What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euan Aitken

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I must admit that was a much better showing from Aitken last night....Im still not 100% convinced hes our best centre option but if he can produce more damaging runs, learn that he has wingers outside of him and read his defence better then hopefully he will become a more consistent player....at least against The Donkeys he made some steps in the right direction

Paddles

Juniors
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am surprised by the universal praise of Aitken. He did not have a great game. He ran the ball wonderfully, but that was never his problem. He is a super runner of the ball. But he is a constant liability in defence, and does not control that side like a good centre needs to. Evidence:

The Ravalawa intercept/knockdown in the third minute - Aitken was caught on his heels and the overlap developed (not on the highlights)
Sprinting out of the line here (although they just held on): Broncos try #3 - sprinting out of the line for the Glenn try (this was a great kick but the wrong choice) Isaako bombed try, bad call
Brisbane were beaten in the middle so didn't hit that side enough, but Melb and Easts will. Ponga likely will. That spot needs to go to Lomax sooner rather than later. It's tough but Aitken will need to reinvent himself as a winger (I know that has failed in the past) or a bench forward that can play centre/backrow.

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors

I am surprised by the universal praise of Aitken. He did not have a great game. He ran the ball wonderfully, but that was never his problem. He is a super runner of the ball. But he is a constant liability in defence, and does not control that side like a good centre needs to. Evidence:

The Ravalawa intercept/knockdown in the third minute - Aitken was caught on his heels and the overlap developed (not on the highlights)
Sprinting out of the line here (although they just held on): Broncos try #3 - sprinting out of the line for the Glenn try (this was a great kick but the wrong choice) Isaako bombed try, bad call
Brisbane were beaten in the middle so didn't hit that side enough, but Melb and Easts will. Ponga likely will. That spot needs to go to Lomax sooner rather than later. It's tough but Aitken will need to reinvent himself as a winger (I know that has failed in the past) or a bench forward that can play centre/backrow.

Good first post & I agree 100%.
We will have better centres eventually.

Euan looks small but runs hard & straight & does rely on tacklers falling off, or being put into a hole, as was the case with the offload which created space.

Weird that he can’t improve his reads in defence. That should be a given by now, considering the time & extraordinary opportunities he’s had in spite of lacklustre form over many years now.

In the real world of nonpartisan selections no one would choose a Chosen One over Lomax - especially now with his
goalkicking.

I won’t be surprised if Waterboy leaves him out of the 17 though

But the future is coming

Despite the resistance of old ways & teamsheets

possm

Coach
Good first post & I agree 100%.
We will have better centres eventually.

Euan looks small but runs hard & straight & does rely on tacklers falling off, or being put into a hole, as was the case with the offload which created space.

Weird that he can’t improve his reads in defence. That should be a given by now, considering the time & extraordinary opportunities he’s had in spite of lacklustre form over many years now.

In the real world of nonpartisan selections no one would choose a Chosen One over Lomax - especially now with his
goalkicking.

I won’t be surprised if Waterboy leaves him out of the 17 though

But the future is coming

Despite the resistance of old ways & teamsheets
Maybe Mary is reluctant to replace Aitken because Aitken is doing exactly what Mary is instructing him to do; even though Aitken is exposing himself as a lesser player.

Can anyone tell me, does Aitken make the same mistakes and show his lack of passing skill and defensive reads when he plays for Scotland?

denis preston

First Grade

Welcome Paddles ! I really think that Aitkin needs to go to winger.He certainly has at least finishing off speed, can tackle one on one and would be less involved in reading the play,would have great kick returns ( he is a really strong bugger ) and would allow Lomax to create inside him.He reminds me of Dugan when he tries to pass the ball , it's most unnatural.

getsmarty

Immortal
Welcome Paddles ! I really think that Aitkin needs to go to winger.He certainly has at least finishing off speed, can tackle one on one and would be less involved in reading the play,would have great kick returns ( he is a really strong bugger ) and would allow Lomax to create inside him.He reminds me of Dugan when he tries to pass the ball , it's most unnatural.

No No No...they already tried Aitken on the wing...massive fail...ran up and in creating gaps...

Dragonsamy

Bench

He can not catch Wouldl be a huge fail again

possm

Coach

Unfortunately Aitken is very poor under the high ball. The opposition would bomb him all game and most likely come up with some good results.

Gareth67

First Grade
It was indeed good to see the improvement from Euan on Thursday night , but as said by others , he still has a lot of mistakes in him mainly defensive, which no team can afford .
The quicker Lomax is given a permanent gig in the centers with Lafai the better .

The young fella went great guns in our final couple of appearances last season and in my opinion only needs a bit of self confidence to really nail down a permanent spot in the team . More so now that Widdop will be out of action for an extended period , we will miss his goal kicking and this is where Lomax will be of great benefit.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Welcome to the forum Paddles....look forward to your input on here

Pro Dragons

Juniors
It's hard to believe last year leading up to SOO game 1 Aitken was strongly considered for selection. Perhaps opposition teams did their homework on him to expose his defensive flaws.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Aitken is playing well. Anyone who replaces him should be proven to be in form. I believe Lomax can be that player, but when Aitken was put in round 1, and considering the first 3 games I wouldn’t drop him now...

possm

Coach
It's hard to believe last year leading up to SOO game 1 Aitken was strongly considered for selection. Perhaps opposition teams did their homework on him to expose his defensive flaws.

No Aitken has been making the same mistakes for a few years now. It maybe not all his fault; maybe he is playing to instructions and just can't carry out those instructions.

Aitken is a good ball carrier and when he does read the defence correctly is a solid tackler. The problem is he mostly gets the defensive reads wrong and comes up with thin air. In addition he really can't pass the ball either side/way and cannot set up his winger.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Not just the passing/defence ..
One of the biggest issues is the way he simply cannot protect his winger in the air ...

When we bomb to wings our players are easily blocked out by opposition centres protecting their wingers .. But Ravalawa has been stranded so often with no cover forcing him into the jumping contest. Aitken is terrible in this aspect of the game and always has been. Same with nightingale and nene in previous years.

Like the week before he had a very good opening 15 minutes then nothing much for the rest of the game ...

Bench utility/lock or elsewhere please.

Some of Aitken's best work can be found in last years Roosters game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/29/match-highlights-roosters-v-dragons---round-20-2018/

Mitchell twice destroys Aitken one on one and the action around 1:50 showing Aitken "blocking" a bomb contest.

Same as last weeks game

Aitken couldnt put Milford on the ground in their last try where Widdop got busted plus a bomb to Rava late in the 1st half was dropped aitken again not assisting with the block putting Rava and Oates into a one on one jump ...
And of course he was smoked on the inside but they dropped the ball.

So many derp moments in Aitkens game which are not improving.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Not just the passing/defence ..
One of the biggest issues is the way he simply cannot protect his winger in the air ...

When we bomb to wings our players are easily blocked out by opposition centres protecting their wingers .. But Ravalawa has been stranded so often with no cover forcing him into the jumping contest. Aitken is terrible in this aspect of the game and always has been. Same with nightingale and nene in previous years.

Like the week before he had a very good opening 15 minutes then nothing much for the rest of the game ...

Bench utility/lock or elsewhere please.

Some of Aitken's best work can be found in last years Roosters game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/29/match-highlights-roosters-v-dragons---round-20-2018/

Mitchell twice destroys Aitken one on one and the action around 1:50 showing Aitken "blocking" a bomb contest.

Same as last weeks game

Aitken couldnt put Milford on the ground in their last try where Widdop got busted plus a bomb to Rava late in the 1st half was dropped aitken again not assisting with the block putting Rava and Oates into a one on one jump ...
And of course he was smoked on the inside but they dropped the ball.

So many derp moments in Aitkens game which are not improving.

Agree RR with all of your perceptions

Euan’s not a team player in many respects & reminds me of so many kids in the under 10’s who hog the ball - it always dies with them.

Can we blame Waterboy - who’s been working on ‘simplifying’ Zac’s game too FFS?
I think not, as he’s instructed Matt & Jai to be creative gamebreakers in the semis.

Rare yet commendable moments of risktaking for Waterboy

Euan has no wider vision of the game.

Conversely Lomax is always looking to set someone up -

A complete young footballer with an 85% goalkicking percentage in the NRL

His passing is as silky
as the Gasniers

But conservatism in all its forms protects the known, the ordinary, the safe, the expected & the predictable, against the future

History will not be kind to this hiatus in our backline

Latest posts