What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji NSW Cup Bid & Redcliffe Dolphins NRL News Update from Petero Civoneciva

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I was on the Gold Coast yesterday and Petero was making an appearance in a Telstra shop on behalf of the NRL in his ambassador role. I had a chat to him for about 15 mins, mainly about his involvement with the Fiji NSW Cup bid and the Redcliffe Dolphins.

On Fiji's NSW Cup Bid:
He said that they will be playing next year. The Australian Federal Government's financial support was the last piece of the financial puzzle. in his opinion it will be massive for RL in Fiji and for the pathways that the local players have.

On Redcliffe possibly entering the NRL:
He said that he is still involved with the Dolphins and could confirm nothing other than the club has the ambition to be in the NRL and that they certainly have the financial backing to pull it off.

Awesome news on FIji - look for it to be announced soon. With regards to Redcliffe, I'd imagine the financial clout will be very attractive to the NRL when the time comes to award the second NRL licence in Brisbane.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Love Fiji and the Fijians,Petero is a great human being and rugby league is fortunate he is involved.
Rapt he can go ahead now with the NSW Cup bid.His hard work has paid off.
Redcliffe I have no issues should they get in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great new re Fiji, so much untapped talent there for NRL when you look at how good the few that are coming though are doing. Its funny the NRL talks about lack of depth in talent, then invests very little in addressing it. Last year they cut NZRL funding, you know the country that supplies over 30% of NRL players!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Love Fiji and the Fijians,Petero is a great human being and rugby league is fortunate he is involved.
Rapt he can go ahead now with the NSW Cup bid.His hard work has paid off.
Redcliffe I have no issues should they get in.

He's a really good bloke - he wouldn't hurt a fly despite being close to 2m tall and weighing over 110kg.

Cdd

Juniors
Massive news for Fiji. This along with PNG Hunters is fantastic for the game. We need more Fijians and PNG Hunters players making it to the top NRL teams.

Hopefully youngsters in fiji will start to see RL as their main pathway to professional sport.

On Redcliffe, maybe if they’re so well funded we could stick them in AS WELL as a Brisbane team. There’s no doubt Queensland can maintain more teams.

greenBV4

Bench
Massive news for Fiji. This along with PNG Hunters is fantastic for the game. We need more Fijians and PNG Hunters players making it to the top NRL teams.

Hopefully youngsters in fiji will start to see RL as their main pathway to professional sport.

On Redcliffe, maybe if they’re so well funded we could stick them in AS WELL as a Brisbane team. There’s no doubt Queensland can maintain more teams.

They probably could, but the issue is the lack of spots available for expansion. Say that in the foreseeable future there is only 2 expansion spots (as I don't think 20 will happen anytime soon), would you give both to Brisbane? And have potential teams in Perth or New Zealand miss out?

Re Fiji:
This will be awesome for the game, and great for player depth. Couldn't complain as a player getting to go to Fiji every other week either

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Just look at the increased numbers of Fijians playing in the NRL, Canterbury cup and Queensland cup even before the Canterbury cup Fijian franchise has kicked a ball.

Could potentially be massive news for both Fijian RL and international RL leading to an increased professional talent pool for the national Fiji RL side to choose from.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Just look at the increased numbers of Fijians playing in the NRL, Canterbury cup and Queensland cup even before the Canterbury cup Fijian franchise has kicked a ball.

Could potentially be massive news for both Fijian RL and international RL leading to an increased professional talent pool for the national Fiji RL side to choose from.

It's good that the Hunter's and this Fijian side will be in the second teir. Not only is it a more appropriate level but it will ensure that they will always exist to serve the national team and not get caught up in winning premierships as top teir clubs do (Catalan - prime example).

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's good that the Hunter's and this Fijian side will be in the second teir. Not only is it a more appropriate level but it will ensure that they will always exist to serve the national team and not get caught up in winning premierships as top teir clubs do (Catalan - prime example).

I wonder if it will be that effective a pathway? Most nrl clubs are looking for the uber talented 18-20 year olds, not the 25 year old nsw Cup players. It’s great for the profile of the game in those counties but as a feeder to nrl it will be Interesting to see how many move out of these sides into nrl set ups.

greenBV4

Bench
I wonder if it will be that effective a pathway? Most nrl clubs are looking for the uber talented 18-20 year olds, not the 25 year old nsw Cup players. It’s great for the profile of the game in those counties but as a feeder to nrl it will be Interesting to see how many move out of these sides into nrl set ups.
If they end up signing on as a feeder for a club that could provide a huge amount of talent for said club

Cdd

Juniors
Once the pathway is embedded I don’t see any reason why NRL clubs wont start picking up the most talented 18-20 year olds from Fiji and PNG.

Just look at New Zealand, most young players don’t even consider playing for the Warriors, they are picked up directly and end up in NSW or Queensland at a pretty young age.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once the pathway is embedded I don’t see any reason why NRL clubs wont start picking up the most talented 18-20 year olds from Fiji and PNG.

Just look at New Zealand, most young players don’t even consider playing for the Warriors, they are picked up directly and end up in NSW or Queensland at a pretty young age.

Agreed, that’s certainly what’s happening with our Pirates Jnrs.
But then it might be better to have elite under 15’s set up with Sg ball and an under 20’s side if the main aim is to develop nrl talent?

Cdd

Juniors
Agreed, that’s certainly what’s happening with our Pirates Jnrs.
But then it might be better to have elite under 15’s set up with Sg ball and an under 20’s side if the main aim is to develop nrl talent?
I agree but the money for that will come from the elite level.

PNG Hunters, Fiji, and Perth will all hopefully have second tier sides who can bring in a level of revenue required to run a full pathway.

Fiji in particular will be an NRL player making machine if they get it right.

With the lure of playing in the NRL they should be poaching the best RU players and sevens players at 17/18

Walter sobchak

First Grade

PNG Hunters, Fiji, and Perth will all hopefully have second tier sides who can bring in a level of revenue required to run a full pathway.

With the lure of playing in the NRL they should be poaching the best RU players and sevens players at 17/18
This. NRL clubs should be looking at the Fijian u20’s 15aside team as well as the schoolboys sides for future potential players.

The potential of Fijians being exported and playing in the NRL must be second only to NZ.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

That's a good point and I think it highlights why both the Hunters and Fiji need an under 20's side that play in the QLD / NSW under 20's comps with the other state league sides.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Second tier doesn't generate money, it costs money! There is no NRL club running a second tier side that doesnt have it funded from pokies, something those three areas dont have.

The current grant for second tier is around $350k a year, the costs of running a side are around $1-1.5million.

Cdd

Juniors
Second tier doesn't generate money, it costs money! There is no NRL club running a second tier side that doesnt have it funded from pokies, something those three areas dont have.

The current grant for second tier is around $350k a year, the costs of running a side are around $1-1.5million.

A second tier could generate some cash if it was done on a bigger scale.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I agree the second teir could generate revenue if done correctly. Ratings, subscriptions, streaming numbers, memberships and crowds could rival the NBL and they successfully run a professional comp Australia wide and with one New Zealand side.

Latest posts