What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Fordy20

Juniors
Let's be realistic. We wouldn't get Papenhauzen back, let alone Tedesco and Papenhauzen is behind Hughes and Drinkwater at the Storm. We have Moses taking up big dollars until 2022, which the Dogs won't be paying freight for after next year. We have Reynolds on big dollars too until 2021, but that's ok because I think he's the type of 5/8 we need outside of Brooks, who is on contract until the end of 2022. Other than that, the only certain starter in the backline is Marsters because of his goal kicking.

So even if we did sign a gun fullback, that would mean would lose both Momo and Gamble, because there is no path to first grade for either of them and we would have to spend more than their salaries combined to attract a gun fullback. That being said, we still have Jennings, Fonua, Thompson, Nofoaluma all battling for spots in the backline as well. We also need to make sure we keep our forwards in mind as well, especially Twal who comes off contract soon too.

Our cap isn't completely f**ked, but it's in bad shape and it certainly can't accommodate any gun backline signings unless we can shed some players on big packets. I would be giving up on signing someone for the backline for the next two years and just see what the lower grades can produce. Beyond that, I would also ban contract longer that three years, unless the years beyond that are an option in the clubs favour so we don't end up in this situation again.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
I know Teddy wants to come back for a fact. He always planned to go to the Chooks win a title and come back when it suited.

However, he’s off contract in 2021, meaning we would only get him by the time he’s pushing 30. Will he be a beast still by then?

Who knows - maybe some of you old pricks can tell me how you held up at 30 because I’m not quite there yet.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I know Teddy wants to come back for a fact. He always planned to go to the Chooks win a title and come back when it suited.

However, he’s off contract in 2021, meaning we would only get him by the time he’s pushing 30. Will he be a beast still by then?

Who knows - maybe some of you old pricks can tell me how you held up at 30 because I’m not quite there yet.

Every comment I've seen from him in the media since he switched was passively sticking the boot into our club whilst praising the professional nature of the Chooks. Granted that's probably accurate, but it does not sound like a guy too eager to get back here.

Time to chase someone else I reckon.

PS. I'm in my mid-30s and could easily dominate the NRL if I wasn't so focused on my chess career :p

Vic Mackey

Referee

I heard the same. Apparently he told a few of the team he wanted to ‘do a Lebron.’ Go to the best team to win a comp, then come back and try to do it with his home team.

A lot can change in 4 years but chances are the roosters will try and buy Ponga or Turbo by the time Teddy’s 30.

magpie_man

Juniors

Generally forwards and halves hit their peak around 30. Fullbacks might struggle as they're starting to lose a bit of pace by then as well as picking up a few injuries from the rigours of carting the ball up for set starts. Think the back-end of Slater's and Minichiello's careers.
I'm 36 and used to be a winger (so pretty quick) - I deadset run like I've been thrown in a tub of caramel these days.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Tedesco, Tapau and JAC are 3 players I'd love to see back in WT colours, but they never will. Sampled to good life elsewhere and won't be back. They may enjoy watching a WT game but that's it. May as well just enjoy those pictures of them in WT colours 'in the day' and just say dream. Other have and will come along to take the opportunity.

trevcogger

Juniors
Let's be realistic. We wouldn't get Papenhauzen back, let alone Tedesco and Papenhauzen is behind Hughes and Drinkwater at the Storm. We have Moses taking up big dollars until 2022, which the Dogs won't be paying freight for after next year. We have Reynolds on big dollars too until 2021, but that's ok because I think he's the type of 5/8 we need outside of Brooks, who is on contract until the end of 2022. Other than that, the only certain starter in the backline is Marsters because of his goal kicking.

So even if we did sign a gun fullback, that would mean would lose both Momo and Gamble, because there is no path to first grade for either of them and we would have to spend more than their salaries combined to attract a gun fullback. That being said, we still have Jennings, Fonua, Thompson, Nofoaluma all battling for spots in the backline as well. We also need to make sure we keep our forwards in mind as well, especially Twal who comes off contract soon too.

Our cap isn't completely f**ked, but it's in bad shape and it certainly can't accommodate any gun backline signings unless we can shed some players on big packets. I would be giving up on signing someone for the backline for the next two years and just see what the lower grades can produce. Beyond that, I would also ban contract longer that three years, unless the years beyond that are an option in the clubs favour so we don't end up in this situation again.

Agree about no contracts over 4 years anymore
We have been bitten by Reynolds and now Mbye.
Plus my jury is still out regarding Brooks.

trevcogger

Juniors
Honestly I can't stand people like that. I get he is a good player but to me he is scum and that is the way I will view him for life.

I'm probably harsh at times but I'm okay with that.

Oh well....He has a premiership ring now.
Chances of getting that at the Tigers was a pipe dream....

trevcogger

Juniors
Tedesco, Tapau and JAC are 3 players I'd love to see back in WT colours, but they never will. Sampled to good life elsewhere and won't be back. They may enjoy watching a WT game but that's it. May as well just enjoy those pictures of them in WT colours 'in the day' and just say dream. Other have and will come along to take the opportunity.

Addo Carr will be back
Its well known hes a tigers fan and so are ALL his family...
You wait and see.....

trevcogger

Juniors
i would also like us to chase the package deal of Turbo and brother.......outbid Manly.
Money talks these days.