What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxtel faces debt milestone amid streaming TV push

Generalzod

Immortal
How will this effect the NRL deal??

The true picture of Foxtel's financial health is about to become clearer, with a key debt milestone looming next week.

Foxtel's financial position has been the subject of intense media industry speculation since the News Corp and Telstra-owned company engaged investment banks Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and Citigroup in early March to help it raise billions of dollars in fresh debt funding.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...e-amid-streaming-tv-push-20190331-p519fg.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it came down to them only buying only one major sports product in Australia it would be interesting to see if it would be AFL or NRL? NRL is the more popular but we know News Ltd still has a stick up its backside about its relationship with NRL..

Looking at the ever increasing growth of Netflix, Stan etc you would think Fox in its current PTV format is on borrowed time and will go the way of DVD's and CD's.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7681-netflix-stan-foxtel-fetch-youtube-amazon-pay-tv-june-2018-201808020452

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
If it came down to them only buying only one major sports product in Australia it would be interesting to see if it would be AFL or NRL? NRL is the more popular but we know News Ltd still has a stick up its backside about its relationship with NRL..

Looking at the ever increasing growth of Netflix, Stan etc you would think Fox in its current PTV format is on borrowed time and will go the way of DVD's and CD's.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7681-netflix-stan-foxtel-fetch-youtube-amazon-pay-tv-june-2018-201808020452

The other question is Stokes (7) and Murdoch (Fox) have been catching up and rumors of a merger have been floated. Which makes sense after News Ltd missed out on 10. Therefore, it would potentially mean a 7/fox, 9/fairfax, 10/cbs with streamers Netflix, amazon, Apple.

When the afl has nothing else to promote for their 2023 deal, it leaves the Nrl in a really good position

Perth Red

Post Whore
The other question is Stokes (7) and Murdoch (Fox) have been catching up and rumors of a merger have been floated. Which makes sense after News Ltd missed out on 10. Therefore, it would potentially mean a 7/fox, 9/fairfax, 10/cbs with streamers Netflix, amazon, Apple.

When the afl has nothing else to promote for their 2023 deal, it leaves the Nrl in a really good position

They still have a regular Thursday or Monday night, evening GF etc if the clubs would wear the loss of revenue from fans. TBF I'm not sure they need much more than their current revenue, it is massive already. What else can they spend it on, more womens teams? More Auskick programs?
Clubs of both codes will want a grant increase but I dont think either code will see the % jump in media deal they have enjoyed over the last decade.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
They still have a regular Thursday or Monday night, evening GF etc if the clubs would wear the loss of revenue from fans. TBF I'm not sure they need much more than their current revenue, it is massive already. What else can they spend it on, more womens teams? More Auskick programs?
Clubs of both codes will want a grant increase but I dont think either code will see the % jump in media deal they have enjoyed over the last decade.

I agree with you about he afls position and also the fact that neither sport will get a large % increase on the Aus broadcast deal. But the afl don’t have anything more to offer the broadcasters bar more money for women’s teams.
The Nrl, they have 2 expansion teams to bring it to 18 teams just like the afl but with more viewers, Aus touch comp, a potential 9’s comp (internationals) plus for the first time a structured international calendar. How would that not increase Nrls coffers.

How will this effect the NRL deal??

The true picture of Foxtel's financial health is about to become clearer, with a key debt milestone looming next week.

Foxtel's financial position has been the subject of intense media industry speculation since the News Corp and Telstra-owned company engaged investment banks Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and Citigroup in early March to help it raise billions of dollars in fresh debt funding.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...e-amid-streaming-tv-push-20190331-p519fg.html

Is this part of the same company that paid over the odds to screen fumbleball to spite Rugby League? :D

Starkers

Bench
they've got 4 years to restructure before they worry about AFL and NRL rights again. the interesting part will be super rugby negotiations beginning probably late this year and going into mid next year. i can't see them paying for it, but hey, they've f**ked it up before too.

taipan

Referee
Is this part of the same company that paid over the odds to screen fumbleball to spite Rugby League? :D

As El Presidente Rupert would say" AFL is our preferred sport, it's national and we will do our utmost to promote it in the Northern States".

Meaning actually "I've got the sh*ts the NRL tried to negotiate behind my back ,to another outlet, no one (repeat no one )outsmarts me,Therefore out of my extremely deep pockets, (in which Jerry Hall is also now dipping)I will seek my revenge, by providing Vic fumble ton with an extra $500m to do as they wish."

As El Presidente Rupert would say" AFL is our preferred sport, it's national and we will do our utmost to promote it in the Northern States".

Meaning actually "I've got the sh*ts the NRL tried to negotiate behind my back ,to another outlet, no one (repeat no one )outsmarts me,Therefore out of my extremely deep pockets, (in which Jerry Hall is also now dipping)I will seek my revenge, by providing Vic fumble ton with an extra $500m to do as they wish."
On reflection is was a huge mistake on uncle Rupert's part and its costing him big time, but he''s never going to admit to that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
they've got 4 years to restructure before they worry about AFL and NRL rights again. the interesting part will be super rugby negotiations beginning probably late this year and going into mid next year. i can't see them paying for it, but hey, they've f**ked it up before too.

More like 2-3, the TV negotiations, if last two deals are anything to go by, will begin around late 2021. Interestingly NRL will get a 12 month jump on AFL as theirs is running a year longer, not sure if that will be a positive or not?

DC_fan

Coach
I have subscribed to Foxtel for around 25 years now. Where once I had the full package, now I only have limited access.

I wonder how much that has cost me in that time.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

I have my doubts about Murdoch. Years ago he thought our sport was that good he tried to take it over. He won’t be made to look stupid ...ever! Yes he stated his position at the press conference back then but I also think when the time comes he will let the afl know that he looked after them during this tv deal so they should reciprocate the favor. I hope I’m right.

Latest posts