol. I think some of us got carried away over a few promising preseason game wins and the thrashing of the Bulldogs in round 1. Not me though, check my posts. I said wait till we were tested. I never thought we'd lose to Manly though. Manly?? FFS!

I jumped the gun.

The signs were great. We looked big, dangerous and fit.

We are so far off the pace it's mind-blowing.

Kearney with Beale on the bench is the cherry on the burnt cake.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Said pre-season that my biggest concern was our lack of pace. We're the slowest team in the comp, maybe the Dogs are the only team that could challenge that. You can't win without speed. Nothing unsettles defences like pace, it's what makes them make bad decisions.

Watching Maumalo get run down by DCE and Thompson, RTS making a break with no Warriors player within 20m of supporting him, and at the other end Turbo and DCE combine to run away for two tries.

Then there's our mental processing and our reaction speed. Whether it's a loose ball that two players stare at each other while the opposition dive on it, or the deer in the headlights, flat-footed, staggered defence whenever the opposition get an offload or quick play the ball, everything we do from physical speed to mental processing/reactions is way too slow to win NRL games consistently.

Our complete disregard for speed is a large part of our problems and on top of that we just gave away our fastest player. Brilliant.

Rich102

Staff member

You think they haven't already?

Reactions: JJ